Moving/Adding Fencing

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

sharky300

Moving/Adding Fencing

#1 Post by sharky300 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:28 am

Good day all... I will do my best to make this make sense and not get to wordy... but not easy to explain...

I have a 24' "Deluxe" Grumman Fun Ship- 88 model - motor blew up... and has some other issues, seats need work, carpet, and leaky pontoons... so I started shopping.

I just bought a 89 model 24' Grumman Fun Ship (Not Deluxe)- Pretty decent shape... but one big difference in the boats- I ASSume it has to do with the word "deluxe"

The fencing on my original boat goes all the way around the back of the platform and encloses the engine-There is a compartment for the gas tank, a padded platform over the engine, and a big storage bin on the other side...

The 89 model fencing cuts in in front of the engine, Leaving it exposed, There are two small platforms for gas tanks to sit on and a place for the battery, all behind the fencing and in the open...

My question- How hard would it be to move the fencing off one boat, to the other. I really like having all of the tanks and stuff covered, and all of the extra storage- It also greatly reduces the engine noise while in the boat... What do I need to look for to see if it will work??

Thanks for the help- I will get some pictures up here in a few days if interested...

Jason

Grumman

Re: Moving/Adding Fencing

#2 Post by Grumman » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:58 am

well I cant answer your question, But I have the same boat as your newly acquired model. I would say it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle to switch. if your going to change the rails you may as well put new carpet on, if your replacing carpet you may as well replace the plywood, etc... at least that's how I am. having the motor exposed is a little noisy but I like being able to get to it easily. I run an old 73 Johnson so I have had to do on water repairs.

sharky300

#3 Post by sharky300 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:38 am

Well, I am going to be doing the carpet/decking on the "new to me" boat anyway... So I think I am going to give it a shot. I will post pic's and progress as they happen!!! (which may be slow at first)

sharky300

#4 Post by sharky300 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:58 pm

OK- So I am going to move the fencing from one boat to another and I would like some opinions...

I am only going to swap the rear half of the fencing. I will end up needing to swap the tin... is that going to be possible, or will I destroy it trying to get it out??

Has anyone ever done it?

Jason