Battery Question??

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Trollin79

Battery Question??

#1 Post by Trollin79 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:41 am

Ok I am planing my electrical on my rebuild. Trying to decide if I want to do two batteries. Or if I want to do a Dual purpose AGM battery. Mostly I see us using the radio a lot when anchored but not really much else.. Just don't know If I wanna spend time figuring out a dual battery wiring scheme.

JBO

Re: Battery Question??

#2 Post by JBO » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:31 pm

Trollin79 wrote:Ok I am planing my electrical on my rebuild. Trying to decide if I want to do two batteries. Or if I want to do a Dual purpose AGM battery. Mostly I see us using the radio a lot when anchored but not really much else.. Just don't know If I wanna spend time figuring out a dual battery wiring scheme.
Going with a single battery is simpler. You can get a really good single battery that has more than enough reserve power and cranking amps to do everything, without adding a bunch of extra wiring, switches, relays, etc.

A battery such as this would be good (and probably overkill):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FFVI8A
2017 Lowe SD224 w/ 150HP Mercury

Trollin79

#3 Post by Trollin79 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:54 pm

yeah I was looking at a Sears DIE HARD marine AGM
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-m ... ockType=G1

1150 CCA and 205 min Reserve

BobG

#4 Post by BobG » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:00 pm

Two batteries buys you reliability.

Follow the link in my sig.
2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-n-Fun Tritoon, with Mercury 115 HP 4-Stroke
"Trine SS Cape" (Trying 2S Cape)
Add a battery: viewtopic.php?t=13546&p=105893#p105893
I'm not a liberal, but I play one on this site.

JBO

#5 Post by JBO » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Trollin79 wrote:yeah I was looking at a Sears DIE HARD marine AGM
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-m ... ockType=G1

1150 CCA and 205 min Reserve
You should be good with anything in that same category of higher-end AGM batteries. I have the Exide linked above and its a beast of a battery and works well. I have (2) trolling motor AGM batteries on board plus a jump starter pack so always have a back, if needed.
2017 Lowe SD224 w/ 150HP Mercury

Tankplunkett

#6 Post by Tankplunkett » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:31 pm

When I rewired mine I went with a single battery. Nothing fancy, just a Walmart deep cycle battery. I always carry a second battery that I can swap if I need to but luckily I've never had too. I keep the fish finder and the stereo on the entire time I'm on the toon, usually at least 5-6 hours at a time, sometimes longer.

ROLAND

#7 Post by ROLAND » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:11 am

I think you'd be fine going with a single battery... that's all I run, but I do carry a jump box... as far as the battery, I started to go with an agm, but I got 4+ years on the continental marine battery that came with the boat, so I just bought another one.. never had an issue with it cranking..
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

New at This

#8 Post by New at This » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:26 am

I have 2 battery system we put in, smaller group 24 size for starting and a larger group 27 size for radio, led lights in the roof, spot light etc. We installed a "Boston" switch that lets us isolate batteries or run both or shut everything off. There is a common terminal out, battery1 and battery 2 terminal to hook them up to, grounds hook together. Then you can charge all your batteries when running and shut off your started battery when stopped and have no issue with dead batteries. Switch was around $20 online, amazon or ebay don't which one. Hope this helps.

Trollin79

#9 Post by Trollin79 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:23 am

New at This wrote:I have 2 battery system we put in, smaller group 24 size for starting and a larger group 27 size for radio, led lights in the roof, spot light etc. We installed a "Boston" switch that lets us isolate batteries or run both or shut everything off. There is a common terminal out, battery1 and battery 2 terminal to hook them up to, grounds hook together. Then you can charge all your batteries when running and shut off your started battery when stopped and have no issue with dead batteries. Switch was around $20 online, amazon or ebay don't which one. Hope this helps.
I like the boston switch Idea.. Ill have to look at it. If not I think I will go with my AGM and a jump pack..

Thanks for the input guys!!