Horn Placement???

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

sharky300

Horn Placement???

#1 Post by sharky300 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi all- I have a question about where you mount your horns.... In my limited experience, both horns I have seen have been mounted in/on the helm. The wiring kit I got from Pontoonstuff has the wires running all the way to the front with the nav/docking lights. Is that where I should try and locate it???

Thanks -

Jason

New at This

Re: Horn Placement???

#2 Post by New at This » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:04 pm

When I redid some wiring on my boat I put the horn up front, under the deck as close as I could get it to the pontoon. I hoped that I would provide some protection from the splashing off the front of the toon and not make everybody on deck deaf when I blow it. I put in a Wolo air horn, not sure how loud it is in front of the boat but it does the job. Seems to be working so far this season.

jediger

#3 Post by jediger » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:18 pm

Mine is mounted on the starboard side under the deck. Works fine.
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba
2014 Premier Cast-a-way 231, PTX; 2014 Evinrude 250HO ETEC

jediger

#4 Post by jediger » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:19 pm

Mine is mounted on the starboard side under the deck. Works fine.
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba
2014 Premier Cast-a-way 231, PTX; 2014 Evinrude 250HO ETEC

sharky300

#5 Post by sharky300 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:14 am

"Sounds" :biggrin2 like a plan then... I will mount under the deck!!!

Thanks for the input!!!

Jason

ralph

#6 Post by ralph » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:50 am

New at This wrote:When I redid some wiring on my boat I put the horn up front, under the deck as close as I could get it to the pontoon. I hoped that I would provide some protection from the splashing off the front of the toon and not make everybody on deck deaf when I blow it. I put in a Wolo air horn, not sure how loud it is in front of the boat but it does the job. Seems to be working so far this season.

Can you tell me what model Wolo you bought? Have to replace my OE horn. Not even 1 season old and i don't want to do a warrenty claim because i don't like this horn. Thanks.
2015 Sweetwater 2086 Coastal Edition - All Toon'd Up
2015 90 HP Yamaha
Mid American Dual Wheel Bunk Trailer
2017 4WD GMC Canyon

New at This

#7 Post by New at This » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:18 pm

I bought the Wolo "bad boy", it is an air horn with the compressor and horns all as one unit. I have a harbor freight store near me, and that is where I got it. They are on sale off and on for $40, and they are usually only $45, or sometimes they have 20% off coupons in magazines, search the web site for lot #94117. Run heavy enough wire to it as there is some amp draw with it. Wolo builds all different horns they are not just a harbor freight brand, so you can search for Wolo's web site as well. I did tip the openings down slightly so any water splashed in can drain out. Hope this helps,if you need any more help just post it!

ralph

#8 Post by ralph » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:14 am

New at This wrote:I bought the Wolo "bad boy", it is an air horn with the compressor and horns all as one unit. I have a harbor freight store near me, and that is where I got it. They are on sale off and on for $40, and they are usually only $45, or sometimes they have 20% off coupons in magazines, search the web site for lot #94117. Run heavy enough wire to it as there is some amp draw with it. Wolo builds all different horns they are not just a harbor freight brand, so you can search for Wolo's web site as well. I did tip the openings down slightly so any water splashed in can drain out. Hope this helps,if you need any more help just post it!
I'll check it out. At H.F. all the time. Surprised I haven't noticed it before. Thanks.
2015 Sweetwater 2086 Coastal Edition - All Toon'd Up
2015 90 HP Yamaha
Mid American Dual Wheel Bunk Trailer
2017 4WD GMC Canyon