Party Hut Bimini conversion to hardtop

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Seon

Party Hut Bimini conversion to hardtop

#1 Post by Seon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:25 pm

I decided to convert the existing Bimini Top to a Hardtop in order to gain deck space for the kids, grandkids and great grandkids to sun bathe.

Here's the start of the conversion. 5 each 1.5" x 2.5" x .125" x 24' 6063 rectangular tubing.
The deck frame will be 10' x 8' covered with plywood then either carpet or linolemum.

I think I also have enough material to convert the stern Bimini top to a Hardtop.

Plan is to have the frame(s) fabricated, tig welded and installed within a week, unless of course, I'm called to go fishing or crabbing :biggrin2 .

I'll post pics accordingly.
1989 28' Tracker Party Hut
115 hp 4 stroke Yamaha
Sacramento, Ca

joe20toon

Re: Party Hut Bimini conversion to hardtop

#2 Post by joe20toon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:32 pm

Sounds like a great project. Don't forget the pics later on. :thumbsup
2016 20 foot Sylvan RPT (V Pontoons)
Yamaha Vmax SHO 115HP
80 Pound Thrust RipTide Trolling Motor
Humminbird Helix 7 Side Imaging

Seon

#3 Post by Seon » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:40 pm

Today I was able to cut the pieces to length then laid them on the ground to take this picture.

Hopefully by Tuesday, I will be able to bring to a shop to have them tig welded together.

115 hp 4 stroke Yamaha
Sacramento, Ca

WGBowes

#4 Post by WGBowes » Tue May 17, 2016 4:15 pm

Nice project, Thinking about doing the same, any new pictures? Advice. Walt

Walt

#5 Post by Walt » Wed May 18, 2016 8:50 am

An aluminum truck body is the trick to this.
Already constructed, built to withstand the pounding, easy to install windows, insulate, and interior finish.

Many size choices....

See your local truck junkyard.

Seon

#6 Post by Seon » Thu May 19, 2016 6:21 am

Sorry that his picture doesn't do justice but the only one I have for now.

I bought the vinyl covering here at Pontoon Stuff and applied it on the hardtop and also on the existing cabin.

I also plan to replace the rear bimini with a hardtop.
115 hp 4 stroke Yamaha
Sacramento, Ca

WGBowes

#7 Post by WGBowes » Fri May 20, 2016 7:50 am

Nice work, I just ordered my aluminum to extend the back 6.0 Feet. I will post some pics. Walt

BoatCop

#8 Post by BoatCop » Fri May 20, 2016 12:29 pm

I would urge an evaluation by a marine engineer after the project is complete. The fixed cover adds a lot of weight to the boat and raises the center of gravity, essentially making it top heavy. At a minimum the max HP would have to be lowered, as well as the maximum people/weight adjusted downward. There may have to be weight added below deck to compensate for the weight added up top.

Just as an example, a 27' Crest tri-toon with standard biminis would allow a 350 HP engine. But one with a hard upper deck is limited to 150 HP and about 750 lbs reduction in total allowable weight.
Alan
2012 22' Sun Tracker DLX Party Barge w/Merc 90 EFI 4 Stroke
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2009 GMC Sierra
2001 Jeep TJ Wrangler
1999 Southwind 34L MH
2 little Basset Hounds

sunedog

#9 Post by sunedog » Mon May 23, 2016 6:45 am

BoatCop wrote:I would urge an evaluation by a marine engineer after the project is complete. The fixed cover adds a lot of weight to the boat and raises the center of gravity, essentially making it top heavy. At a minimum the max HP would have to be lowered, as well as the maximum people/weight adjusted downward. There may have to be weight added below deck to compensate for the weight added up top.

Just as an example, a 27' Crest tri-toon with standard biminis would allow a 350 HP engine. But one with a hard upper deck is limited to 150 HP and about 750 lbs reduction in total allowable weight.
Great point.

"Last fall, Captain Mike Dunn from TowBoatUS Crystal River near Tampa Bay called Seaworthy to report a disturbing trend: several capsizes of pontoon boats and skiffs outfitted with hardtops. The weight of these structures six feet or more above the deck increases the already high center of gravity on what are essentially flat-bottomed boats. Add a large wave, a big wake, or a bunch of guys on the hardtop as in the photo, and the boat may well be happier upside down than right side up. The weight of the hardtop in combination with a full load of partiers in the stern can also lead to backfilling of livewells on skiffs, causing the boat to capsize or sink. Bottom line: If you're thinking of accessorizing, check with the manufacturer to be sure the boat can safely take the weight, and don't allow passengers to ride on your new upper deck. If the boat came equipped with a hardtop but doesn't have a ladder or seating up top, it's not meant to be used for sightseeing. Even if the hardtop is clearly designed for passenger use, pay careful attention to the builders' recommendations as to how many people can safely be on top of the boat as opposed to in it.

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/magazin ... /alert.asp