New floor install tips, ideas and questions.

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Barry

New floor install tips, ideas and questions.

#1 Post by Barry » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:46 am

Ok, I have the new carpet kit ordered from PS. Went with the 24 oz kit with the carpet, the SS bolts, the glue, the whole 9 yards. I will pick up the MARINE GRADE plywood locally this week. Cant wait to get this going. Couple of quick questions though.....

First, the black rubber sticky strips from the old floor, do the have to be cleaned off? I already got most of it off. But there is a thin film layer that is real tough to get all the way off. How important is it to be 100% clean? And, if it does ALL have to come off, any tips or ideas on how to get it off?

Second, once I put down the new black rubber strip stuff, and the new plywood, do I need to put anything on the plywood where the seams are just to smooth it out? Im thinking of something like a bondo putty?

Comstocker

Re: New floor install tips, ideas and questions.

#2 Post by Comstocker » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:11 pm

I don't remember putting anything down on the plywood from the topside. The one thing we did do was rent a carpet roller from the local rental center to make sure that the carpet rolled out flat and smooth, was well worth it!

Ken
Ken McMillan
Mayor of 100' of Paradise on Comstock Lake

Barry

#3 Post by Barry » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:59 pm

Ok cool, and thank you! I was thinking about the roller as well. A buddy of mine, who Ive talked into helping, says we can just use a 2X4 to "rake" out any bubbles. And, I understand his idea, and, he may be right. BUT, Im still thinking about the roller.

sunedog

#4 Post by sunedog » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:37 am

Barry wrote:Ok cool, and thank you! I was thinking about the roller as well. A buddy of mine, who Ive talked into helping, says we can just use a 2X4 to "rake" out any bubbles. And, I understand his idea, and, he may be right. BUT, Im still thinking about the roller.
Get the roller. Well worth the $15 it will cost you for a day. And do a search and read up on installation of vinyl or carpet. Here's a couple for you:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20805&hilit=console

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15791