What to use for the new deck...

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

kyleent

What to use for the new deck...

#1 Post by kyleent » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Geeze I am giving myself a headache on this...

Original plan was to remove the carpet and just replace it... But the carpet won't come up... we tried sanding, wire cup, etc and even stripper... Nothing works without likely hours and hours of work and destroying the plywood.

New plan... replace the plywood as well. Its a 95 boat and I assume whats there is factory... Currently looks like the green treated stuff and is 5/8 thick. It was "notched" to slide into those T holders that are welded onto the cross members...

I have no idea what to use as there are so many opinions.

I know several people who have used the Advantech and had good results after 4 -5 years. Talked to a guy on here today that painted it with exterior oil based paint and installed it in 2011... He says its still good. That doesn't really scare me. But I can only find it in 3/4 inch... They make it in 1/2 and 5/8 but nobody has it. Not to mention is $25 a sheet.

I can get 1/2 inch marine plywood shipped in for $90 a sheet. That would slide right into those T guides... but is 1/2 thick enough?

I could just cut those T's off and then use 3/4... but I am also trying to keep weight down as much as possible...

Budget is also a concern... wasn't planning to spend $600 on plywood...

HELP!!!!!

teecro

Re: What to use for the new deck...

#2 Post by teecro » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:19 pm

If I was in the need to replace flooring on a pontoon I would use nothing but the likes of this stuff http://www.pontoonstuff.com/collections ... de-plywood and only in 3/4" would I use...
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

kyleent

#3 Post by kyleent » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:36 pm

Well... I ended up going with the Advantech 3/4 inch and coated it with zinser oil based sealing primer... So, we will see what happens...

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:17 pm

You'll be replacing your floor very soon. It's an inside product--not an exterior graded plywood even. If you're determined to use the stuff, at least put a waterproofer like RedGard on it after installation--below and above.

The only product to use on pontoon decks is real marine plywood in 3/4" thickness. The stuff is also a very structural part of your boat. It's remarkably stable and long lasting which means it's a good value.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

kyleent

#5 Post by kyleent » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:56 am

I guess we will see...

I have talked to 2 people that have had it in service for 5+ years with good results so far... I learned of it from the local marine shop who used it in his boat...

teecro

#6 Post by teecro » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:45 am

kyleent wrote:I guess we will see...

I have talked to 2 people that have had it in service for 5+ years with good results so far... I learned of it from the local marine shop who used it in his boat...
So you coated OSB with an oil based primer? I know someone who used OSB and painted it with porch & floor enamel for the raised 2nd deck on their toon. It lasted less than 2 years before he was afraid of letting even his kids on it...
T CRO

Seon

#7 Post by Seon » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:53 am

Someone mentioned using epoxy resin to seal the plywood. :?:
1989 28' Tracker Party Hut
115 hp 4 stroke Yamaha
Sacramento, Ca

teecro

#8 Post by teecro » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:10 am

Seon wrote:Someone mentioned using epoxy resin to seal the plywood. :?:
For the transom I would absolutely say yes. To sealing the floor on a pontoon? No if for no other reason than cost and there would be no need if the correct material is used. When used inside a hull the materials used is almost generally always coated with resin and/or gel-coat as water may get trapped in pockets and cause rot from the inside out.
T CRO