New carpet install questions

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Barry

New carpet install questions

#1 Post by Barry » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:43 am

Ok, the floor is done and ready for the carpet. I got the 24 oz carpet kit from PS. The carpet I got is actually about 2 or 3 inches wider than the boat. Was planning on just trimming it off after the glue is set up. But, then I got to thinking..... would it hurt anything to just leave it there? Kinda wrap it down and under the floor. May give a little bit more protection to the edges of the plywood??? I don't know, just a thought. Another question. I have had to drill through carpet in the past, and it always snags and pulls that one string that ends up running all the way across the floor. Now that I will have brand new carpet glued down, Im trying not to mess it up. How do you drill through the carpet with out pulling the strings out?

sunedog

Re: New carpet install questions

#2 Post by sunedog » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:14 am

I have replaced carpet with carpet on one boat and carpet with vinyl on my current boat. I wouldn't have been able to wrap the excess over the plywood edges of either boat because the side trim fits so snugly around the plywood.

To prevent carpet snags, either cut a small X with a utility knife and peel back the carpet a bit before drilling or heat a drill bit or suitable size punch with a lighter or propane torch and melt a hole through the carpet before drilling.

Barry

#3 Post by Barry » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:56 pm

I was thinking the same way about the "X" cut, then drill. But, I'm also thinking it is glues down. It may not want to come back up very easily....

mpilot

#4 Post by mpilot » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:10 pm

They just did a recarpet on ship shape tv and the replay should be running tonight I think on Fox Sports South if you have that channel. They used a regular carpet cutter (square razor blade) from the top side and got a nice flush cut on the sides. For the bolt holes they were able to just shove a screw driver up through the hole from the bottom but it looked like they did it when the glue was still tacky. I like the idea of the heated punch or even an adjustable watt soldering iron would work to burn through. I have used one of these before to punch holes through canvas for snaps. If you don't get it too hot it works great to make sure the edges are sealed and won't unravel.

Barry

#5 Post by Barry » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:23 pm

I'm actually liking that idea too. Seems like it may be easier. Just, don't just set the hot punch or soldering iron down just anywhere! Would hate to have a burn spot in the middle of the floor on the new carpet.

mpilot

#6 Post by mpilot » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:26 pm

Barry wrote:I'm actually liking that idea too. Seems like it may be easier. Just, don't just set the hot punch or soldering iron down just anywhere! Would hate to have a burn spot in the middle of the floor on the new carpet.
Yeah, I would do the as many of the holes as you can from the bottom if you pre drilled holes before the carpet. I assume you are doing the spacers for the railings when you put them back on? If not I would strongly suggest them as they make a ton of difference.

Barry

#7 Post by Barry » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:24 pm

Actually no, I didn't even think about predrilling the holes before the carpet. I was just planning on throwing the rails up, and drilling after the carpet Didn't even think about it.... great, more things to think about. ....