Redecking Materials?

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

SwiftCreekJay

Redecking Materials?

#1 Post by SwiftCreekJay » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:27 am

First time caller, love your show :-)

I'm going to be redecking and recarpeting my pontoon boat. I've been all over forums, Google, etc. trying to find out if marine grade plywood is necessary or if pressure treated plywood (not a fan of this b/c of the drying time needed as I was looking to do this in the next month or so) or regular 3/4 inch plywood sealed with epoxy or some other type of sealant. I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and doing the marine board, but if I don't have to spend that much per board I really don't want to!

So, just looking to get some opinions from you fine folks on what's best really. If I use marine board should I seal it? Will today's pressure treated wood harm the aluminum? I have a 100 questions bouncing around in my head and just really looking for the best option. If the best option is ponying up for the marine board, so be it. But, if there are cheaper alternatives that work just as well...GREAT!

Appreciate your opinions/advice in advance! :nana

Bamaman

Re: Redecking Materials?

#2 Post by Bamaman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Last time I used exterior plywood, it lasted about 5 years--in a boathouse. I got some rain blow in under the back end of the boathouse.

Do yourself a favor and just go with all new marine grade plywood. The trouble is finding the stuff at local building supplies as Lowes/Home Depot don't sell it. I'm very fortunate to have a complete plywood store in our industrial park.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:04 pm

Go on PontoonStuff.com tell them what size you have and what you want to do it with and they will send you everything needed to do it and it will last.

For all the work, it don't pay to save a few dollars and having to do it again in five years, My toon was 22 years old when I redone it, our floor was solid, but we were changing the floor plan so ordered a new floor too and reused most of our floor on other projects and made the sundeck out of it
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

rancherlee

#4 Post by rancherlee » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:46 am

Is this a trailer queen or a dock queen? I used Auruco Ply when I rebuilt mine 6 years ago and it still looks like new. It's a naturally rot resistant Pine 7 ply 3/4" that uses the same glue as Marine grade plywood. Do NOT use green treated, the copper in it reacts with aluminum. If its tied to a dock all summer I wouldn't use anything less than marine grade, mines a trailer queen for the most part. My local Menards has no trouble ordering in marine grade if I need it.
1988' Kennedy 20' "Haley's Comet"
Rebuilt 2016 with 25" single strake outer tubes and a 25x23" straked U-tube
2003 Suzuki DF140 - Yamaha 9.9HT kicker - 39.1@6300rpm

SwiftCreekJay

#5 Post by SwiftCreekJay » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:36 am

Thanks guys! Yeah, it's going to be docked so I think I'm just going to go with the marine plywood to be safe. I'm ordering the carpet kit from pontoonstuff.com, but will buy the boards locally from a lumber yard that has them cheaper. Thanks again for your input!