LED light Strips...

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

sharky300

LED light Strips...

#1 Post by sharky300 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 am

Me again- I know I have seen several of you with what I presume are the LED light strips on your rigs. I am getting some for Fathers day... and was curious how you installed? The look a little flimsy to just try and attach the vinyl covered seat base? With kids and dogs and water and legs and...whatever else... I see them getting knocked off or broken.

I saw some aluminum extrusion trim pieces that are made to house the strips- looks like it would work well??? Has anyone used these, or what other techniques have you used??

Thanks!!!

Jason

Comstocker

Re: LED light Strips...

#2 Post by Comstocker » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:03 pm

I used the aluminum trim pieces when I installed the LED strips on the exterior of our pontoon above the logs. When I installed them under the seat bases I added a bead of outdoor silicone adhesive to the "3M" adhesive that was on the back of the light strips. I had previously tried just using the adhesive strips that the light strips came with but they wouldn't stay put on the grainy surface of the seat bases. Since adding the outdoor adhesive they've stayed in place so far.
Ken McMillan
Mayor of 100' of Paradise on Comstock Lake

Milabu69

#3 Post by Milabu69 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:04 pm

I used 1/2 x 1/2 aluminum angle. Painted it to match color of seat base. Then screwed it to base with stainless screws. Than stuck light strip to the aluminum angle.

Rustynuts

#4 Post by Rustynuts » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:33 pm

I know you can get kits cheaper but I went with the OPT7 car underbody kit to make my life easier....I just have to many projects. It comes with aluminum mounted strips, waterproof, many lengths of connecting cords, several options for wiring including cigarette lighter, direct battery or fuse panel. I will be putting it in this weekend.

http://www.opt-7.com/aura-led-aluminum- ... hting-kit/

sharky300

#5 Post by sharky300 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:59 pm

Thanks for the ideas.... I'm going to get them in and see what they look like before I get too far gone. If they ever show up- Jus got an e-mail that they are on Back Order and could not supply, but mysteriously, they have more in stock at a higher price.... :x :x :x

not sure what's going to happen there... They offered a lesser set up, for more money... I thought that was pretty nice of them. I like Amazon, but every once in a while you get something like this- Oh well-

Thanks again for the info- hopefully, I will have some pic's- If it ever shows up

Jason

COTTS4x4

#6 Post by COTTS4x4 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:59 pm

I bought mine off of Amazon also and then went to home depot and purchased some aluminum flatstock that I attached the strips to.

Here's a short video - https://youtu.be/Fl3LhrNAtaw
Attachments
IMG_3329.JPG
IMG_3329.JPG (83.09 KiB) Viewed 5576 times
IMG_3322.JPG
IMG_3322.JPG (75.16 KiB) Viewed 5578 times
[b][i]
2013 Sweetwater 2286 Triple Toon
T.O.T.A.L. Package - 150 Yamaha
[/i][/b]

sharky300

#7 Post by sharky300 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:58 pm

That looks awesome!! Thanks... Hope mine look half as good.:.

Jason

sanfordturbo

#8 Post by sanfordturbo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:28 am

What about these? Not sure if the sticky backs will adhere well after time.

1998 Suntracker Party Hut
Force 75hp 2-cycle outboard

photonfanatic

#9 Post by photonfanatic » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:57 pm

[quote="COTTS4x4"]I bought mine off of Amazon also and then went to home depot and purchased some aluminum flatstock that I attached the strips to.

Here's a short video - https://youtu.be/Fl3LhrNAtaw[/quote]

Question:

What made you decide to sort of stick them to the side, instead of sticking them to the top? Of the area in the pic. I like the way your pic of the light looks, but I don't want to be able to see the source of the light. I want it to be diffused, much like yours seems to be. I was thinking if you hung them from the ledge there, (which does look like they'd fit underneath there) that there would be no chance of being able to actually see the LED's themselves.

COTTS4x4

#10 Post by COTTS4x4 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:44 pm

[quote="photonfanatic"][quote="COTTS4x4"]I bought mine off of Amazon also and then went to home depot and purchased some aluminum flatstock that I attached the strips to.

Here's a short video - https://youtu.be/Fl3LhrNAtaw[/quote]

Question:

What made you decide to sort of stick them to the side, instead of sticking them to the top? Of the area in the pic. I like the way your pic of the light looks, but I don't want to be able to see the source of the light. I want it to be diffused, much like yours seems to be. I was thinking if you hung them from the ledge there, (which does look like they'd fit underneath there) that there would be no chance of being able to actually see the LED's themselves.[/quote]

That ledge isnt as wide as it looks in the pics, and the seats had molded spots that stopped me from going any higher than where they are now. Plus I didnt want any gaps between the seats and the way I did it allowed me to make solid strips. You would have to get on the floor to see the light source.
[b][i]
2013 Sweetwater 2286 Triple Toon
T.O.T.A.L. Package - 150 Yamaha
[/i][/b]