Sundeck -DIY

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Dancingfish

Sundeck -DIY

#1 Post by Dancingfish » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:06 am

Hello all- I am new to the forums and new to rebuilding. I have owned 2 new pontoons in the past and enjoyed every minute of boating. We recently picked up a 1999 Northwood (20 foot) that had seen better days. This was originally set up as a fishing boat and honestly we have a bassboat so really have no intention of using this as anything other than a playboat!

What is lacking on this boat is comfortable seating and storage. We have one couch and 4 fishing seats and this is the first boat I have ever owned without a rear entry gate. I would like to add a sundeck on the back with storage under it. Obviously a gas tank would need to be on one side. I am not sure what materials would be best to make this out of? It would need to be sturdy enough to sit on but light enough so as to not add too much weight to the boat.

Have you made one? I was thinking I could cover it either with carpet or white vinyl and add a cushion on top.

I have fallen in love with the rear facing lounge seats but can't find anything after market-- would love to get ideas on how to make that happen too.
Vicki
Hailing from Virginia
[i]1999 Northwood[/i]

ROLAND

Re: Sundeck -DIY

#2 Post by ROLAND » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:17 am

Dancingfish wrote:Hello all- I am new to the forums and new to rebuilding. I have owned 2 new pontoons in the past and enjoyed every minute of boating. We recently picked up a 1999 Northwood (20 foot) that had seen better days. This was originally set up as a fishing boat and honestly we have a bassboat so really have no intention of using this as anything other than a playboat!

What is lacking on this boat is comfortable seating and storage. We have one couch and 4 fishing seats and this is the first boat I have ever owned without a rear entry gate. I would like to add a sundeck on the back with storage under it. Obviously a gas tank would need to be on one side. I am not sure what materials would be best to make this out of? It would need to be sturdy enough to sit on but light enough so as to not add too much weight to the boat.

Have you made one? I was thinking I could cover it either with carpet or white vinyl and add a cushion on top.

I have fallen in love with the rear facing lounge seats but can't find anything after market-- would love to get ideas on how to make that happen too.
As far as getting some of the furniture you may want, take a look at pontoonstuff.com I know a lot of the guys on this forum have used them and I don't recall anyone being unhappy with them.. also I believe you can get a 10 % discount if you're a member of this forum... have fun with the rebuild.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana