Adding center tube & need advice!

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bfowler

Adding center tube & need advice!

#1 Post by bfowler » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:24 pm

I'm starting a make over on a 24' Sylvan pontoon w/ 23" tubes. I want to add a 3rd tube and need advice! I'm leaning toward a center tube w/ a transom. Is it worth the expense to go with one with a transom? I'll be upgrading to a 115 or 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. I have seen these 10-15' center tubes w/ transoms...do they work? Or go with full length? Also, from what I have researched I'll get performance with going with a larger center tube like a 25"? Please any and all advice welcome!

ron nh

Re: Adding center tube & need advice!

#2 Post by ron nh » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:28 pm

I would absolutely go with 25" or even 27" and transom. This may be unanimous, let's see.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

bfowler

#3 Post by bfowler » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:39 pm

Yes, I think that will be unanimous. Probably the biggest question to answer is length of center tube.

willy13

#4 Post by willy13 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:22 pm

Manitou will certainly agree with going with a 27" center tube, as they market the hell out of there 23,27,23 v-toon.

Other manufactures will say theres is the best.

You will definitely want to make sure the center pontoon has lifting strakes.

I will be going with a full length pontoon with a transom and lifting strakes this winter.

mpilot

#5 Post by mpilot » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:52 pm

When we were looking to buy we looked at both full center toon and express toon where it is a toon that runs from the front to right in front of the transom pod. For whatever reason these were a little faster. My thought that was when running wide open the middle toon was basically out of the water. One manufacturer has an express toon package that will run right under 50 with a 150. The downside was I didn't think the ride was nearly as good and 150 was the max hp.

Our boat has the 1 inch lower middle toon. This isn't for straight line performance but more for turning and water sports. If I was building one like you I would either get the same size tube and drop it 2 inches or go two inches bigger in diameter. If you do this you need a toon with lifting strakes or you will still not really get on plane and take advantage of adding the toon. Great Lakes Skipper sells oem pontoons at a fair price and there are a few other places I've seen them but can't recall. If you can just get a regular toon any good metal shop or mobile welder should be able to add the lifting strakes. If you do the bigger or lower toons and add lifting strakes to the outside toons then only add them on the inside or it will offset the turning ability you gained.

Bamaman

#6 Post by Bamaman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:06 am

Pontoons are strange animals. Sometimes people spend quite a big of $ to get negligible increases in performance. You never know if adding a 3rd toon improves speed or handling. Sometimes they plow through the water. Sometimes they lift the engine and make the propeller ventilate. And sometimes they work well.

But dollar for dollar, the best money spent would be the addition of lifting strakes on your 2 toon boat. The way to more speed is to get the nosecones out of the water to where the hull planes off--not plowing through the water as a displacement hull. Many people are looking for faster cruising, and 2 hulls will just about always outrun the same boat with tritoons.

As far as adding horsepower, you have not said if you're going to add a new outboard--or if you have a source for a good used motor. Most prefer 150 horsepower for 3 toons and lifting strakes. But if I had a boat over a year or two old, I'd be very hesitant to spend $12K for a 150 hp new motor (with rigging) on such an old boat. You'd never recover more than 50% of the investment in the motor if you sold the boat.

And the last resort would be to clean up your boat and retail it in the Spring--and buy a boat equipped like you like.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

zoom650

#7 Post by zoom650 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:01 pm

If mine, I think I'd choose a 25" to match closer with your 23's. Adding lifting strakes, .. definitely.

As for length, I'd line the bows as close to even as you can to your current tubes. It would be okay for your transom to extend out further. Mine does by 18 inches. Then add the engine to that.

I'd keep the bow tubes lined up because as you trim your bow up, you want all 3 tubes lifted, or else you'll be plowing water with the bow of the 3rd tube.

Unless you're needing the extra buoyancy a third tube adds to carry more people, just add lifting strakes and a 150 and call it a good day.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

bfowler

#8 Post by bfowler » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks for the replies & advice. I'm a little confused though! So I'll be adding a used 150 four stroke or worst case a 115. I'm looking to gain overall performance (speed & handling). Is lifting strakes on the existing tubes gonna give me this alone? From what I've read & all it seems like it's definitely worth adding the third tube...right? I recently bought a set of rails off a 2015 Sylvan & up to now this is all the money I have in this boat. I also have new vinyl flooring for it that was giving to us from a boat manufacture. This is why I don't mind putting a little money in adding the extra tube. It was my grandfather's & mine now.

Options seem to be:

1. No third tube & adding lifting strakes to existing tubes (lifting strakes on inside only???)
2. Add full length center tube (add lifting strakes to where???)
3. Partial length tube?

ron nh

#9 Post by ron nh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:48 am

You could achieve speed desire with stakes on your 2 tubes but not any upgrade handling wise, If for example you're tubing with strakes on 2 tube you'll slow down miserably when cornering as you do now. A full center with strakes and transom, with strakes on the inside of the outer tubes is what most performance models now have. Mine has strakes on both sides of outer tubes as well, which is great for lift but the outer strakes get in the way when cornering. The other upside to a center toon is more weight carrying ability as far as number of people and larger motor option. What Bama is saying is that people dick around with these things and there very temperamental and don't get the desired outcome after spending all the cash. One of my friends added strakes to and old tri-toon and actually lost speed. I would copy exact from a manufacturer as where to place strakes if adding.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

bfowler

#10 Post by bfowler » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:11 pm

Thank you for the advice.

What's the low down on these 10-15' center tubes w/ transoms that I see? I'm assuming they allow for a bigger motor & lift rear of pontoon up?