Pontoon Boat house Project

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Jeeper82

Pontoon Boat house Project

#1 Post by Jeeper82 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:11 pm

So I asked a question awhile ago and got great feedback and I want to take it a step forward. So I am about to purchase a used pontoon boat, 24' long and basically going to replace everything to make it 10' to fit in the slip at the marina near where I work. the diameter of the logs are 24" so I figured that allows me to hold up to 7000lbs... does that sound right? I found a shed/small guest house I like that I can stick on there that weighs 3500lbs. It will only be me who lives on it so I figured that this is a possibility.

here is what my goal is...
-have a small bedroom and small living room
-a small rv/boat like bathroom/shower (not needed due to showers and bathrooms at the marina but still desired)

Is that possible? I can get a larger diameter pontoon if needed. Im tired of driving 2 hours to work and 2 hours back. DC is a bear and I met a guy who told me he lives at the Marina and loves it. I also want something that when I am done I can bring back to my parents who live on the water and leave it there.

If this is practical I would like to pursue this.

PlaynDoc

Re: Pontoon Boat house Project

#2 Post by PlaynDoc » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:13 pm

if you'll have access to shore power, why not just get an enclosure for the pontoon? i've heard they are around 1700-2000.... and a whole lot lighter than a wooden structure. use the shore power to heat/cool it, and for lighting. remove some seating, for the bathroom/shower add-on
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

Bamby

#3 Post by Bamby » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:53 am

I hate to rain on anyone's parade but I can't see what you're proposing working. First take a gander at this weight capacity chart here: http://www.u-fabboats.com/brochure/weightcap.pdf It lists a pair of 25' pontoons capacity at 4,564 lbs total. You suggested that the weight of the shed as 3,500 lbs. so that would leave about a 1,000 lbs. left to work with. But out of that thousand pounds we still need to deduct the weight of 9 sheets of 3/4" plywood for 10' deck which is around 720 lbs. and we still need to add cross-members or floor joists for the decking at a undetermined weight.

As you can see you are more or less at capacity now without any furniture, clothes, batteries, engine, fuel or yourself. Can it be pulled off, hell yea it can but in this case I'm a thinking you're gonna haft to can the shed.
Last edited by Bamby on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Jeeper82

#4 Post by Jeeper82 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:12 pm

[quote="PlaynDoc"]if you'll have access to shore power, why not just get an enclosure for the pontoon? i've heard they are around 1700-2000.... and a whole lot lighter than a wooden structure. use the shore power to heat/cool it, and for lighting. remove some seating, for the bathroom/shower add-on[/quote] What kind of enclosure is it? Is there a link or picture?

[quote="Bamby"]In hate to rain on anyone's parade but I can't see what you're proposing working. First take a gander at this weight capacity chart here: http://www.u-fabboats.com/brochure/weightcap.pdf It lists a pair of 25' pontoons capacity at 4,564 lbs total. You suggested that the weight of the shed as 3,500 lbs. so that would leave about a 1,000 lbs. left to work with. But out of that thousand pounds we still need to deduct the weight of 9 sheets of 3/4" plywood for 10' deck which is around 720 lbs. and we still need to add cross-members or floor joists for the decking at a undetermined weight add-on[/quote] I guess I saw a ling that told me it was 180lbs per foot and I assumed each log was independent. What if I added a third log or moved up to larger diameter. I see the houseboat you have and that really what I am looking for but just customize mine to my needs.

mpilot

#5 Post by mpilot » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:26 pm

[quote="Jeeper82"][quote="PlaynDoc"]if you'll have access to shore power, why not just get an enclosure for the pontoon? i've heard they are around 1700-2000.... and a whole lot lighter than a wooden structure. use the shore power to heat/cool it, and for lighting. remove some seating, for the bathroom/shower add-on[/quote] What kind of enclosure is it? Is there a link or picture?

[quote="Bamby"]In hate to rain on anyone's parade but I can't see what you're proposing working. First take a gander at this weight capacity chart here: http://www.u-fabboats.com/brochure/weightcap.pdf It lists a pair of 25' pontoons capacity at 4,564 lbs total. You suggested that the weight of the shed as 3,500 lbs. so that would leave about a 1,000 lbs. left to work with. But out of that thousand pounds we still need to deduct the weight of 9 sheets of 3/4" plywood for 10' deck which is around 720 lbs. and we still need to add cross-members or floor joists for the decking at a undetermined weight add-on[/quote] I guess I saw a ling that told me it was 180lbs per foot and I assumed each log was independent. What if I added a third log or moved up to larger diameter. I see the houseboat you have and that really what I am looking for but just customize mine to my needs.[/quote]

I don't see a way of doing what you want to do working with your current setup. I think at minimum you will need a third toon. Also, pontoon houseboat materials are a lot lighter than the building you are wanting to put on there which is why they work so well. I would suggest looking into an aluminum frame with something like nidacore as the walls which would be substantially lighter than you are wanting to buy prefabbed. They make a fiberglass coated version that should hold up for a long time. I believe some of the guys that do the pontoons with the houseboats have another material they use. The nidacore can be used structurally but a little reinforcement can't hurt and aluminum L pieces are fairly light.

Bamby

#6 Post by Bamby » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:03 pm

Maybe a review of how I rebuilt mine would be helpful to you, you can view it here: http://www.pontoonboatforum.com/bamby-p ... c2916.html . Weight is everything when attempting to accomplish a successful build and building your own structure isn't really all that difficult but it does require some time, resources, and materials.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Jeeper82

#7 Post by Jeeper82 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:32 pm

I did not know there was such a thing as special house boat frames but thats what I needed to know! AND THANKS FOR THE REVIEW that will help greatly!