2005 Crest III Classic Restoration

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Mr_D

2005 Crest III Classic Restoration

#1 Post by Mr_D » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:46 am

Hi from North Alabama.

Having owned several boats over the years I guess it was just natural I end up in a Pontoon. Being a DIY kind of guy I'm always on the look out (or sucker) for a new project of some sort. Well I have one and it's a 2005 Crest III Classic 25' with 2005 Evinrude E-TEC 90hp and a nice bunk trailer.

Back story on the pontoon is I came across it 1 1/2 years ago on the back lot of a storage unit I was in and said to myself I would buy that if the price was right. It was in VERY sad condition for interior but otherwise good bones and not beat. I could tell from just looking at it that a good cleaning would go a long ways to making it look much better. Anyway fast forward to now and as I was getting out of storage (hard to do once your in) I made a comment to the front desk lady about the pontoon and she said the owner had been trying to sell it. She got him on the phone and we talked about the poor condition of the interior and he informed me that the motor was seized. I told him well that is a game changer for sure and asked him how it this happened. The story he told didn't make any sense to me (just stopped running last time out) but I told him I would have another look and call him back. I pulled the cowling and the engine looked factory fresh, I put a socket on the flywheel and turned the engine over and could feel compression. Called the owner back and told him I would take a chance give him $1,500 As-Is Where -Is. He accepted my offer.

That was about 3 weeks ago. After trouble shooting this engine I discovered the lower unit was seized and that is why the engine stopped running. I removed the lower unit did a compression and leak down teat than put fresh gas in the tank and engine fired right up and ran awesome. Engine has 369 hr on it since new. The couple I bought this from are the original owners and from all appearances just used this pontoon and never took care of it and never had it serviced.

I have sent the lower unit out for overhaul and will do a 300 Hr service this weekend. As for the interior I'm going Redneck for the remainder of the summer 1( pressure washer, 2) vinyl tape, 3) beach towels. I did order a new bimini top canvas and have a couple thing to tighten up on the trailer (jack and winch replacement). All in I should be on the water in a couple weeks with about $4,000 in this pontoon. Plans going forward are still a question but I'm leaning towards have the existing interior re-done vice aftermarket since the seat tubs and hardware are in great condition.

I will post up some more pictures as I get it cleaned and ready for the water. BTW this owner also gave me the original factory boat cover that he chose to not use for whatever reason. Pontoon also came with water toys (wake board and tube), life vests, ski vests, anchor, bumpers, mooring ropes ETC.

Dennis
Attachments
Engine.JPG
Engine.JPG (186.05 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
Interior.JPG
Interior.JPG (115.85 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
Side View.JPG
Side View.JPG (246.55 KiB) Viewed 2223 times

gerard143

Re: 2005 Crest III Classic Restoration

#2 Post by gerard143 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:23 pm

looks like a hell of a score to me man!

Good find! Keep us updated if you remodel!!

TWB

#3 Post by TWB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:48 am

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on a great find! A good cleaning will go a long way. I love my 24’ because of the comfortable way it slides through the water - being on the Intercoastal Waterway, it can be choppy at the drop of a hat.

Good luck with the clean up and post pics!

-Paul
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

Aquaelvis

#4 Post by Aquaelvis » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:38 am

Thats a steal! Good for you.
At the price you are into it you can afford to spend some cash on the interior and still be in it for much less than it’s worth!