Modifying a 2007 G3 Suncatcher Cruise 20

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

TheWhisker

Modifying a 2007 G3 Suncatcher Cruise 20

#1 Post by TheWhisker » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:37 pm

Hello. A little over a year ago I got a too-good-to-pass-up deal on the 20' toon in the title. (Original owners bought it as a retirement present for themselves. Always stored indoors and maintained at the marina they purchased it from. They passed and the kids wanted nothing to do with the thing so I got it for what I felt was a really good price.) Anyway, it had 132.5 hours on it when I got it, and we've only added about 12 more so far this past year. It's in great shape actually. If I wanted it to remain a cruiser I would not be doing this.

I was looking for a fishing oriented model but this deal and boat were just too nice. As expected, it is not a very convenient boat to fish from. The layout is similar to this (I don't have good full framed pics at the moment so this is a stock image):

The big difference between the pic and mine is that there's a little more open deck past the front fence and no seat covering the gate. The sundeck is all the way fully to the rear. There's a lot of deck but the seating and sun deck absorb all the good fishing points.

Anyway, the entire deck of the toon is going to be replaced and fitted as a fishing vessel. This is a rough layout of what I intend to do. I would like to get thoughts and opinions, tips and tricks because I've never actually done this before and I'm sure there is a lot of great experience here at the forum.

That's the PontoonStuff website's designer. The four stacked armrests in the rear are a placeholder for a fiberglass livewell/storage console that the gas tank will be under. Looking forward to hearing thoughts on what I may be doing badly and/or missing. Thanks!
2007 Suncatcher 208C, Yamaha F90 fully rebuilt as a fishing vessel
1996 Ford E-350 conversion van, 460 w/4.10 Dana rear (the tow vehicle)

bansil

Re: Modifying a 2007 G3 Suncatcher Cruise 20

#2 Post by bansil » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:47 pm

Ours is an expedition type build with min. Floor crap, we can our tent up on the front.

Main issue i see is all the extra wt on the back at the engine. Also fighting a fish and walking behind the stacked tanks and the engine that = cut line, lost fish and gear
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

TheWhisker

#3 Post by TheWhisker » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:17 am

Thanks for the reply. The rear holds the gas tank, motor, and two batteries presently. I will move the batteries up towards the front under the seat in the new configuration (currently the trolling motor batteries are under the forward seats already).

Good point about the fishing from the rear, but I should have pointed out that we mainly hold over crappie beds and fish for panfish like crappie so extended fights with river monsters would be accidental and uncommon. So we're not concerned with losing fish in the propeller.

TheWhisker

#4 Post by TheWhisker » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:00 am

I do have a question about the removed bits and bobs... what do people do with them? I assume most of the rebuilds are done because the deck stuff is worn out, but in my case everything is in good shape. The layout just isn't suitable for us. We're replacing literally everything not just the seating. The console, steering wheel, even the rear seat live well, sun deck, fencing, etc. I hate to just throw it away, and there's definitely no room or desire to keep it stored somewhere.

Liquid Asset

#5 Post by Liquid Asset » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:07 pm

If you have a complete nice set of furniture you can sell it! You might be surprised how much you can get for it. Definitely has plenty of value don't throw it out. Timing is everything , in the spring it will be worth more to someone who's got the boating itch!
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

Mrtoler

#6 Post by Mrtoler » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:25 pm

Definitely sell all your parts. I've been buying, selling, flipping and parting out toons for years now. It's like gold!
Ryan, Martha, Ana and Nathan Toler.
(SOLD)1992 24' monark sun spa 240 1996 (rebuilt) Johnson 112
2014 South Bay chassis (IN THE WORKS)
2006 dodge ram quad cab
Crosby Texas

TheWhisker

#7 Post by TheWhisker » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:53 am

Never occurred to me for some reason. Something like Craigslist best, or are there better avenues? And thanks for the advice.
Last edited by TheWhisker on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liquid Asset

#8 Post by Liquid Asset » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:57 pm

Yes Craigslist is a great place to sell the stuff, or Facebook market place as well. Not sure your location but if come spring when everyone is thing about boats that's the best time.

My last boat was a ground up rebuild and everything I took off of it was sold on Craigslist to help fund the project. I actually sold the old motor for more than I paid for the whole boat. This spring after 9 seasons of enjoyment I sold it on the Facebook market place. I don't do Facebook but my wife listed it and it was gone the next morning!

Figure out what all you have to sell and try and sell it as a complete set. You'll be surprised how much you can get for it. A nice used set of factory seating is nicer than most replacement options.
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

TheWhisker

#9 Post by TheWhisker » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:11 am

I have another consideration I'd like your thoughts on...

I currently have a Lowrance Elite-9 ti. Obviously I use it for fish finding but it also ties in to my Motorguide xi5 trolling motor and does a great job navigating and anchoring. Those two fellows speak together on an NMEA 2000 network I added when we got the boat.

A few months ago I added the Yamaha NM2K engine interface cable. Primarily I did that because I wanted to verify boat hours, but it also allows me to see everything I can see on the analog gauges (except fuel level, of course). I see RPM, speed, trim, voltage, etc which is pretty much all the gauges I have now.

So, my plan for the rebuild is to use the Lowrance as the 'instrument cluster' because it displays all the parameters in a simple, configurable dashboard layout. I will not be installing any analog gauges except for fuel level, and will use the Lowrance instead. Aside from the possible loss of readings due to potential unit failure, are there any compelling reasons to abandon the idea and continue to use analog gauges?

*Edit, I see there is an NMEA 2K interface cable from Lowrance for the fuel sending unit too actually. So that would be part of the virtual dash as well I guess (with an analog gauge for backup. Fuel level is one thing I don't want to lose if the Lowrance dies on me).

TWB

#10 Post by TWB » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:14 pm

TheWhisker wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:00 am

I do have a question about the removed bits and bobs... what do people do with them? I assume most of the rebuilds are done because the deck stuff is worn out, but in my case everything is in good shape. The layout just isn't suitable for us. We're replacing literally everything not just the seating. The console, steering wheel, even the rear seat live well, sun deck, fencing, etc. I hate to just throw it away, and there's definitely no room or desire to keep it stored somewhere.
I am about to pull the trigger and rebuild mine. Can you give me more info on your seats? Good shape or Perfect/ Brand new shape? What pieces you have - size and color scheme. I might even be interested in your fencing, if it is also great. Again - sizes? Pieces? etc. Maybe even some pics of your stuff?

If it were to be right, I am certainly willing to buy these from you (I'm gonna likely buy them from PS anyway), and perhaps we could look at splitting the shipping? We might just save me a buck or 2 - and save you some headache. :donno Or maybe not. We'll see. I generally wouldn't consider anything but NEW in this situation, but, hey, we only live once.

-Paul

EDIT EDIT EDIT -- Right off the bat I finally catch yours is a 20' boat. Fencing is too much too short. I have a 2' "porch." Wouldn't want to consider 4'. So forget fencing, please.
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

TheWhisker

#11 Post by TheWhisker » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:40 pm

TWB wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:14 pm
TheWhisker wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:00 am

I am about to pull the trigger and rebuild mine. Can you give me more info on your seats? Good shape or Perfect/ Brand new shape? What pieces you have - size and color scheme. I might even be interested in your fencing, if it is also great. Again - sizes? Pieces? etc. Maybe even some pics of your stuff?

If it were to be right, I am certainly willing to buy these from you (I'm gonna likely buy them from PS anyway), and perhaps we could look at splitting the shipping? We might just save me a buck or 2 - and save you some headache. :donno Or maybe not. We'll see. I generally wouldn't consider anything but NEW in this situation, but, hey, we only live once.

-Paul

EDIT EDIT EDIT -- Right off the bat I finally catch yours is a 20' boat. Fencing is too much too short. I have a 2' "porch." Wouldn't want to consider 4'. So forget fencing, please.
I really want to sell it all, as I'm sure remaining pieces will sit and take up what little storage room I have before I get aggravated and throw them out. So it's all-in currently. Also don't want to consider the pain of shipping everything.

Condition is excellent. Can't say like new because it's 12 years old. But no stains, wear, holes, tears, gading that I can tell, etc. Too dirty for close-up pics but will load them as I clean everything. White with tan and brown theme. Will post a pic tomorrow of how it looked before disassembly.

TWB

#12 Post by TWB » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:12 am

TheWhisker wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:40 pm

I really want to sell it all, as I'm sure remaining pieces will sit and take up what little storage room I have before I get aggravated and throw them out. So it's all-in currently. Also don't want to consider the pain of shipping everything.

Condition is excellent. Can't say like new because it's 12 years old. But no stains, wear, holes, tears, gading that I can tell, etc. Too dirty for close-up pics but will load them as I clean everything. White with tan and brown theme. Will post a pic tomorrow of how it looked before disassembly.
I get what you mean... if it sits around taking up space, it becomes a true PITA. Our scheme is white with blue and soft gray. My wife likes that and wants to stay with those colors, so I was talking out of my ass from the beginning... of course. :roll: Thanks for the info. Hope it all goes well. Will be interested to see the pics and progress.

-Paul
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

TheWhisker

#13 Post by TheWhisker » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:19 am

No problem. Looking forward to the pictures of your progress as well.

TheWhisker

#14 Post by TheWhisker » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:11 pm

Just posting a few "before" pictures to chronicle the build progress. It's currently a bare deck, on it's way to a skeleton.

The boat was certainly not "in need" of any work whatsoever; this again is a conversion to the fishing boat we want. Nothing on the deck will be re-used. So that's what I will eventually sell, including the bimini that's been in my garage for a year now since it was wholly in the way while retracted. It's about 18' of fencing to the back of the boat around the fuel tank (under the sundeck). Goes around the rear and then offset on the aft starboard side by a foot or so to accommodate the ladder. Front gate, port middle gate, and gate by the ladder (none of which making it to the new setup). Live well under the rear seat as well as all the speakers and lights currently installed in the seat bases will be sold with the seats too. Console with the stereo and gauges/switches and steering wheel (OEM cheap-o) and the fuel tank which does not fit into the new design also being replaced. Nothing wrong with any of it aside from a few small dents in a fence panel, some age-related wear on the G3 decals on the panels, and a quarter size hole in the bimini, all of which were like that when we bought the boaty.

chunkersabre

#15 Post by chunkersabre » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:13 am

Morning, I know it's apparently too late at this point but looking at your actual previous floorpan, the back half of yours is exactly like the back of mine, a 2008 LX20 Fish & Cruise. I say too late because I would have removed the front furniture and fencing and had an open front deck. Course that wouldn't have had a usable rear fishing area but a great front one. I don't fish much from mine and currently selling it awaiting the arrival of the new Barletta E24QC. One thing I don't like about mine for fishing is the fence in front. I occasionally would use a throw or cast net and the fence gets in the way of a clean throw. The Barletta has a bigger front and rear decking.

While you have the deck stripped, are you planning to replace the carpet with a solid vinyl or "seagrass" type flooring? I would, much easier to clean up fish spills etc. Good luck and keep us posted.
Barletta E24QC

G3 LX 20 F/C SOLD