Parts Pontoon restoration question

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Dennis J. Aitken

Parts Pontoon restoration question

#1 Post by Dennis J. Aitken » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:04 am

Honda BF40AY-LRTA One of the parts (found on the floor) was a S3C-01 diode that has 2 wires.
One is gray and is in a female connector with a pigtail that leads to a male connector & the same for the black wire.
Anyone have an idea where it goes BEFORE I start running power?

Also I have these gauges tilt, oil, voltage, temp (for cyl head), RPM (tach), GPS (for MPH) & fuel gauge.
The manual shows nothing that I would understand except Red/White is for the gauge lights & black is ground.

bansil

Re: Parts Pontoon restoration question

#2 Post by bansil » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:03 pm

Google for that engone manual and instructions for each gage buy part number , is my only guess...good luck
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

Dennis J. Aitken

#3 Post by Dennis J. Aitken » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:14 pm

I have the electrical prints for the BF40AY-LRTA outboard but it is really hard to read what color wire is for sending to the gauge and where do you tap into it.
I know that all the lights on the gauges work off of the red/white wire and the black is grnd
The gauges I have are:
Tilt
Oil pressure
RPM
Voltage (I got that one! It's easy)
GPS MPH (This one is easy as it goes to the unit that is getting satellite signals. power and grnd)
Temp (cyl head) (New gauge has new sensor that gets bolted onto the head and sensor wire goes to gauge)
Gas (Another easy one that has a hot side to the gauge & grnd to the sender. Other side of sender goes to battery grnd)

So...
Where do I look for the tilt sending wires. Shouldn't there be two; one for up and one for down? OR does it act like the fuel gauge?
Do I need am oil pressure sending unit or should it be on the engine already (Not here. in storage)
RPM ? totally lost on this one

gerard143

#4 Post by gerard143 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 pm

so this might help. Google the part numbers for the senders for each. Like the tilt sender. The oil pressure sender etc. With any luck you can find images of the actual senders and can see what color wires they have. A lot of times these wire colors might carry over up the main harness and help you get an idea what is what.

You might also find some useful info actually googling for the harness that runs to remote control (throttle and shift control). Those wiring diagrams can help figure out what goes to what too, it might actually tell you right on that diagram. I know way more about evinrude and not much about honda, but if they do things the same this might helpful.

Oh also....if the sender are already all here and installed then a multimeter can help out as well. You are either going to be looking for voltage changes or changes in the ohm's readings. Two people can help here. For example you can probe wires with the meter while someone runs the trim up and down on the motor and look for changes on the meter. On evinrudes the trim sender is generally an add on, I have to add one to mine.

An oil pressure sensor is probably there already but can't guarantee that.

Checking for RPM on a meter you generally want to check for a change in frequency actually. So Hertz (Hz). A lot of meters don't have a HZ setting so need one that does have it. Just google checking rpm with a multimeter for how to's on that. You can also get an RPM test light for $10 bucks online or at lowes and clip it on wires until you get flashes then you found them.

Most of the other gauge senders are variable resistors.... so generally its going to be a change in Ohms you are looking for on the multimeter. Don't forget youtube can also help beyond a google search and actually give you nice step by steps on this. Just type in things like how to check rpm with multimeter.

Hope this helps lead ya in the right direction and gets some of it figured out for ya!

I subscribed to get email alerts on posts to this thread so if you get stumped maybe i can help out further. Best of luck!