Best way to finish marine plywood deck

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bee

Best way to finish marine plywood deck

#1 Post by bee » Sat May 16, 2020 12:16 pm

I replaced the old deck on my pontoon with all new marine plywood -- it's now raw plywood. I'd like to paint it rather than add carpet or vinyl. I had planned on using Rustoleum Top Side with some anti-slip sand added, but now am reading some opinions that this might not be the best choice for wood. Also, do I need to seal the edges before adding skirting?

Thanks for any help.
bedecked300.jpg
bedecked300.jpg (78.18 KiB) Viewed 4892 times

Kytoon

Re: Best way to finish marine plywood deck

#2 Post by Kytoon » Sat May 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Is it treated marine grade plywood?
1994 Godfrey Sweetwater 20' Fishin Cruise.
Deckmate Furniture (Burgandy/Ivory), 20 oz textured carpet, CCA Treated Plywood,
Toon for comfort & relaxing, Jetski's for speed= day of fun on lakes of KY.

bansil

#3 Post by bansil » Sun May 17, 2020 4:20 am

Kytoon wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:06 pm
Is it treated marine grade plywood?
Same question, it doesn't look like marine plywood
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

bee

#4 Post by bee » Sun May 17, 2020 5:04 am

You're kidding. I paid $106 a sheet for this stuff and you're saying it's not treated? Won't last? I thought the very word "marine" meant it WAS treated and meant to be used on boats. Have I been duped?

Bt20bill

#5 Post by Bt20bill » Sun May 17, 2020 6:00 am

bee wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:04 am
You're kidding. I paid $106 a sheet for this stuff and you're saying it's not treated? Won't last? I thought the very word "marine" meant it WAS treated and meant to be used on boats. Have I been duped?
I used treated marine plywood it has a greenish tint to it. There is also a company that makes a paint on coating for pontoon decks I don't remember who it was but I saw it on youtube you could Google it.
bt20bill
95 Landau Bandit 20
Florida

bee

#6 Post by bee » Sun May 17, 2020 6:56 am

I've scoured the Internet and can't come up with a definitive answer. Are there two separate products: 1. Marine plywood and 2. Treated Marine Plywood? Here's the best article I found:

https://www.boat-renovation.com/marine- ... e-basics/

But it doesn't clearly answer the question. Will the stuff I worked so hard to install on my boat last as long as would treated marine plywood? Or should I strip off the product I just bolted to my boat and replace it with TREATED Marine Plywood?

I'm just about ready to jump into that big blue lake in my front yard :( Please help.

Kytoon

#7 Post by Kytoon » Sun May 17, 2020 9:52 am

Yes there are two definitive marine grade plywoods treated and untreated. Those that want to coat theres with an expoy resin specifically buy Marine grade plywood that is not treated as expoy will not bond the treated marine grade plywood.

Marine grade plywood has more to do with type of glue used to bond the wood together as well as the quality of the layers and tolernce of knot holes etc.

Even in the marine grade there are various quality levels A B etc (which means A quality on 1 side and b quality on the other).

With all that said you are where you are with installed wood.

First contact your supplier and find out specifically what type of plywood you have. Or find the printing on the board that identifies it.

If it's untreated, I would go the extra effort get an expoy resin and give it a good saturating coat on both sides and edges. Do this and it will last longer than treated. (if you drill a hole coat that area too.)
Deckmate Furniture (Burgandy/Ivory), 20 oz textured carpet, CCA Treated Plywood,

gerard143

#8 Post by gerard143 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:23 am

The treated stuff generally is shittier quality (as far as the actual finish on it). B face at best and even that rating is marginal.

I used treated. Idk if I would again. The A face marine grade stuff has a beautiful finish. Either should last you quite awhile.

bee

#9 Post by bee » Sun May 17, 2020 12:01 pm

Phew! You've both helped me a lot. I was envisioning tearing it all off and starting over. So THANKS!

Epoxy sounds like my best bet. So now I'll trouble you for recommendations on epoxy. I want paint to be the final coat -- no carpet or flooring. I plan to live with this for a long time, so I want to get this right.

Thanks again.

Kytoon

#10 Post by Kytoon » Sun May 17, 2020 2:52 pm

First verify it's not treated. Don't just go by color. Expoy won't soak into treated (so I've read).

Mine is not green, but it's treated. You actually don't want normal treated plywood as it reacts and corrodes the aluminum.

So where did you buy the plywood online or local?
Attachments
IMG_2586.JPG
IMG_2586.JPG (575.15 KiB) Viewed 4851 times

bansil

#11 Post by bansil » Sun May 17, 2020 3:05 pm

Like has been said the main issue is the glue, I like the idea of open floor plan you are planning...thats what we did
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

gerard143

#12 Post by gerard143 » Sun May 17, 2020 3:34 pm

CCA treated is the proper treatment if one desires pressure treated. And it was not green. Green is the newer treatment that eats metals. This and marine grade use special glues meant for this environment. Pressure treating is actually more for insect prevention and mildew prevention then it is for water rot.

bee

#13 Post by bee » Mon May 18, 2020 5:07 am

I bought the plywood at my local lumber yard. Invoice says AB Marine. Does this help? I can check with them to get more info.

gerard143

#14 Post by gerard143 » Mon May 18, 2020 5:10 am

Yes that’s regular grade A face on one side, B face on the other (which is typical) marine grade plywood. It has more plies then treated wood and due to that is structurally stronger. It has a nicer finished side (A face) with less knots and uses marine glue. It is not pressure treated. It’ll probably last 25 years nonetheless. Always install it with the nicer side up. (A face)
Many manufacturers use inland. Not pressure treated. http://www.inlandplywood.com/products/s ... at-panels/

The glue you use to glue carpet down seals the wood. Waste of time to epoxy and you risk messing up the nice smooth sanded wood finish and risk adhesion issues with glue. Also The underside won’t stay wet so continue on with the remodel and don’t sweat it. Sure CCA might last longer but the downside is a rougher non-sanded topside finish with knots and filled tears that can make noticeable bumps, humps at seams etc when you lay your flooring. Pros and cons.

The best overall I’ve found is at this link. https://www.marine-plywood.us/douglas%20fir.htm

The 3/4” 7 ply tongue and groove AB marine grade.

bee

#15 Post by bee » Mon May 18, 2020 7:54 am

Thanks, gerard143. Lots of good information. I really don't want carpet. It gets real scuzzy real fast. I love the pristine look of paint or clear finish -- easy to clean and doesn't harbor mold and algae. The carpet I took off was disgusting. Is there a paint I can use that will work well and last on this plywood? Or, since the plywood is attractive, I'd love a clear sealer.

BTW, if I'm still driving this boat around in 25 years -- aged 90 -- I will be overjoyed!! :)