Fishtoon build

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Bmac

Re: Fishtoon build

#16 Post by Bmac » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:42 pm

abrasivereshaping wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:26 pm

I've contemplated removing the last 2ft. of strakes on the center toon. I worry the negative angle may trap air and funnel it to the prop. The way my boat rides & feels...the faster it goes the more stern lift I get...then the prop lets go
What size motor you plan on running? Anything less than 200 hp I'd leave them full length. I run a hyd jackplate. So, prop bite isn't an issue unless it's too small in dia. I welcome trapped bubbles down the strakes. Less resistance than water.
A 20" lower unit might require a jackplate to actually drop the motor on plane. Had to on my 150,so I could trim it out. The 250 is a 25" lower unit raised as high as it can go.

Bmac

#17 Post by Bmac » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:06 pm

The nice thing about a lot of strake is the lift it creates. Mine is on plane at 14 mph,with hardly a pull on the motor. Here's another video slowly coming up on the strakes to show how easy it planes. Run it up to 47 with my big 4 blade,then pull back to a 40 mph 1/2 throttle cruize.

abrasivereshaping

#18 Post by abrasivereshaping » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:08 am

That's a great video! I need to do the same and see how my boat is coming up on the strakes. The lift you get is amazing. Going out tomorrow morning with new prop. Hopefully this Turning Point Hustler will have a better bite. I can see this prop has a lot more cupping than the old Michigan Wheel prop.