Adhesive for vinyl to aluminum deck.

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Olustee bus

Adhesive for vinyl to aluminum deck.

#1 Post by Olustee bus » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:41 am

When I go to a forum for advice I try to research the forum for similar questions. I found one for adhesive on aluminum but I did not see any specific recommendation.

I need an adhesive for sheet vinyl to an aluminum deck.

Any suggestions.

Pontoonstuff answered my inquiry but they just suggested 3M - no specific product and I have not found anything.

Steiner

Re: Adhesive for vinyl to aluminum deck.

#2 Post by Steiner » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:50 am

I have no experience with it but this is sold at at various flooring suppliers:
https://pontoon-depot.com/products/mari ... e491&_ss=r

And "how to" article that is just a cut/paste from the MariDeck installation instructions:
https://pontoon-depot.com/blogs/news/11 ... e491&_ss=r

There is at least one place that has "do not use with our woven or teak flooring" at the bottom of the page for the same adhesive, but that may be specific to their flooring as it probably uses a backing that isn't compatible....the instructions say apply to nonwoven polyester backing. I'm sure the flooring manufacturer has recommendations as well.

I know the adhesive type (water or solvent based) is important because my AquaTread flooring is installed on a wood floor, and there is a small piece of aluminum trim that they covered with the same flooring that covers part of the transom...the flooring is peeling right off the aluminum because I'm sure they used the same glue as on the wood.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

Olustee bus

#3 Post by Olustee bus » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:33 am

Thanks for your help. I have looked at that product but it requires application to both sides of the vinyl which would be very difficult. The price of One hundred bucks a gallon would be a little difficult. :lol3 I will pay that if I have to.

I have found this product but for the life of me I cannot find if it can be applied to aluminum or not.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TEC-Stick-N-St ... t/50064107

It is solvent based as best as I can determine.

I don't know why Pontoon stuff can't give me a conclusive suggestion.

If and when I find the right product, I will follow up here.

Steiner

#4 Post by Steiner » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:50 am

Olustee bus wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:33 am
Thanks for your help. I have looked at that product but it requires application to both sides of the vinyl which would be very difficult. The price of One hundred bucks a gallon would be a little difficult. :lol3 I will pay that if I have to.

I have found this product but for the life of me I cannot find if it can be applied to aluminum or not.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TEC-Stick-N-St ... t/50064107

It is solvent based as best as I can determine.

I don't know why Pontoon stuff can't give me a conclusive suggestion.

If and when I find the right product, I will follow up here.

Since that's latex based and 0 VOC I'm going to say it's solvent free. Here is another one that Infinity flooring recommends and says it can be used on aluminum, but note the installation guidelines that require sanding and cleaning with solvent. It's available at several outlets for around $50/gallon.
https://infinitylwv.com/blogs/resources ... cification

Olustee bus

#5 Post by Olustee bus » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:53 am

From what I can tell, that is precisely what I need. Pontoonstuff vinyl has Woven polypropylene backing which is what that is good for. And, it is also used on Aluminum. A little more than half of the price of the Ameritech. I can get it on Amazon prime.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Steiner

#6 Post by Steiner » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:00 am

You bet. Good luck.

rbt.mckeever

#7 Post by rbt.mckeever » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:19 am

Hello, I have ordered Syntec Sensations woven vinal for my aluminum floor pontoon rebuild. I have contacted Pontoonstuff with a question about which adhesive I should use.

To Pontoonstuff, I am going to order the Woven Vinyl Pontoon Flooring to be placed on an aluminum deck pontoon, which adhesive should I order? Reply, You would need a solvent-based glue, which we currently do not carry.

I emailed Syntec this morning this is there reply, Thank You for your inquiry. We recommend you purchase a Pressure Sensitive Acrylic, Water-Base Adhesive. You should be able to purchase this at Lowe’s or Home Depot.

I responded to Syntec,Thank you for your quick reply. I have been reading that a solvent-based glue is required because my deck is aluminum not plywood so you are saying a water-based adhesive will work with the aluminum deck? their reply was, Yes Sir.

So my question is how did the product fron Amazon work for you? I am confused.

Olustee bus

#8 Post by Olustee bus » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:09 pm

I ended up taking pontoonstuff recomendations which was 3M neopreem 10 contact cement. IT was much more espensive than what is available at a big box store. $90 bucks a gallon. I cleaned my deck very well with very little residue left on. It was quiet the job and I am not sure it needed to be at that level but I did.

I then used a paint roller for a smooth finish and used that gallon and still had about half the vinyl to put down. Also, he vinyl was bubbling up. I went to home depot and got a gallon of DAP contact adheasive (at less than half the price of 3m) and finsihed it I also bublled up. I rented a vinyl roller and rolled the deck and it helped a good bit but the next morning it had some bubbles. :devillol Over time, like the next moring, the bubbles were pretty much gone.

My helpers wife came by and saw that and said, your problem is that you used too much adhesive. No kidding! She had workeed with her father putting in flooring.

Now all the bubbles are gone. The adhesive naturally produced gas but at it dissipated, the vinyl laid down and I am pretty sure the adhesive never dried out until all the gas was gone. I have not found any loose vinyl. I recommedn getting small foam rollers and go slow and not slop the adhesive on and only use about a gallon. We will see but I am good so far with the floor.

good luck.

rbt.mckeever

#9 Post by rbt.mckeever » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:19 pm

Thank you,

What is the size of your pontoon? my deck is 20' I want to makesure I have the right a mount of adhesive befor I start.

Olustee bus

#10 Post by Olustee bus » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:16 am

It is a 21 foot tracker fishing barge. You don't have to put it on real thick. Pontoonstuff recommends 1 gallon.