Motor replacement

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Marcus Merriman

Motor replacement

#1 Post by Marcus Merriman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:57 pm

We have a 1991 Harris Floteboat - Sunliner 20' w 40 hp Evinrude motor. Something happened toward the end of the season last year and reverse was lost. Forward still fine. Diagnosis points to lower unit - controls and cables are working but there are metal shavings in the lube oil.
The problem has been finding a replacement lower unit.
My main questions now are :
1 - can a lower unit be rebuilt instead of replaced ?
2 - can we consider a smaller motor, like a 9.9hp? We use the boat on the Erie canal where we are virtually wake free zone wherever we go. Just want to get to the bars and restaurants.

Looking for any advice for this situation.

Thanks in advance,

Marcus

New at This

Re: Motor replacement

#2 Post by New at This » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:51 pm

I would think any outboard repair shop could do it or if your handy, give it a try. Look online for parts and service manuals that are free to give you an idea of what is involved before you start, voice of experience on that....
Have no idea if your controls will mate up to a smaller outboard, most seem to be tiller steer, but worth a look. Some around here have 20 to 25 horse on them. Would a 10 hp push it well enough? 4 stroke is the way to go, Repowered mine with 50hp
4 stroke from a 50 hp 2 stroke, world of difference in fuel consumption and noise for the better. Needed to update controls and wiring though.
I boat on the western end of the Erie Canal and into the Niagara River.

John Pen

#3 Post by John Pen » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:27 pm

Where on the canal are you that there are bars and restaurants?

New at This

#4 Post by New at This » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:00 pm

Seems like both of us are on the western end of the canal from private conversations we have had. Tonawanda/North Tonawanda area where it meets the Niagara River between Buffalo and Niagara Falls. There are several places to eat/drink through there or on the side channel by the kayak rental place.

John Pen

#5 Post by John Pen » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:43 pm

Ok, Ive never been down that end.. will have to check it out..

New at This

#6 Post by New at This » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:59 am

If you see a safety green pontoon with a white hard top that would be me and the crew. Give a wave or stop for a beverage.....

onlybillhere

#7 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:51 am

I had to replace my lower end. I tried to get the original one fixed but it was too far gone; there was a broken bolt by the impeller, couldn't get the prop shaft seal out, all kinds of fun. So i had to order direct from Mercury...
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.