Hiding remote wires

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Dennis J. Aitken

Hiding remote wires

#1 Post by Dennis J. Aitken » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:25 pm

I'm a stickler for neatness and everything being mounted down solidly.
I have a Honda 40 with the Honda remote that was mounted on the rails.
When I got this pontoon it was basically a parts boat and I had to figure what was what all year.
Anyways I can't figure out how to hide the wires & cables coming through the floor to the remote itself.
I do have a boot for the floor (as a start) but I can't wrap the wires because there are several wires with connectors that will hook up to the helm and 3 large connectors that hook the remote to the wires from the back along with the two cables.
I was thinking of running split loom but it would be open at the remote side (unless I tape it up but THAT would look really tacky).
Has anyone made some kind of box that goes from the remote to the floor to hide this mess? Heck, I can even get the vinyl for the outside to match everything else later. Right now I just have to figure out if anyone has come up with something.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to add a picture to this post. It just gives me HTLM code Image

Motor7

Re: Hiding remote wires

#2 Post by Motor7 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:06 am

A box, unless done correctly might look odd. maybe just a woven split wire loom like this? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-573-106
1987 28' Sun Tracker Party Hut pontoon

Marc K

#3 Post by Marc K » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:29 am

Mount the remote on the helm and bring the wiring up from underneath?
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

Marc K

#4 Post by Marc K » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:30 am

Motor7 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:06 am
A box, unless done correctly might look odd. maybe just a woven split wire loom like this? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-573-106
The loom looks like a handy thing to know about - thanks!
Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

Dennis J. Aitken

#5 Post by Dennis J. Aitken » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:26 am

Thanks!
I have 3 connectors coming out of the remote and then 2 sets of wires.
The 3 connectors are from the cable of wires coming from the outboard.
The 2 sets of wires are to come out of the remote then go to the helm.
I would have LOVED to have mounted the remote on the helm but it is not reversible.
It can only be mounted on the fence and there is no room to mount it on the left side of the helm because the speaker is in the way.
As far as using split wire looms I have it and it would look nice for everything coming from the outboard to the helm including the cables.
However, I used flexible metallic liquid tight conduit (I was an electrician before I retired) to keep everything in good condition and from rubbing against things.
I talked to a guy that does upholstery and he has given me some idea and I will post pictures of the build and how it will look.
He gave me a basic idea and I modified it to look nicer and be more efficient.
I appreciate the ideas guys!