Honda BF40A Outboard Remote WIRES

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Dennis J. Aitken

Honda BF40A Outboard Remote WIRES

#1 Post by Dennis J. Aitken » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:39 pm

The remote for the BF40A has these wires coming out that goes to the helm:
Y/Bu, Bl/G, Bl, Bl/Y, Gr However, it also has a Bl/Y with a red band every 1" on the wire.
For the life of me I have not the foggiest idea where the "H" it goes. I have the complete Honda Service Manual with schematics. Mine is Page 19-10.
I notice the "friendly" Customer Service at Honda Marine will tell me they can't tell anyone anything and they MUST go to an authorized dealership.
Grrrr!
Also on their schematic (upper left corner) The trim meter shows Bl/Y, Y/Bu, Bl, then it shows Lg/Bl and there isn't that color coming out of the remote.
Now the (Teleflex Marine) trim gauge I purchased shows that I am already wired up correctly. Y/Bu is the sending wire, Bl is ground, Bl/Y is power when the key is on. I already know that the R/W is power to the light and it has a Bl for grnd.
I would just like to know where heck that Bl/Y with a red band every 1" on the wire goes and why there isn't a Lg/Bl wire coming out of the remote!
I completely made the entire Helm and wired it up. It has been a lot of fun working on this project. It would have been completed if the weather would have cooperated this year. If it wasn't in the 90º range and humid then it was raining. Lately we are in a drought but again the humidity has been yucky. I have heart problems and can't handle it. I really wanted to get this in the water this year but I have several thing to put the vinyl on that will match everything on the boat.
Well... if I am still above ground next year I will have it on the water.
I have speakers on each side. On the right side of the pic I have a cigarette lighter outlet & a USB charger port. In front I also have a USB charger port for me.
There is a BOSS MR1306UA Marine MP3 compatible digital media receiver with USB and SD Card ports. I also have a Uniden VHF Marine Radio with 10' antenna.
The plywood is for extra support and NO you can not have any of my M&Ms! LOL
Yes, that is a train air horn. I am looking for a VW horn - just because!
Just so you people don't think I am floating in money almost everything on this boat has come from GARAGE SALES or FLEA MARKETS. I am on Social (in) Security.
Everything has been tested BEFORE being installed. I have worked in the basement during this heat and when I tested the air horn both neighbors on each side about 200 feet away heard the test. Scared the "S" out of the better half in the kitchen above where I was working! LOL

Thanks in advance for your help!
Attachments
GEDC0008.JPG
GEDC0008.JPG (1.72 MiB) Viewed 4084 times

curtiscapk

Re: Honda BF40A Outboard Remote WIRES

#2 Post by curtiscapk » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:22 am

wow thats awesome work!!!!!!! Black yellow is normally kill switch.
Attachments
ignitionswitchwiring1.jpg
ignitionswitchwiring1.jpg (63.5 KiB) Viewed 4077 times
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS