General question on timeline

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

wiread

Re: General question on timeline

#16 Post by wiread » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:59 am

Marina called and said my boat would be out of storage by the 10th. Going to set it on blocks so I can just back a trailer up and bring it home. So far, just the seat backs are planned. I added a GPS/Depth/Fish Finder to the job since it will be home and out of the water. Still deciding on the flooring if I'm going to tackle or not. Summer is coming, though it was <25F on my way into work this morning, it's still coming :)

wiread

#17 Post by wiread » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:49 pm

Not sure if I should start a new thread or not. it's not a complete restoration, but i'm doing some seat repair and new floor. The boat didn't come out until yesterday so I got it in my driveway last night and started on it today. I can add a new bimini top to the mix too. It could have been replaced anyway, but the frame was fine. That was until I caught a branch turning it around at my house :) New Bimini it is!
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_2649.jpeg
thumbnail_IMG_2649.jpeg (218.54 KiB) Viewed 20519 times
thumbnail_IMG_2646.jpeg
thumbnail_IMG_2646.jpeg (255.13 KiB) Viewed 20519 times

Motor7

#18 Post by Motor7 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:11 am

I did about 7 weeks on mine before we could get it into the water. Down to the pontoons took a lot longer than anticipated, but the result was worth the effort. I worked mostly alone and would guess about 5 hrs a day 5 days a week.
1987 28' Sun Tracker Party Hut pontoon

TWB

#19 Post by TWB » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:51 am

I think you may be on the right track. If you don't want to lose any of your "boatable season", do the floor (deck and flooring) and then enough to be satisfied for the season. Some guys have done the flooring and used lawn chairs or wicker furniture for a while. Doing the deck and flooring will be tough enough!
I agree with Motor7, you'd be looking at 7 - 8 weeks of full rebuild if you worked on it pretty much everyday. Our rebuild took about 7 weeks with my wife and I working a few hours most everyday. Get it to a comfortably useable point and plan to do more as you can conveniently - like at the end of the season. Don't give up precious boating time lost in rebuild.

:2cents

-Paul
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

New at This

#20 Post by New at This » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:00 am

When we rebuilt on boat, we were on a tight budget so we rebuilt our furniture ourselves, made needed modification to the console and shortened rear bench and fence to add bathroom/changing room over the rear toon. The next thing was to build front seats, but after a few years of lawn furniture in front of the console we decided it works the best, gives you a lot of flexibility with arranging it, can put it in front of front fence if you want or leave it stacked up for more space. We still have a table with a 3 person bench with an opening into the changing room and a 2 person bench opposite it. Leaves plenty of room for trash can and can recycling can. We have a 24 footer, with a 50 horse Mercury on it, went to a 10- pitch prop last year and gained 5 mph(17 mph to 22 mph) and motor seems to rev/run better with 5 on board.

wiread

#21 Post by wiread » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:04 pm

made some progress today
thumbnail_IMG_2666.jpeg
thumbnail_IMG_2666.jpeg (251.36 KiB) Viewed 20494 times
and how much of this has to come off?
thumbnail_IMG_2665.jpeg
thumbnail_IMG_2665.jpeg (616.87 KiB) Viewed 20494 times

TWB

#22 Post by TWB » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:20 am

wiread wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:04 pm

made some progress today

and how much of this has to come off?
Looking good! The nice thing is once you get this completed, everything starts going up not down.

Personally, depending on what flooring you're using (I don't remember, and I'm too lazy to read back now!), you might feel little bumps under it. It looks like you could probably sand off anything you can feel with a hand rub. Think Princess and the Pea.

:2cents

-Paul
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

wiread

#23 Post by wiread » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:50 am

I'm using a padded vinyl says it's 1/4 inch thick. I hope it's a comfy floor, it will get my wife out on the boat more often :)

https://www.marinevinylfabric.com/produ ... yQQAvD_BwE

and BTW, the deck is about 39" which is pretty much the same as my municipality issued garbage can as well. The "tip the helm off on its side method" worked great :)

wiread

#24 Post by wiread » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:42 am

Flooring finally was shipped should be here tomorrow afternoon. Of course the weather isn't great for it here. Still a bit chilly and definitely not 65+ overnight. hoping to hit that during the day even. Probably going to wait for a nicer day near 70 and then tarp it and put some heaters underneath it to keep the temp up for the glue to cure for 24hours.

wiread

#25 Post by wiread » Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 am

man, flooring was supposed to be here, then not, then pushed back and then there it was at my door Saturday morning. Of course Saturday would have been a great day to put it on, but plans were already made with Great Grandma and the newest great grand baby. Sunday was supposed to be 60 and rain again for the next 10 days basically. so I pushed it off.

Then I woke up Sunday and it was nice out, checked the weather and it was sun and 70's. Called my dad and said, "want to come over". Ended up being sun and mid 80's. Rain was in the forecast and 50's that evening so we quick put it down and tarp'd it well. I stuck some electric heaters underneath to keep temp up overnight. was 110 under that tarp for about 7 hours until it cooled and rained. The heaters kept it 70-72 under the pontoon all night and kept them on until 7 the next evening so glue had plenty of curing time.

went pretty well.
new floor.jpg
new floor.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 20276 times

ROLAND

#26 Post by ROLAND » Wed May 05, 2021 12:30 am

wow, it's looking GREAT. Love that flooring... You'll have her lake ready in no time. Keep the pics coming.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

wiread

#27 Post by wiread » Wed May 05, 2021 4:26 am

ROLAND wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:30 am
wow, it's looking GREAT. Love that flooring... You'll have her lake ready in no time. Keep the pics coming.
Thanks, it does feel very nice and certainly easier to look at then that old carpet. Have to keep the kids off of it for now though, the want to get up there and dance LOL

One question, the fence was put on thru the floor and then thru the aluminum cross members on the bottom. I didn't pay any attention to length, and ordered a new fence bolt package from pontoonstuff.com. They're only 3.5" and meant to go thru fence and plywood only. I need about 5" to get thru aluminum crossbeams like they originally had it.

Most of my old bolts were good, but some were bent and 3-4 I snapped when removing the nut because it was bent, so the plan was just to replace them all, but I don't want to drill that many new holes in everything. I can't find a package of rail bolts that aren't the 3.5" standard, but i'm sure i can get some stainless 5.5" bolts same size and do it. Or would you just substitute the handful that broke for the 3.5 and drill a new hole and just attach in the plywood? I'm sure it's strong enough, but i'm not sure I want to put any more holes in the decking that werent' already there.

Thanks

Motor7

#28 Post by Motor7 » Wed May 05, 2021 3:53 pm

wiread wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:26 am

One question, the fence was put on thru the floor and then thru the aluminum cross members on the bottom. I didn't pay any attention to length, and ordered a new fence bolt package from pontoonstuff.com. They're only 3.5" and meant to go thru fence and plywood only. I need about 5" to get thru aluminum crossbeams like they originally had it.
Thanks
Check Lowes, they have an extensive SS hardware section. Get the 5", they may be bolt head not screw head....no big. I replaced all my fence bolts with those from Lowes. Using a big SS fender washer and going thru just plywood is probably ok though. Re-use as many as possible as those SS bolts are $$$$.
1987 28' Sun Tracker Party Hut pontoon