General question on timeline

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

wiread

General question on timeline

#1 Post by wiread » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:56 am

I just have a general question on how long all this takes, i know it can vary, but just coming up with some ideas to see if I want to tackle this project or not. I'm fairly handy, was building homes during summers since basically 14 now mid 40's. and can tackle easy to easy medium small engine, vehicle projects armed with ideas, youtube videos and some time :) so I feel fairly confident I can pull this off without a huge learning curve. Removing hardware and laying down flooring, smooth, level etc I can handle.

anyway. For those of you that have removed all the rails, seats, helm etc and put down new flooring, what kind of time frame were you looking at? Right now i'm just planning on taking off seats to get the backs redone. If I can just remove the backs, then that's all i'm doing. I did the cushions myself with a silicone fabric last winter and they turned out pretty nicely.

But it's in storage at the marina so I'm not sure how it's all going to come apart and won't be able to look at it until they pull them out, probably in 3-4 weeks yet. But if I have to remove the entire seat base, then I figure I may as well remove it all and take the carpet off and put down a nicer woven vinyl as well. The decking feels really solid all the way around and I just looked at the exposed stuff I could see from underneath last summer and it looked to be in great shape. But you never know until you dig into it.

This is a starter boat, have had a couple seasons, don't mind putting in a bit more money to keep it looking nicer and and then upgrading in another season or 2. So, what kind of time frames are we talking about to remove seats, railings, controls?

Carpet removal, fill holes, smooth etc? The floor looks like it goes down easy enough and have done all manner of flooring from sheet vinyl to 24x24 ceramic tiles, wood and carpet. That I know I can pick a day and have it done.

and then general time frame to put controls, seats, rails etc back on?

weekends will be the biggest time I can invest, but will have 1-3 hours on weeknights I can do. Is this a couple weekends type project? or an over the winter type project? I don't mind missing April for being out and doing some fishing and cool cruises, but once May hits, I don't want my pontoon in my yard :)

TWB

Re: General question on timeline

#2 Post by TWB » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:30 am

Hey, wiread. Get a beer - this is lengthy. :bier :bier

From my personal experience (rebuilt mine last spring), the single largest factor in the amount of time it takes is solely the amount of time you can commit. There are some varying factors that will create fluctuations, but here are a few thoughts:

• The rails and seats are generally pretty straightforward and not difficult. Reusing them will create need to be careful, but it shouldn't take longer than a couple of hours once you get going.
• The console will be involved with labeling wire, pulling steering cable (I hate steering cable), and care not to damage. Once you're ready to go, my guess would be about an hour (minimum) on it alone.
• Now the hard part -- The carpet will likely be a booger to remove. Carpet glue is tough, especially if you are planning to reuse the same decking. It's gotta be totally clean and smooth, then any gouges, etc. filled and sanded smooth. You know all that since you've done flooring. I replaced the decking, so the best I can tell you is it took a chunk of a day to pull the carpet, pull all the screws that cooperated, fight the ones that didn't, cuss, continue. If your decking is still good, my feeling is that you only need to try to avoid digging any great trenches in it that you will have to fill and sand.

The put-back-together phase will be governed by any problems you find that need to be fixed or corrected. But it's not terribly lengthy. For example: I recommend you plan a minimum of 24 hrs for your flooring. It is not hard to install (with YouTube time and thinking through). It only took us a few hours once ready -- final sweep, glue, flooring, roll out. We came back and trimmed and stapled after an hour, and then didn't touch it until it cured for about 24 hrs (next day). As you take it apart and diagnose any concerns, you should be able to get a sense of how long it will take to put back.

This dissertation is to say you should be able to press along fairly well judging by the amount of reuse you are planning. We rebuilt our 24' from the rails up -- everything including running new wire, new fence aluminum -- in about 8 weeks; a couple of hours a day, all day weekends. This included shipping during Covid, and a couple of changes midstream.

Many of the guys here are far smarter than I, so watch for their input. :bowdown

Good luck! Post tons of pics during the rebuild.

-Paul
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

wiread

#3 Post by wiread » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:22 am

I appreciate the dissertation :)

I'm leaning towards just doing seats and leaving the flooring. I contemplated just replacing the decking, once I see what carpet removal leaves me. I think it might be a horse a piece in time trying to clean the glue off and getting clean and smooth or dealing with screws that have likely corroded since 2006 and then putting down new stuff to start with a clean slate.

I do think much of the carpet has broke free from the glue. When I purchased it, it looked like it was just sitting in the marina slip untouched for 2 years. Lots of mildew/mold. Elderly couple who's health didn't allow them to use and kids who never came to maintain or use it themselves. It cleaned up rather well though. Pressure washing it had the carpet lifting right up, so I don't think removing the carpet will be difficult, but getting the remaining glue off might be. If it's all hardened etc, the scraping and then some sanding could be "easy" or a real PITA if it's not LOL.

I'm not envisioning it being stuck down really well where I have carpet that won't release from plywood without wood removal too, but I won't know until it's time either and I'm either committed or not.

Beyond that, everything is in pretty good shape and works well. Really the seatbacks are all i want to do, but figured if it's not weeks more work to remove the rest of the stuff on the deck to do the floor I might try it. It's a 25' with basically just benches around the rails. My fear is i start disconnecting things in the helm and instead of just plugging back together I end up with a months worth of trouble shooting to get things to work again LOL

Thank you again for your experiences doing this.

sunedog

#4 Post by sunedog » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:45 pm

Took me 5 weekends to do my 2001 Bennington several years ago. Took about a day just to get it off the trailer onto blocks. I needed to do that to access some of the fasteners from below. The biggest time waster for me was rusted fasteners. It took quite a while to get some of the nearly inaccessible ones off.

And you don't have to completely remove your console to replace the flooring. Cut the tie wraps to give yourself some slack, unbolt the console and lay it on its side next to the boat on something roughly the same height as the boat deck. My county issued heavy duty rolling trash can (herby curby) was the perfect height.

Here is a post I did from my project. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15791

wiread

#5 Post by wiread » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:12 pm

Nice work on NOT having to disconnect everything. I'll definitely be checking that out. I wish it wasn't stored at the marina right now so I could get at it.

TWB

#6 Post by TWB » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:31 am

sunedog wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:45 pm

And you don't have to completely remove your console to replace the flooring. Cut the tie wraps to give yourself some slack, unbolt the console and lay it on its side next to the boat on something roughly the same height as the boat deck. My county issued heavy duty rolling trash can (herby curby) was the perfect height.
I saw once where someone else had done that. That sounds like it worked great. Certainly a big help when not replacing everything.

Side note sunedog: How you WV guys liking Neal Brown?

-Paul
Paul & Michele
2003 Mercury 75hp

sunedog

#7 Post by sunedog » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:00 am

TWB wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:31 am
sunedog wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:45 pm

Side note sunedog: How you WV guys liking Neal Brown?

-Paul
Neal seems to be a great, classy, stand-up guy and we like him. His offense is a little vanilla for my taste, but I will give him time to get his staff in order and his recruits onboard. My concern is recruiting. I'm not sure how the kids will relate to him.

wiread

#8 Post by wiread » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:14 am

which leads me to another question, how difficult is getting the fuel tank off? It's about a 25-30 gallon tank that sits on the decking under the "sundeck" at the back of the boat. I know I'll be draining a full tank of fuel :) Then I assume it's just some bolts and hose connections. Just wondering if there are any pitfalls to be aware of? Thank you

TWB

#9 Post by TWB » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:18 am

sunedog wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:00 am

Neal seems to be a great, classy, stand-up guy and we like him. His offense is a little vanilla for my taste, but I will give him time to get his staff in order and his recruits onboard. My concern is recruiting. I'm not sure how the kids will relate to him.
I'm a Troy boy. We loved Neal for the same reasons. Very personable. For Troy's level, he was great. A lot like Saban, he developed the total person, not just football grunts. Really turned the program around.

Lots of great stories about his character. My fav was right after he took the job at Troy, he was riding around campus in a golf cart, dropping in offices to meet faculty and staff folks. He sees a guy walking across campus and stops to speak.
Neal: Hey, man. Are you one of my football players?
Guy: Yeah, coach.
Neal: Pull your damn pants up! -- *Drives off* :lol3 :lol3

I hope he works out well for you guys. We sure hated losing him.

-Paul
Paul & Michele
2003 Mercury 75hp

TWB

#10 Post by TWB » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:23 am

wiread wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:14 am

which leads me to another question, how difficult is getting the fuel tank off? It's about a 25-30 gallon tank that sits on the decking under the "sundeck" at the back of the boat. I know I'll be draining a full tank of fuel :) Then I assume it's just some bolts and hose connections. Just wondering if there are any pitfalls to be aware of? Thank you
Once it's empty, it should be no problem. As you say, a couple of hold-down bolts. I would encourage you to look at the hoses while they're off. Much easier to replace old, dry hoses (and fuel gauge wires) now than once it's all back together.

Any pics yet? :donno
Paul & Michele
2003 Mercury 75hp

wiread

#11 Post by wiread » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:31 am

No, it's all in storage at the Marina yet. I'm trying to gauge timelines, pitfalls, things to look for so i'm as ready as I can be for when i can go get it and bring it home. Last year that was April 25th they were put in the water. I'm hoping by the 15th maybe this year, but we'll see. I could see if I have any of the boat cushions I did last year. First time, nothing special. Just pulled, stretched and stapled :)

wiread

#12 Post by wiread » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:21 am

Found a few from last winter when I re-did my bench cushions. They had put some canvas over the seats that were in bad shape. None of it was in good shape really. Even that was after I power washed it all and got all the black and green off the canvas. We bought it in the fall so used it for a couple weeks before storing it for winter. Took the seats off then and worked on them over the winter.

I used the old benches as a template and cut new ones with a router from some marine plywood and tossed the old. one was shot, the rest were fine but Tnuts were obviously not stainless and rusted out. removing them chewed up parts of he seat so i just cut all new.

I cleaned the foam, soaked in vinager baking soda etc and re-used. the old seats had more sewing and things in which I did not want to attempt. I used some 1 inch marine foam over the old stuff to "even" out the seats before putting fabric over it. I ended up using a 100% silicone fabric called Sileather. Fantastic stuff IMO that I found just searching around one on the internet one day. sounded decent and I already knew what vinyl was like so I thought what the heck, let's try it. The color does get hot sitting in the sun of course, but once you start moving it's pretty tolerable and feels nice and soft. can use regular cleaners on it but we just use what we used for vinyl anyway.

I have a few other pics, but it's all about the same. I'll get more when I attempt the rest, hopefully sooner rather than later.
IMG_1347.jpg
IMG_1347.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 17427 times
IMG_1346.jpg
IMG_1346.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 17427 times
60479711064__D84D6E96-9FCB-4AFF-A1E8-31FDB0B565CD.JPG
60479711064__D84D6E96-9FCB-4AFF-A1E8-31FDB0B565CD.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 17427 times
60529446564__1AA3A35D-D777-4B89-B75F-479D3DF428A0.JPG
60529446564__1AA3A35D-D777-4B89-B75F-479D3DF428A0.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 17427 times
60953447437__547B8204-0B0A-403A-B8FE-5BC54A5F3AA4.JPG
60953447437__547B8204-0B0A-403A-B8FE-5BC54A5F3AA4.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 17427 times
IMG_1519.jpg
IMG_1519.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 17427 times

TWB

#13 Post by TWB » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:14 am

wiread wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:21 am

60953447437__547B8204-0B0A-403A-B8FE-5BC54A5F3AA4.JPGIMG_1519.jpg
The seat cushions look great! Nice fabric work.

Don't know what you may have tried on your seat backs, BUT we used a product called Marine 31. The results were amazing. If you're interested, the thread is here: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25263

There are some "Be carefuls" that go with this stuff, but it ate all of the black mildew and mold right off. (IF you check it out, I encourage you to read post #1 and #9. That's the pertinent info.)

:2cents

-Paul
Paul & Michele
2003 Mercury 75hp

wiread

#14 Post by wiread » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:22 am

WOW, I wouldn't have believed the change if I didn't see it on those seats. not sure what we did LOL. They were really bad when we bought it. Magic Eraser I know and some marine vinyl specific cleaner, but I forget which one off hand. The seats further up front have more cracking in them so I was looking at this silicone and paint fix and then just making the seats gray and white.

This is the method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq2k9HwjSpY

It's not a permanent fix, but enough to get the starter boat thru a few more years.

TWB

#15 Post by TWB » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:24 am

wiread wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:22 am

It's not a permanent fix, but enough to get the starter boat thru a few more years.
Sounds like a good plan. I did the same thing. Got mine cleaned enough to be happy for 2 years and then rebuilt from the rails up. Gave me time to get comfortable, some experience, and plan what I wanted in the rebuild.
Paul & Michele
2003 Mercury 75hp