Slip Roller

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

willy13

Slip Roller

#1 Post by willy13 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:03 am

Anyone use a slip roller before? I think thats what is used to make the curves in the pontoon. I am curious if its an easy machine to use with respect to getting the curve diameter correct without wasting aluminum. I am thinking about building my own pontoon tube, and do not want to waste aluminum. Do you do it by feel, or are there adjustments on the machine that tell you where to put the rollers for a 25" dia curve?

jadeboy

Re: Slip Roller

#2 Post by jadeboy » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:57 am

You Best have some years as a good pension sheet metal guy if you think your not going to be scraping material out.

New at This

#3 Post by New at This » Sat May 21, 2022 5:42 am

I assume you are talking about a hand cranked one or the access to a power one, but either way seems like it will be a lot of work to roll enough material to make a pair of pontoons and then weld and put in some gussets and attachment points.
Wouldn't it be easier to just buy new/used ones?

willy13

#4 Post by willy13 » Sun May 22, 2022 9:30 am

At this point this project is just an idea. But it would require tall oval pontoons. So used is not an option. From my research, it looks like a manual roller will repeat the diameter of the curve but the trick will be finding the desired diameter first. So once I get the rolls positioned for the diameter I want, it would be pretty easy. Still considering the price of aluminum, the safest option it looks like would be to hire out to someone with a CNC slip roller.