Increasing front weight

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Joseph Elliott

Increasing front weight

#1 Post by Joseph Elliott » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:50 pm

Hi folks. I’d like to start by thanking everyone on this forum for all their help over the last 7 years it has taken to build my boat. It’s still not quite finished but I was at least able to take her out on the water earlier this week for some testing.

It seems I now have an issue with the front not weighing enough. She has 60hp 1980 Evindrude pushing 27” pontoons on 16 feet. My nose is way to high in the air I think. With me at the drivers seat she went 8mph and when I walked up to the front she was pushing 12 mph. I weigh 350 so I’m a big boy and it looks like she could use even more that that in weight at the front. Short of stuffing lead bricks between the crossmembers at the front is there a good way to balance her out?

I should mention she doesn’t have much on her. Engine, battery, fuel at the back. 2 seats and my driver console about 1/3 of the way up and then empty deck except for the rails for the full front half.
Alberta, Canada
Home made 16' pontoon, 1980 60HP Johnson- work in progress

curtiscapk

Re: Increasing front weight

#2 Post by curtiscapk » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:46 pm

WITH NOTHING UP FRONT ITS GONNA BEE HARD TO COUNTERBALANCE EVEYTHING IN REAR... (damn caps lock!) deck box with stuff in it... maybe move the battery up front.. not a lot more to offer sorry.
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

Joseph Elliott

#3 Post by Joseph Elliott » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:58 am

Thank you for the reply, sorry I didn’t respond earlier. I will try re arranging the things I can this spring (boat is currently under a couple feet of snow). Would it be reasonable to assume that a 60 hp motor(even a 1980 model) should be able to give me much better speed than the 8mph I was getting this fall? Motor runs well, has good compression, has correct spark jump and a rebuilt carb. I plan to check for spun hub once it’s warm enough to do so. Anything else I could check while waiting for boating season (mid May in my area).
Alberta, Canada
Home made 16' pontoon, 1980 60HP Johnson- work in progress

Marc K

#4 Post by Marc K » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:34 am

I have the opposite problem - mine is too front heavy for any real speed. My old 25' boat has two 23" tubes, and is full of seating for 16 people. The nosecones continuously plow! If I cram 6-8 people all in the stern seats, the bow lifts up and I gain 8 MPH.
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115