Underside of floor paint question

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

kenmclaughlin

Underside of floor paint question

#1 Post by kenmclaughlin » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:53 am

Yesterday, I was installing a new depth finder and as I was running the transducer line I was underneath my pontoon and began to think if there is a benefit to painting the exposed wood on the bottom of the floor? I have a 2006 Harris Classic 240. I did a brief search through this site as well as online, and most of the results are for painting the aluminum frame, not the wood. I am thinking it it would be worth it to help prolong the wood if I painted it? Would it preserve it or would it cause it to end up holding more moisture? I'm sure I'm not the first one to think this so any help is welcome!

I'm in western PA, so the 60 degree sunny day yesterday definitely meant time to work on the boat! Thanks everyone.

sunedog

Re: Underside of floor paint question

#2 Post by sunedog » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:53 am

I've owned 5 pontoons over 33 years and have been a frequent reader / contributor to multiple boating forums. I've never heard of anyone painting the underside wood. If it was a good idea, it would be known. High end manufacturers would also do it. (it would be super simple to paint the plywood before it was installed.). I speculate people don't do it because it seals in moisture. Bare wood dries out when the boat is not being used.

Marc K

#3 Post by Marc K » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:25 pm

I have no direct knowledge about this, but my experience with wood and building things makes me feel like Sundog is likely correct.

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

kenmclaughlin

#4 Post by kenmclaughlin » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:57 am

Sunedog, I appreciate you sharing your experience. It was a question that I was wondering and am glad to hear that it isn't something that is done, because I don't want to add any more work, LOL. Thanks again.