Recommendation for a big dog toon ladder or ramp

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

HHbassman

Recommendation for a big dog toon ladder or ramp

#1 Post by HHbassman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:12 pm

85 lb Mutt loves swimming in the lake as much as we do. When we are at the dock he can stand on the bottom and make his way ungracefully up the ladder. However, when we are in deep water it's a challenge to get him up the ladder. We have a life vest on him because as soon as people jump in, that's all he wants to do. He knows to paddle back the the rear ladder, but it is such a struggle for him to get up, and he scratches the heck out of those of us who try to help him. It's awkward and he can get hurt slipping off the rungs. I see some solutions online but nothing looks like a great option. Anyone got this figured out? I never thought a German Shepherd hound mix would be so into swimming, but this guy loves it. Open to suggestions.
Many thnaks,
-Herb
HHBassman
2010 Bentley Encore 22'
115 HP Honda on Schroon Lake, NY
(Home: Sleepy Hollow, NY)

mgarvie

Re: Recommendation for a big dog toon ladder or ramp

#2 Post by mgarvie » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:20 pm

On Amazon they have the Paws Aboard Doggy Boat Ladder and Ramp. Pricey.

HHbassman

#3 Post by HHbassman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:15 am

Thanks . I checked it out and the reviews are mixed and it blocks the ladder for people. I was sure someone had the issue beat. I was hoping to use the side gate or front platform which both sit pretty high so would require a substantial floating ramp of some sort. I'll keep the fingers googling. Thanks very much for the suggestion!
HHBassman
2010 Bentley Encore 22'

mgarvie

#4 Post by mgarvie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:34 pm

You looking to buy or build something? I made a ten foot ramp I use while camping to get past the mud on the river bank, some shallow stairs could be added and some pool noodles added underneath for flotation.

HHbassman

#5 Post by HHbassman » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks mgarvie. Looking to buy and only need it for middle of the lake in deep water. I have seen some neat floating solutions, but they we leading up to boats with a low prfile. The Toon sits pretty high at the front and side gates, so I think I need a long approach. Your ten foot solution would probably be the right length it it worked in deep H2O.

Thanks again,
-Herb
HHBassman
2010 Bentley Encore 22'

PyroLowe

#6 Post by PyroLowe » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:52 pm

When you find a solution, please post.

We have 3 dogs that are 100 to 120lbs. A flimsy plastic attachment wont work for us and I also cant have something that blocks people from using the rear ladder for access

HHbassman

#7 Post by HHbassman » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:18 am

Will Do. Here are a couple of interesting solutions I am looking at:

1. Unfortunately this is out of stock but looks like my best bet for a big dog: http://www.petclassics.com/Water-Ramps- ... mp.29.html

2. https://www.doggydocks.com/

3. https://justforyourdog.com/how-to-safel ... -for-boats

Trying to find similar items online.
-Herb
HHBassman
2010 Bentley Encore 22'

Steiner

#8 Post by Steiner » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:17 pm

I made my own. Couple of five foot long 1x4's or 1x6's and some 2x2's with a box of 2" screws. Think of a gang plank with a "T" bar at the top.

Put the boards side by side.
Screw through them into a 2x2 piece across the top edge that has been cut wide enough to span several inches through the ladder hand holds on each side.
On the other side run several 2x2 pieces across both and screw through the boards into them to create rungs.
You can then hang this apparatus from the hand holds so it covers the ladder, both dogs and people can climb up it OK if not too steep.
Might have to wrap a bungee around it to keep it from floating up, and cut a couple pieces of large pool noodle to slide over the arms at the top to protect from scratches.
If it is too steep, you can tie a rope from one of the hand holds to the bottom of the fold down ladder so it only swings down a foot or so under the water and the plank can rest on it.
Also doubles as a ramp on the front of the boat.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

taylorjm

#9 Post by taylorjm » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:44 pm

I just came across this on the facebook marketplace today, not sure if it would help or not.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (657.45 KiB) Viewed 2858 times