Can I ask for some advice?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

brianD
Location: Live in STL, Boat wherever there's enough water to not mess up a prop.

Can I ask for some advice?

#1 Post by brianD » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:30 am

First of all, hello everyone! First time poster, long time lurker...

I joined because I need some advice. My trusty fiberglass runabout has a rotted transom, and so the decision was made to upgrade the boat to a triple log pontoon. Problem is, THERE ARE SO MANY!!! I'm looking at probably 26', with at least 250HP. I will likely cruise aroun 25-30 MPH, but will get the most HP I can afford, well, because I can. :biggrin2 I boat primarily on the Mississippi river, but will take it often to Tablerock, Bull Shoals, and Lake of the Ozarks, So It will need to take a beating. In the crew that I boat with, this will likely become the "anchor" boat in the cove.

I'm looking for durability over all. We have a "boat strategy" and this is just the next step. This will be our last trailerable boat, and we plan to keep it for many years. From what I understand, when it comes to 'toons, there are z brackets, M brackets, tube sizes and configuration, Foam filled, or pressureized, floor skinning, ETC. What should I really look for and what is just marketing hype? :donno I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest with my first post, and ask about specific manufacturers and which is better, but are there are often those that should be avoided when made during specific model years. Any thoughts on that?

I thank you for any advice - good and bad - that you can give me. This is my first pontoon, and I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

B.D.
b

======================
2006 Landau Excalibur 2700
225 Suzuki 4 stroke
2011 Bear tandem trailer
2011 3/4 ton Suburban

Ron Burgundy

Re: Can I ask for some advice?

#2 Post by Ron Burgundy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:25 am

My 2 cents is to go for the underskinning. Especially if you're gonna be in rough water. It's on my list of future upgrades.

-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

STEVEBRENDA

#3 Post by STEVEBRENDA » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:32 am

Take a couple of days an test drive a couple at the dealers at Lake Ozarks. We did this and made a mini vacation out of it. That is a good place to look for a boat as there are so many. After Labor Day is a great time to buy, not only can you get a better deal, but the deaers have a little more time for you.
2014 Regency 254
Mercury 250L Verado

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

jafo9

#4 Post by jafo9 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:49 am

lots of good info on this site. with high HP motors, you definitely want to find a boat with a true performance package. some manufacturers will slap on a 3rd log and some lifting strakes and call it a day. others like manitou, bennington, premier and maybe others have an asymmetrical setup which gives the already planed hull better handling characteristics.

another often overlooked item in a performance pontoon is the gas tank. the top brands will usually increase the size of the tank as the HP rating increases.

if you are going to be the "anchor", i'd also look for a dual battery setup or plan on installing your own. i don't know about the other brands, but Premier's setup is subpar as it comes from the factory.
2003 Premier Grand Majestic 250 PTX Honda 225 OB (PTX baby!)
2002 MasterCraft X30
2007 Yamaha FX HO Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki SXR800
2004 Yamaha SuperJet
1989 Kawasaki 650sx
Lewis Smith Lake, Alabama

Kcsteve

#5 Post by Kcsteve » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:01 am

Welcome to the forum. I went through the same process this past winter. I narrowed my criteria down to the following

3 logs
underskinning
lifting strakes on the inside
quality construction
good reputation
good warranty
deck bolted to the cross members not screwed
dealer

After going to the boat shows and crawling in and under the boats I bought a Bennington. So far I'm very happy with my purchase.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
2011 Bennington FSi 2275 W/ESP 150 hp Yamaha
2008 Crossroads Seville 5th Wheel
Truman Lake MO

Ray Jr.

#6 Post by Ray Jr. » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:13 am

If going with a triple log I also recommend the Premier PTX (We love ours) or the Bennington ESP or the Manitou SHP package, they are all good choices, and should serve you well.
Freedom Lovin' gun crazy Redneck
2010 Premier Sunsation LTD 225 PTX
2010 150 HP Mercury Optimax
got rid of POS 2010 Yacht club dual axle triple log trailer
now have a 2012 Shoreland'r dual axle triple log trailer, MUCH NICER

Bamaman

#7 Post by Bamaman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:39 am

You have a number of great brands to choose from that offer tritoons, high performance hulls (strakes) and big motors. You cannot go wrong with Bennington, Harris, Premier, Manitou, Tahoe. There are also other brands that are perfectly acceptable.

Observations:
1. Take your time looking, and be an informed buyer. Because you're buying a top of the line boat/motor, every dealer's going to attempt to make a huge profit deal from.
2. The boating world is in turmoil, and only the fittest will survive. Boat business sucks, and it's a buyer's market--no matter what the dealer implies.
3. If you're trying to get the lowest price, don't get hung up on one brand. Any of the above are absolutely fantastic, and performance is about even.
4. Look for the most dominant pontoon boat dealer in your region--one willing to compete for your business with price.
5. Wait until Jan./Feb. and go to boat shows in more than one large city. Pit dealer against dealer.
6. Study the retail boat market on Boattrader.com, Ebaymotors.com, Craigslist.com, IBoats.com and any other internet site.
7. Barnes and Noble and Books A Million have great specialized boating magazines with great want ads--sources of information.
8. Don't hesitate to drive a little if you can save a lot

Happy hunting!
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

brianD
Location: Live in STL, Boat wherever there's enough water to not mess up a prop.

#8 Post by brianD » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:24 am

Ron Burgundy: forgive my ignorance, but is skinning to keep water from hitting the cross members and slowing down, or for keeping water off the bottom of the floor? Does it lend itself to wet wood, since air can't get to both sides of the floor?

Jafo9: Great idea about the dual battery setup. Hadn't thought of that at all!!

Baman: Good advice. We're planning on research this fall, and then hitting boat shows. I drove 500 miles (round trip) to buy my new truck to save $$. Not afraid to go out of my way for the right boat at the right deal. You mentioned Tahoe. Are they related to the Tahoe boats from Tracker??
b

======================
225 Suzuki 4 stroke
2011 Bear tandem trailer
2011 3/4 ton Suburban

scfishnman

#9 Post by scfishnman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:49 am

Other solid brands (both manufactured by Godfrey Marine) are Aqua Patio and Sanpan. These two brands are the same boat as far as construction goes, but the Sanpan is a bit more upscale.

Compared to Bennington and Premier, the Godfrey boats are just as well built. IMHO Sanpan, Aqua Patio, and Bennington were the best made in terms of construction, materials, and workmanship. Premier and Manitou came in next. Others may see it differently. With any of these brands you are getting a good boat.
-- Aqua Patio 240DC triple toon 225 Yamaha 4-stroke
-- 17' Polar Kraft w/ 75 hp Evinrude Etec
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX HO

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#10 Post by badmoonrising » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:13 am

There are no brands to avoid these days, they are all well built. It all comes down to customer service, dealer reputation, etc. Always check out your selling dealer in detail.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

playcat

#11 Post by playcat » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:35 am

If you want the extreme, built to go fast pontoon (seems oxymoronic, does it not?), you MUST look at Playcraft. Ignore their crappy website, except for ideas. Check out some projects they did like the Scorpion King, a 28 footer with a Merc Black Scorpion 370 hp I/O in EACH pontoon! They have built a toon or two that have been clocked at LOTO at over 100 mph. best place to see Playcraft toons is on Youtube, just search for playcraft.
Worth looking into. All of their seats are made in house, so if you can dream it, they can build it. All it takes is all the $$$$$ you have!
Last edited by playcat on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA

killerkernrich

#12 Post by killerkernrich » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:36 am

brianD wrote:Ron Burgundy: forgive my ignorance, but is skinning to keep water from hitting the cross members and slowing down, or for keeping water off the bottom of the floor? Does it lend itself to wet wood, since air can't get to both sides of the floor?
Jafo9: Great idea about the dual battery setup. Hadn't thought of that at all!!

Baman: Good advice. We're planning on research this fall, and then hitting boat shows. I drove 500 miles (round trip) to buy my new truck to save $$. Not afraid to go out of my way for the right boat at the right deal. You mentioned Tahoe. Are they related to the Tahoe boats from Tracker??
<>

I to would like to know all of the advantages of skinning???? THANKS....rich
Premier 221 Explorer 60hp merc

Proud Father of a Drill Sergeant at 193rd Basic Training Infantry Brigade, Ft Jackson, SC

PLP Member
Why don't anti-gun people have stickers on their windows that say This is a gun free home
NRA member
UFC fan

hyper

#13 Post by hyper » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:53 am

Ron Burgundy wrote:My 2 cents is to go for the underskinning. Especially if you're gonna be in rough water. It's on my list of future upgrades.

Man why are your rear rollors guides so far from the inside of the pontoon? mine where like this and made the boat not load correctly sometimes. I moved them out and now I can load it is 20 sec and be gone!!! Just sayin
2003 Sunchaser 824 by Smokercraft
2003 50HP Elpto 2 stroke
Pulled by a Cummins Turbo Diesel.

JohnO

#14 Post by JohnO » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Ray Jr. wrote:If going with a triple log I also recommend the Premier PTX (We love ours) or the Bennington ESP or the Manitou SHP package, they are all good choices, and should serve you well.

Playcraft is normally the fastest. Manitou handles the best (but sacrifices slightly on speed) I think the Bennies are normally trated as the plushest. I'm unfamiliar with the Premiers but I always here good things about them. These are the first tier in quality (although the second tier is so close most people couldn't tell anyway)

Whichever brand you get, get the performance package and the biggest motor you can get.

Even if you are going to just do slow cruising those extra horses will come in real handy when you need to move in a hurry (storm coming in?)

My boat will do dounts with about a 50-75 foot diameter. Not bad for a 24 foot boat. I can jump my own wake. I am slightly underpowered (I think. My mother-in-law thinks I'm a speed demon) though. I should have got the 200 HP that the boat is rated for.

I do get a lot of compliments as to how the boat moves over the water. I glide over other boats' wakes without slowing down. Most folk down here end up amazed that a pontoon can (a) move that fast and (b) handle that well.

Most boats built today are pretty good. Test drive, test drive, test drive and find one that handles the way you want it to at the price you want. (But do drive a manitou, you'll like it)

Also, don't be too afraid to travel a distance to get the boat. When I bought mine I emialed a request for quotes to every dealer within 500 miles and ended up going 200 miles from home to buy it. But I saved about $7,000 over the local dealer (he wasn't at all interested in trying to match it or even negotiating the price). Pontoons don't normally have a lot of problems other than the motors and you can find an authorized service center for almost every brand of motor somewhere close by.
2006 24' Manitou Osprey Pro SHP F2
175 Yamaha VMax
2016 Ford F150

brianD

#15 Post by brianD » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:44 pm

I completely get the max HP even if you don't use it, 'cause there will be that ONE TIME when you needed it. Besides, in my book, if you have a 275HP motor and do most of your cruising under 30MPH there's a whole lot less wear and tear on the motor and that equals longer life.

I don't think that top speed is as much a factor as ability to handle rough water, overall ride and handling. I plan to do some skiing and tubing and will need to flip back to pick up downed riders and don't want to leave them sitting too long in a river.

Playcraft has foam filled tubes. Not sure if I like that or not. Should the toon have an issue, wouldn't that make it hard to weld a patch? Is that the right way to fix a toon? Thoughts?

I REALLY appreciate all the information. Sometimes it's hard to digest all the nuances, but at least the Manufacturers I'm looking at are on everyone's list :) Tells me I'm heading down the right path!!!
b

======================
225 Suzuki 4 stroke
2011 Bear tandem trailer
2011 3/4 ton Suburban