Irene

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

BartMan

Irene

#1 Post by BartMan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:03 am

Sure, I finally get my boat and now they are predicting Irene to be a major hurricane and Florida is the main target as of now.

Not sure what I need to do with my vessel/trailer? Is it heavy enough that I don't need to ground stake and tie down? Should I take off the snap cover? Double bimini?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Bart
2012 Bentley 240 SE Cruise
115 HP Merc 4-stroke EFI
DeBary, FL - St. Johns River & Lake Monroe
USAF '79 - '88

Ron Burgundy

Re: Irene

#2 Post by Ron Burgundy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:17 am

I think it's only supposed to be a Cat 1. Can you park it near your house so that the building blocks it from the wind?
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

fredeboy

#3 Post by fredeboy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:51 am

Well we are in St Martin and when she came through here yesterday we made sure the liquor cabinet was well stocked! Highly recommend this course of action. LOL
Good luck with your boat and stay safe

scfishnman

#4 Post by scfishnman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:14 am

A pontoon boat can be flipped over by the wind. A neighbor's boat was flipped over when moored at his dock when a micro burst from a thunderstorm came through.

The marina I used when I lived near the coast would put the boats on their trailers and park them in a large open field away from trees. Remove mooring cover, lower and lash down bimini top, lash down doors, hinged seat tops etc. (anything loose or that can move), and anchor the boat down.
-- Aqua Patio 240DC triple toon 225 Yamaha 4-stroke
-- 17' Polar Kraft w/ 75 hp Evinrude Etec
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX HO

Boatsnmore

#5 Post by Boatsnmore » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:51 am

Bart.....

If you have a safe place next to your house park it there where the house blocks the wind. Unlike a fiberglass hull which you can partially fill with water, you have a "kite" waiting for a place to fly. If you can find them, you should get mobile home tie down anchors or even shed anchors of adequate size and lash it down ( across the deck..... not the rails ) to those. Remove the canvas ( all of it ) and store inside. A Cat 1 storm shouldn't be much of a problem if it holds it's present predicted course off the coast. A Cat 2 storm is a different story.... if it decides to make an inland turn..... 85-95 mph winds can change everything..... If it tracks as predicted your wind direction should predominantly be from the east - northeast as it approaches, changing to from the north as it passes east of us and from the north west to west as it leaves. Remember..... if you park it under a tree chances are you will be calling your insurance company at some point down the road.....

Good luck.... :prayer
Avalon Pontoon 2010 & 2011 Gold Dealer
Caravelle Power Boats
Blazer Bass & Blazer Bay Dealer
Mercury Outboard Platinum Dealer

margaritaman

#6 Post by margaritaman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:49 am

Living in Florida for almost 40 years, a Cat 1 or Cat 2 hurricane don't bother me anymore. Never had damage all those years even when we had 3 or 4 in a row. I would worry about a Cat 3 or 4. The year we had 3 or four hurricanes the most we had was lost power for eight hours. I just make sure we have gas for the generator, drinking water, food, and propane for the grill. Not having AC and hot at nights is the problem down here with no power.
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

Ron Burgundy

#7 Post by Ron Burgundy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:50 am

Here is the latest. This things keeps intensifying and drifting east.
Attachments
trackmap_storm2.jpg
trackmap_storm2.jpg (125.19 KiB) Viewed 2686 times

GregF

#8 Post by GregF » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:53 am

The best thing to do with your boat on a trainer is to find some good anchor points. and tie it down. The guys here who have new driveways poured get anchors poured in the driveway (16 x 16 inch blocks of concrete below the surface with 1/2" stainless eyes set just below the surface in a depression)
They use a concrete saddle ring with another rebar below it, connected to the eye. (usually another eye in a rod connector)

If you are tying it down in the yard, use trailer anchors, not those little screw in things more suitable to hold a small dog.

Be sure you have a decent rope, 5/8 nylon minimum. Snug it down tight.
Ratchet straps are better.

Pontoon boats will fly.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

GregF

#9 Post by GregF » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:54 am

Damn Ron, it might not even rain here ;)
1974 Harris

Boatsnmore

#10 Post by Boatsnmore » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:01 am

Yeah.... the storms typically track more east this time of year and it might not even rain...... then again, I went through Andrew and saw crap I never dreamed of so I tend to be a little more cautious than the old salts...... :paranoid :paranoid

I just wish the weathermen would be more matter of fact ...... and not over dramatize things...... invariably the track always seems to center on the path of most destruction..... :roll: :roll:
Avalon Pontoon 2010 & 2011 Gold Dealer
Caravelle Power Boats
Blazer Bass & Blazer Bay Dealer
Mercury Outboard Platinum Dealer

shadow-13x

#11 Post by shadow-13x » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:47 am

Boatsnmore wrote: I just wish the weathermen would be more matter of fact ...... and not over dramatize things.....
the drama is there because if you down play the storm, people wont take it serious. then when the storm heads in and bears down on populations it's too late to get the masses out.
this space for rent

GregF

#12 Post by GregF » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:50 am

It is more to just pump up the ratings.

They had a promo here before the noon news "tune in at noon to see if we are all going to die" (or words to that effect) and then the news said it was going the other way. If anything it desensitizes people for the time when there is really going to be a problem.
I usually look at the NOAA web site before I pay much attention to any of these TV weasels.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I have a routine I execute when it really looks like we will be having a storm but, for the most part, we are prepared by the end of July for anything that might happen. (gas/LP tanks full, lots of water, canned food, batteries etc) The biggest thing is to be sure we have all the loose stuff picked up. As Ron White says, "it is not THAT the wind is blowing, it is WHAT the wind is blowing".
Other than that, I put down the shutters, verify that the freezers are packed with bottled water, be sure all of my rechargeable tools are charged, tie out the boat and check the "bug out" kit in case we gotta go.
I also keep a few PFDs in the house ... just in case.
1974 Harris

Ron Burgundy

#13 Post by Ron Burgundy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:50 pm

GregF wrote:Damn Ron, it might not even rain here ;)
I might not, but the boating forecast isnt looking good. Maybe a good time to work on my steering cable.

Thursday
Northeast winds increasing to around 20 knots. Seas building to 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy. Scattered thunderstorms.
Thursday Night
North winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Bay and inland waters rough. Isolated thunderstorms.
Friday
Northwest winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Bay and inland waters rough. Scattered thunderstorms.
Friday Night
West winds around 20 knots with gusts to around 30 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy. Scattered thunderstorms.
Saturday
West winds 15 to 20 knots with gusts to around 30 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. Scattered thunderstorms.

GregF

#14 Post by GregF » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:46 pm

I would fish that smurf tube in while it is still calm and then you will be ready to go when you get the cable. That makes swapping a cable a 20 minute deal,.
1974 Harris

Ron Burgundy

#15 Post by Ron Burgundy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:40 pm

GregF wrote:I would fish that smurf tube in while it is still calm and then you will be ready to go when you get the cable. That makes swapping a cable a 20 minute deal,.
Should I get the 1/2" or 3/4" tube? Does it only come in blue? Do you run it all the way to the steering tube?