where's my camera

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

where's my camera

#1 Post by ROLAND » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:28 am

Man I wish I had my camera with me this past weekend. My son was in town and he wanted to take the toon out so we did... but instead of launching the boat at our usual spot here in Louisiana we decided to pull the toon over into east texas and hit the launch at the state park, but we thought we would stop and have lunch on the way... headed to the restaurant, my son's driving and instead of staying on the main road ( which I suggested ) he followed some signs that put us right in the middle of a single lane dirt road wide enough for 1, and I mean only 1 vehicle... I remember saying to him as the dirt road got more narrow ( and I thought I could hear the deliverance banjo's off in the brush ) I don't see any place to turn around, hope you can back this thing up... I get, "ah pop, don't worry, I can back this boat down a spiral staircase." And there have been times he's backed up the trailer for me in some very very tight spaces and he's always done fine.... aahhh, but not this time. We came up on a little short driveway.. we turned in with the hopes of backing back out and going back the way we came from, but the drive was too short and there was a deep ditch ( about 3 feet deep ) on each side of the drive... so finally I made the decision before we plunked my boat into the ditch... stop the truck, unhook the trailer and push it back ( up hill mind you ) up to the road in 108 degree heat, then bring the truck up, hook up and pull out...Now I have a smaller boat, 20 footer on a single axle trailer ( thank god ) but pushing a boat and trailer of any size up hill on a dug out dirt driveway in 108 degree heat, was not what I had in mind when we left the house...
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

bes2767

Re: where's my camera

#2 Post by bes2767 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:46 am

Assume the women were not with you??? I wouldn't admit to them making a mistake on the road! Jest Kidding!
:biggrin2
2011 Playcraft 2300 w 250hp Verado Pro
Our Live Rivercam: http://www.iowaponds.com/rivercam.htm

BartMan

#3 Post by BartMan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:08 am

Roland, I would of done the same thing instead of risking visiting a ditch. This is my biggest worry since I am new to trailering anything, let alone a big ole pontoon boat. I plan my routes in advance to be sure I don't end up some where that I can't turn around easily or is a small road that traffic couldn't get by my trailer. Makes me worry more since there is no way my wife and I could manually move our dual axle trailer. Plus I can just hear her saying "I thought you knew what you were doing," and "is there someone you can call to come drive this for you?" :lol3
Bart
2012 Bentley 240 SE Cruise
115 HP Merc 4-stroke EFI
DeBary, FL - St. Johns River & Lake Monroe
USAF '79 - '88

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:43 am

Guys: I don't know how you did it--in the blazing East Texas temperatures.

Heck, I can't even move my Waverunner on an aluminum trailer around my concrete driveway. That's what I use the ATV for.

At least it worked out for you.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

scfishnman

#5 Post by scfishnman » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:08 am

Know how you felt. I learned my lesson on narrow dirt roads through experience too.

I got caught on a narrow dirt road at Toledo Bend in Sabine Parish, LA during a period of several days of extremely heavy rain. The road was mush and it was all I could do to keep from sliding off of the crest of the road into a ditch on either side. Traction was so bad that I had to keep moving as fast as I could or I knew I would get stuck. I was alone and had no way to call for help. Finally made it through. The truck and the boat were both coated in thick mud.
-- Aqua Patio 240DC triple toon 225 Yamaha 4-stroke
-- 17' Polar Kraft w/ 75 hp Evinrude Etec
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX HO

hyper

#6 Post by hyper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:39 am

bes2767 wrote:Assume the women were not with you??? I wouldn't admit to them making a mistake on the road! Jest Kidding!
:biggrin2
Nothing to do with this post topic, but Damn I love your boat. Everytime I see it I feel like I dont like mine anylonger....could I be falling in love with you boat? Damn that doesnt sound right either....Never mind!!! Forget what i said!!!! :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana
2003 Sunchaser 824 by Smokercraft
2003 50HP Elpto 2 stroke
Pulled by a Cummins Turbo Diesel.

GregF

#7 Post by GregF » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:22 am

I guess you figured out you never pull head in to a driveway if you want to turn around. Always back the trailer into the tight spot and pull it out the other way. If it is really tight you may have to take a couple bites at getting the tractor around

(old truck driver here)

My wife got me into a full, dead end, parking lot with my trailer on my back. I was afraid I was going to have to take it off to get out but someone pulled out of a parking place (luckily the handicap) so I had room to get turned around.
I did get through the Burger King drive through in Key Largo once. I asked the girl, do you get many boats through here and she said I was the first one that made it.

It was nothing compared to jacking a 40' trailer into a tight dock on Okey street in DC in traffic ;)
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

GXPWeasel

#8 Post by GXPWeasel » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:09 am

I was going to say the same thing Greg

You always want to back the trailer into the tight spot / driveway when trying to get turned back around or get out of a tight spot. The truck/ tractor has much more manuverability, and therefore will be easier to correct. The trailer is more predictable, and once in the tight spot, won't varry much off that path even with drastic movement from the towing vehicle.

I learned how to back on a farm, with 2 wheel trailers, 4 wheel, swivel tongue trailers (they back the opposity way a normal boat trailer would) and even double trailers. This is probably why pulling my 26' boat seems to be very easy, but I know there are times when it can still be a challenge.

Glad to hear you made it out withought hitting the ditch Roland.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26