Prop. vs. top speed question

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Ogre

Prop. vs. top speed question

#1 Post by Ogre » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:54 am

I don't know anything about props, so I wanted to see if you fine folks could give me some advice. You can see my boat and motor in my signature, and I currently have a Solas e3x15.5x17r prop. (non-ss). Right now top out my RPM's at about 5000-5100 with a top speed of approx. 32mph (on the gauge not GPS). It seems to come out of the hole quick, but I would think I would have more top end speed. Is this a function of the prop? Would changing props raise my top end?
Thanks in advance
>> Drinker with a boating problem.. <<
One Part the Fuehrer, One Part the Pope...

2006 Voyager Express Ultra Cruise 25'
200 HP Honda

scfishnman

Re: Prop. vs. top speed question

#2 Post by scfishnman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:05 am

What is the wide open throttle RPM range for your motor per the owner's manual? My Yamaha's top end RPM is specified about 1000 RPM higher than you are getting. Could be wrong, but I would think Honda would be pretty close to Yamaha. The correct prop for your boat/motor combination would be one that would provide that RPM. Once you are in the proper operating RPM range, you may be able to consider a few different props to improve the speed a few MPH. Generally, SS will give a little better performance.

Have you talked to a dealer?
-- Aqua Patio 240DC triple toon 225 Yamaha 4-stroke
-- 17' Polar Kraft w/ 75 hp Evinrude Etec
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX HO

Ogre

#3 Post by Ogre » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:01 am

no, I havent talked to the dealer, and I dont have the manual, as I bought it used.
>> Drinker with a boating problem.. <<
One Part the Fuehrer, One Part the Pope...

2006 Voyager Express Ultra Cruise 25'
200 HP Honda

dockholiday

#4 Post by dockholiday » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:03 am

Does your motor look like this one. http://marine.honda.com/Products/modeldetail/BF200
Not sure why they list max rpm in such a broad range of 5000 to 6000 rpm. Guessing you should be safe in the 5800 rpm range though. I was able to turn 5300 with my 150 on a mirage plus 17p prop. May be a difference in gearing and also the diff in the prop I first tried and your existing prop. Also the diff in weight in the boats since mine is only about 2400lbs. I would suggest getting or borrowing a hand held gps to determine your top speed a little better. My speedo reads 53 at 40mph, there is a chance your speedo may be reading lower than your actual gps or true speed. I am partial to the merc props, especially the enertia. Hub kits are available to adapt to diff motors than merc. I would not want to recommend or suggest a pitch prop with out more info. Best to work with a prop shop or dealer that will work with you, trying diff props, plus the cost factor involved in the search. I would think you could get a good deal more top end with the 200 if 32 is the correct speed. How much more would depend on the weight size of log and number of logs. Not sure if we are talking tri toon or two logger.
doc

Leisure Kraft

#5 Post by Leisure Kraft » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:04 am

Ogre wrote:I don't know anything about props, so I wanted to see if you fine folks could give me some advice. You can see my boat and motor in my signature, and I currently have a Solas e3x15.5x17r prop. (non-ss). Right now top out my RPM's at about 5000-5100 with a top speed of approx. 32mph (on the gauge not GPS). It seems to come out of the hole quick, but I would think I would have more top end speed. Is this a function of the prop? Would changing props raise my top end?
Thanks in advance
The Mercury prop finder thinks that 26.8 MPH is about the most you can get from your engine and boat combination. You might be able to lower that to a smaller pitch and get that RPM up closer to 5750 though.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/prop-selector
Michael Blankenship 931-484-2681
Leisure Kraft Pontunes - 1996 Peavine Road, Crossville, TN 38571
http://www.LeisureKraft.com
Find us on the Pontoon Forum members map: http://www.zeemaps.com/295621/Leisure_Kraft_Pontunes