To lift or not to lift?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

momcat1959

To lift or not to lift?

#1 Post by momcat1959 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:39 am

We just purchased a 2012 Aqua Patio tri-toon. It is a dealer demo they used for shows this summer, so the toons have been bottom painted. The dealer is shrink wrapping and holding it for us (free) until spring). Our NJ shore house is on a lagoon that opens to Barnegat Bay so the boat will be in salt water for the summer. I know that salt water makes a mess of a boat.

So my question to you all is, in my situation would you get a lift?

We have plenty of room, I think we have one of the longest spans of bulkhead in Bayville and a large dock, but lifts are expensive and since the toons are bottom painted I was wonder if it worth the expense to install the lift? We can afford a lift, but like everyone, we have tons of expenses and don't want spend money unnecessarily.

I am a "clean freak" so I'm sure I will be cleaning this thing constantly. But it will be hard to maintain the toons since I'm NOT jumping in the lagoon to clean them. There are too many jelly fish and the water is just NOT appealing in the lagoon (although my son swims in it ans so do some of the neighbors when the jelly fish are not bad).

So what do you all think, to lift or not to lift?

Thanks!
Laura

Ron Burgundy

Re: To lift or not to lift?

#2 Post by Ron Burgundy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:49 am

If you can afford it I think it's one of the best investment's you can make for your boat. I keep mine in salt water with anti-fouling paint, but if I had a new boat like you have I don't think I would. Even with anti-fouling it takes some regular cleaning to keep the growth off the logs, especially in the summer when the water is warm/hot. I usually do my cleaning out at the sandbar in waist deep water. It dosen't take much effort to brush off the growth, but you do have to get in the water to do it.
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

Ron Burgundy

#3 Post by Ron Burgundy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:53 am

Just noticed you're location in NJ. My brother in-law lives in Brick. I'm gonna be up there in a few weeks. Small world.

GregF

#4 Post by GregF » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:02 am

I have done both. The lift is the only way to go if you care about your boat.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

Ron Burgundy

#5 Post by Ron Burgundy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:07 am

GregF wrote:I have done both. The lift is the only way to go if you care about your boat.

Dang...that's harsh. I care about my boat, but just can't afford one. :happy

GregF

#6 Post by GregF » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:30 am

Pay me now or pay me later ;)

If you are willing to do some shopping on Craigslist and some work yourself, there is no reason why a lift is that expensive.
Setting the pilings is really the only hard part.
Last edited by GregF on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

Ron Burgundy

#7 Post by Ron Burgundy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:31 am

Pay me now, or stage an accident and collect the insurance money later. :lol3

...just kidding :nono

skudrunner

#8 Post by skudrunner » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:45 am

We have both our boats on a lift and wouldn't leave them in the water. Our dock is a floating dock and so are our lifts. I have had a pylon style dock and cable lift but prefer a floating dock because it stays level with the water.
I had one lift fail for the Sea Ray and it was three weeks before it was fixed. That convinced me the only way is on a lift or a trailer.
2012 G3 Sun Catcher LX3 22SE
Yamaha VF225
1993 Sea Ray 240 Bowrider
454 MerCruiser
Tenkiller Ferry Lake, Oklahoma

momcat1959

#9 Post by momcat1959 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:10 pm

Just noticed you're location in NJ. My brother in-law lives in Brick. I'm gonna be up there in a few weeks. Small world.
Yup, small world, Brick is pretty close to us :)

Thanks for all the replies so far, it is looking like "to lift" is the winner so far.

Certainly keep all that advise coming. Appreciate it.

Laura

Ron Burgundy

#10 Post by Ron Burgundy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:32 pm

skudrunner wrote:. That convinced me the only way is on a lift or a trailer.

For me it's -

1) lift
2) wet slip
3) trailer
4) graveyard (I mean storage yard)

Whaterver gets you closest to the water, and lets you enjoy your boat as often as you can is the best choice. I could completely replace both my logs 3 times for what they charge to bulid a lift in my neck of the woods.

bassn386

#11 Post by bassn386 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm on fresh water, but I believe a lift is worth every penny. When I first got my bass boat, I kept it on the trailer on the ramp (it's on our property). It was such a hassle getting it in the water on Friday night, especially if we got down late. Leaving it in the water was not even a consideration due to potential damage by the wakes from passing boats. Having the lift was like going to heaven! Walk down on the dock, pull the lever, get on the boat--all of about 3 minute time span (not including removing the mooring cover because I would have to that regardless of where the boat was).
The only thing missing now is a remote control to raise (and lower) the lift when I pull out of the slip. Sound like I'm a little bit lazy? Well, yeah, but that's not the real reason. Lot's of people get hurt when they step out of the boat to get back on the dock, especially when there's lots of wave action (same for getting back in the boat). i have a remote for the lift for my pontoon. The lift is 15 years old and has never needed any maintenance because it is only in the water long enough to get the boat on or off the lift.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

scfishnman

#12 Post by scfishnman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:18 pm

In my opinion the lift is well worth the investment. Before installing mine, I had to deal with the growth collecting on the tubes (even in fresh water). Now the tubes stay clean. BTW, the growth on the tubes reduced the top speed of the boat 6-7 MPH. I probably should get one for my fishing boat also, but I only use it in our cove and mostly just with the trolling motor so it doesn't matter if it has growth on the hull.
-- Aqua Patio 240DC triple toon 225 Yamaha 4-stroke
-- 17' Polar Kraft w/ 75 hp Evinrude Etec
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX HO

jafo9

#13 Post by jafo9 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:54 pm

if you can afford it, definitely go with the lift. we boat on one of the cleanest lakes in america and the growth on the toons was tremendous. i spend hundreds of dollars and countless hours last year trying to clean the toons. i had actually lost several hundred rpms due to the growth. i managed to find a used lift about 4 miles away on the water. i smile every time i return to the dock and see the toons without all that crap on them.

the only downside is that we have a covered slip with a pitched roof. i think we get less air flow with the boat way up on the lift and so the mold on the vinyl seems to appear faster. so far though, i'd rather choose cleaning the vinyl over scrubbing the toons.
2003 Premier Grand Majestic 250 PTX Honda 225 OB (PTX baby!)
2002 MasterCraft X30
2007 Yamaha FX HO Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki SXR800
2004 Yamaha SuperJet
1989 Kawasaki 650sx
Lewis Smith Lake, Alabama

stevek

#14 Post by stevek » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:44 am

I bought a 20,000lb lift for my fishing boat when I brought it from the chesapeake to the ocean and never regretted it. The pontoon boat was in my other slip this summer. The dogs love that boat but getting them on and off can be a pain, depending on the tides. I'm thinking hard about buying another lift for several reasons besides not having to deal with getting two 60 lb dogs off at low tide. First, its my wife's boat and she isn't too good at setting dock lines. I rigged up wieghts and pulleys for thge stern but she still managed to leave one bow line too loose at low tide--tide came up and the bow got hung up under the finger pier. Second, if its on a lift I don't have to bottom paint anymore. Tird, it wil be easier to keep clean. Go for it.

Bamaman

#15 Post by Bamaman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:23 am

A lift is the only way to go.

A pontoon boat is a very long term investment, and they'll last just about forever if you keep them up out of the water, and keep them covered when you're not using them. A snap on cover is expensive but worth every penny. If the motor wears out, you just re-engine them.

My pontoon is 26 years old, and is very serviceable. I keep my pontoon in a boat house 3' out of the water.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150