New Bunks - Big Job

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Drago

New Bunks - Big Job

#1 Post by Drago » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:00 pm

I finally got the bunks replaced on our trailer. Sorry I don't have a shot of the final assembly but I forgot to take the pix before loading the boat back on the trailer. If I can remember, I shoot one tomorrow or Monday since we may go out again.

I did remember to take a couple while working on the project which was more work than I thought it might be.

The total bill came to $375 clams. Stainless hardware alone was $85 and I did not even use 316 stainless (used 305), lumber $37, 120'x3"x1/2" of UHMW $225 including shipping, and waterproof construction adhesive $17 (Loctite PL Premium polyurethane) which I decided was good enough since I placed a pair of screws every 10" countersunk 3/16". The real deal to glue UHMW to treated wood would have been about $170!!

I personally feel good about the project since the original wood was falling apart after only 4 years of intermittent dipping. This stuff is not wrapped in carpet and appears to be completely dry after the very short drive home from the marina where we launch.

I'll at this point provide a big warning to anyone that does this. This UHMW is extremely slippery! I've used it in big telescope bearings for years. The first time I drove the boat up on the trailer and cut the engine, it slid right back into the lake! And our ramp is not very steep. I had to keep the engine running at about 2k rpm to hold it against the stops of the trailer while I went up and hooked up the strap. There is a lot of room for a mishap doing this if something were to go south.

We went back out yesterday to make a concert across the lake and I made sure to get the boat well into the water before unhooking. When we got back very late last night, I was able to very easily drive the boat up unto the trailer. I've always loaded with only a short piece of the bunks in the water and this makes it very easy, even in a stiff crosswind.
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop
Best ever top speed 69.2KPH

Bamaman

Re: New Bunks - Big Job

#2 Post by Bamaman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:41 pm

You certainly did a first class job on the bunks. Just be sure to tie the boat down diagonally from all 4 corners.

Last time I failed to tie down a load properly, it was my new 500 pound gun safe. I lost it as I left the Lowes parking lot. Luckily, a gentleman pulled his truck behind it to keep any other drivers from running over it. They would have got a big surprise. Somehow, we got it back on the trailer--and lashed it down the right way.

I'd hate for my 24' pontoon boat to make the big slide into the highway. There again, I've only trailered it twice in 26 years on borrowed trailers.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

RonKMiller

#3 Post by RonKMiller » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:41 pm

It's good that you got colored UHMW since it contains solids that help protect it from UV degradation. I hope that it is specifically UV stabilized as well since if it isn't those recessed fasteners you installed will cause it to "spider" then crack - and fall apart in short time.

3M Super 90 spray glue - not inexpensive either - is excellent for gluing UHMW to wood. A light coating on both pieces, allowed to tack for 60 seconds, then clamped and allowed to cure in warm weather will stay together for a looooonnnnng time.

If anyone reading this thread uses white, non UV stabilized UHMW don't waste your money - it will last a couple of years max.

I also re-did my bunks last year with wood and polypropylene carpet - while inexpensive I'm not sure it's the best option out there - I'm still searching for the perfect bunk coating and am seriously considering ripping the carpet off and using thin resin fence slats from Home Depot - on top of the 2X4's... :donno

fredeboy

#4 Post by fredeboy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:40 am

Drago
That really looks good. I have the same material sitting in the shop and about to start my project. Is there a reason you did not use treated for the 2 x4? Any other words of wisdom you can share about what not to do would be appreciated!! :biggrin2

bassn386

#5 Post by bassn386 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:15 am

What is UMHW?
I need to replace the carpet on the PWC bunks on a lift. The carpet we used lasted less than two years.
Thanks.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

fredeboy

#6 Post by fredeboy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:36 pm

Bassn
It stands for Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene. It is the family of teflon but much tougher material. It is very slick when wet!! :scared

bassn386

#7 Post by bassn386 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks, fredeboy! The PWC lift is at such an angle the WaveRunner has to be powered up on it and it really takes two people, one to operate the PWC, the other standing by to raise the lift.
I wonder it that stuff would be a good application in this instance, and where can you buy it? I only need about 16 feet of it. Also, the boat rests on the 2" section of the 2x4.
Thanks.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

Drago

#8 Post by Drago » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:12 pm

I'll try to answer some questions here.

First, the UHMW I got from http://www.superslide.com/ is UV stabilized. These folks were a delight to deal with and I highly recommend them. They sometimes run specials on this stuff so keep a lookout. The entire project was about half the cost of using any of the stuff made "especially" for boat trailers but somewhat more labor intense.

One of the adhesives I considered using was from http://www.reltekllc.com/adhesives-for-uhmw.htm
which can be purchased from McMaster-Carr. It is very expensive so I chose to use 305 stainless screws and a locally purchased waterproof construction adhesive.

The lumber is treated to reduce the speed of degradation from getting wet from time to time. And, as I've discovered, sheds water so fast, it is dry by the time I get the boat in the driveway. I recessed the screws about 3/16" and filled the countersunk hole with GE marine caulk/adhesive. I also replaced all the lag bolts with 305 stainless and made sure to put a small dab of adhesive on the threads before driving them into the pre-drilled holes.

And last, I now strap the boat down even for the short ride home. This stuff is so slick that I think if the bow strap suffered some sort of failure on the road, the boat would most likely slide right off the trailer as someone mentioned. My one fear is that this might happen as we slowly pull the rig up the ramp to the post load area to tie it down.

The only thing I've encountered so far was that Joy says they look "unfinished" and should have been painted.
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop

Bamaman

#9 Post by Bamaman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:27 pm

Kenneth: You really did a nice job on the runners. First class workmanship. Looks like you really did your homework.

Bassn386: I was looking at the carpeted runners on my PWC lift today. They're a year old, and show no wear or weathering what-so-ever. The guy at Lowes thought I was crazy when I asked him to cut 2' of their standard indoor-outdoor carpet off a giant roll. 1 5/8" roofing nails holds the carpet on the rails just fine.

I reconditioned a 30 year old Ace boat lift from my old boathouse and it's kind'a overkill on a PWC. I think I have $450 in the whole boathouse addition--1/4 the cost of a little electric PWC lift that fits on the side of a dock.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

fredeboy

#10 Post by fredeboy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:37 am

Drago
Two other questions if I may:

When you mounted the rails on the trailer did you adjust the height down to make the gap between the boards the same width as they were with the carpet bunks or does it matter.

#2 I have noticed the edges on this blue material is really sharp and I am thinking it will be a good idea to at least bevel the edges that contact the toons. Any thoughts

Thanks for all your helpful information.

PS: I like your wifes idea on painting the 2 x 4. I think a colored sealer might be a good option

Drago

#11 Post by Drago » Tue May 01, 2012 4:08 am

Fredeboy,

I made no changes to the height of the bunks. I think it might have only been 1/4" dif anyway. When I stood there looking at the finish project, I thought about those sharp edges also. The way I load the boat and the way it sits on them, I decided that it would be impossible to make that kind of wrong contact. Since you are most likely to build the new ones before taking the boat off the trailer, you might feel it is worth the extra time to round off the sharp edge. I've got an image of the finished project on my phone but from the marina and from my house, I have very poor 3G so I'll email it later.

The boat now loads so easily, my only worry is on a really steep ramp, I'll need someone to hook the strap while I keep the boat against the stop.
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop

Drago

#12 Post by Drago » Sun May 13, 2012 5:19 am

I finally got a working pix of the finished project at the marina yesterday. I had taken a shot with the Droid X but every time I sent it to my home email, it was half grey (probably a corrupted directory on the phone)!!!

BTW, I did add two coats of Spar Urethane to the ends of the 2x4s to protect from water intrusion.

I want to add that I have loaded the boat 3 times in windy conditions since installing the UHMW slides and this is just too good to be true. I only put a foot or so of the back end of the bunks in the water and the boat powers easily up. I do have the fear that on a really, really steep ramp I might have to get the boat on the back end and run the winch strap out to the eye to assist. On our ramp (medium incline) if I kill the motor, the boat simply slides back into the lake. I need to run about 2K rpm to hold it against the stops.
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop

fredeboy

#13 Post by fredeboy » Sun May 13, 2012 7:12 am

Drago
That looks great!! I am really looking forward to getting mine done after seeing your pic.
Did your material seem a little rougher on one side than the other? I have not checked all my pieces yet but the couple I looked at were that way. After reading your review I might put the rougher side up.
Great Job :bowdown

Drago

#14 Post by Drago » Sun May 13, 2012 8:49 am

I made sure to clean the side I applied the construction adhesive to (rougher side). I did the slick side up thing. Ive noticed places where the toons do not contact the plastic and I'm fairly sure that where there is no support under the wood, that the old carpet did not make good contact either.
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop

RonKMiller

#15 Post by RonKMiller » Sun May 13, 2012 9:05 am

That is absolutely awesome... Excellent job! :bowdown

The only thing I dread about my boat is getting the beast back on to the trailer. Right now I've got to submerge the entire freakin' trailer, and use an electric winch to pull it on. It's a 2000 lb. winch and has barely enough juice to pull it forward. It works so hard I've got stop and let it cool off for a minute or two. The last time I loaded took the better part of 15 minutes - what a pain. :roll: I guess that's the price you pay when your barge weighs in at 2 tons! :lol3

One thing I think I'll do a little different is to miter a 1/2" deep by 2" wide groove in the center of the bunks, then use Liquid Nails or similar to glue in 2" wide by 1" tall strips of UHMW instead. I know that UHMW is easy to precision machine cut. I'm also considering rubberized spray undercoating to protect the exposed raw wood prior to installing the strips ... a thin coat should be more than adequate. I'll probably use full width strips of UHMW at the very rear for several feet to allow approaches from an angle.