Florida Keys next summer. Help me prepare.

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

serpa4

Florida Keys next summer. Help me prepare.

#1 Post by serpa4 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Well, booked my beach front campsite for July (hot) at Bahia Honda State Park in the keys. I'll take my toon with me. Man, do I have some questions:
1) If I'm boating for 5-6 days, do I need to take any precautions with salt water? Do I have to flush the Suzuki 150DF daily? I "plan" to pull it out daily. Prop should be fine? Do I wash the galvanized trailer daily? What if I float it at the marina; will I need to do anything different for floating in the ocean for 5-6 days?
2) I don't scuba, so I'll be snorkeling. What are the best places to boat to for looking at a reef or sunken ship, if they are visible from above?
3) Are there any great islands to boat to? I.e like movie stuff, sand, small, a few trees to eat lunch (sex)?
4) What equipment is needed for the keys? Flare, VHF (permanent or handheld) is required? I have no second motor. Boat towing insurance? I have it under my boat insurance policy, but guess I need to ask them about the ocean.
5) I have no real or recent ocean experience. How far out should I travel? I.e. 10 miles it too far? 20 miles? I had a 23" open bow that I went from Santa Barbara to the Channel Islands in. Smooth out, rough coming back. I was a little on edge, but not afraid.
6) Navigation! I have a GPS cell phone, but am sure this will not be enough. I have stand alone GPS on my cell phone also, not tower based. Do I need a navigation fish finder type thing? I will take a map and compass.
7) Are there just random shallow spots or rock I can get stuck on or hit while boating fast?
8) Spare equipment? I have a new motor (2012). Do I need spark plugs, oil, spare prop, etc, basic tools? What about JB weld for a hole in the toon? I'm good with engines, but computer stuff might not make a difference anymore.
9) Do I need spare gas can on board? I have 55 gallon capacity.
10) What do I do about tides? How do they effect me? Will I get stranded somehow? If I get stranded somehow, how long will the tide take to come back in?
11) What to do if I get stuck out at night? Boat back slow, beach for the night and bring a blanket? Do I need to get some MRE and water for an emergency couple days?
12) Who I contact when I go out to make sure someone knows where I'm at if lost at sea? Army mentality...someone always knows where you are. Camp ground, parents, marina? Or is this not really done by anyone?
13) What do I need to know in the mangrove trees and channels? Dangerous or no big deal?
14) I have a small box anchor with a 50' rope, no chain. Is this sufficient?
15) I'd like the hummin bird side imaging fish finder to see what is on the bottom of the ocean as much as fishing. Will I "see" anything cool on the screen, or is the bottom too deep or just flat sand?

I'd appreciate any advice at all. I'm not afraid or paranoid, but want to be prepared. This is going to be fun.
Remember, this is an inexpensive trip, so although I'd like to hit some good stuff (sights, restaurants, entertainment), I have about $700 for entertainment. I plan most of my money for truck gas, camp site, boat fuel, food, with a focus on boating. However, I do want to do things when not floating. I'd like a good dive joint, not fancy dinners. One night for alcoholic drinks with atmosphere, but not fancy, just chilling, etc. I will have my wife and 15yr son with me. We are adventurous, and like to have fun and be social, but we are not party people. Like on our local lake we will tie up and have a beer or two, but not get smashed.

Ron Burgundy

Re: Florida Keys next summer. Help me prepare.

#2 Post by Ron Burgundy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Check out the Navitronics app for your phone.
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:10 pm

I've only been to the Keys on a cruise ship, so I'm of no help to you. There should be some good travel websites on the internet for the keys.

Checkout http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... ys_Florida for what's in the area. The campground is highly rated as a secret hideaway of sorts.

It sounds as if you're going to have a great time. I'm jealous, as we're just trying to get to Chattanooga (by trailer) for a 1 way 200 mile trip home on the Tennessee River.
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

dockholiday

#4 Post by dockholiday » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Hope the weather is better than the time I was there. Walked out of the motel an was soaking wet before I got to the car. Not sure what was going on weather wise but you could cut it with a knife. Had pictured something like the oceans breezes of Daytona or Panama City but there were none. May have been one of those tropical depression they talk about on the weather channel...............Pretty sure it's not that way all the time or no one would live there............

doc

playcat

#5 Post by playcat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:41 am

I used to run up and down the Keys with the Coast Guard many years ago. Here is what I remember from 1996, last time I was there...
July will be HOT with very little wind. If there is more than a light breeze, there is usually a storm to go with it. Often, you can see storms coming a long ways off.
Salt water will not be a problem for 5-6 days. Flush out that engine when you can, preferably as soon as possible after use to prevent salt from drying inside engine. Everything else just hose off. Fresh water is hard to come by in the Keys, so you may have to forego the washdown, but try to flush engine.
Water in the Keys is very clear, so you can navigate by water color - green is 6 feet or so(wach for weeds and obstructions), blue is deep, white is shallow. Snorkel where its white or light green, run the boat in anything but white.
The Gulf Stream current edge is about 4 miles out, closer than that, the current can actually run the opposite direction (to the south). Out past 4 miles, the current runs from 2 to 3 knots to the north. If the wind is out of the north or northeast, the waves will turn high and steep in the stream, so stay close to the beach on days with northerly winds.
You will need a handheld VHF at a minimum, and cell coverage can be good, but spotty in places.
Tides range about 2 feet, but the tides can produce strong currents in narrow cuts between islands. Great for fishing, but be careful you don't get stuck!
Add about 6 feet of chain to your anchor rode to protect it from chafing on the rough sandy or rocky bottoms. Also, it used to be illegal to anchor on living coral, so...

Get yourself a proper nautical chart NOW (order them online) and spend some time reviewing it. Don't rely on just GPS, since that won't tell you where NOT to go, and where the best fishing and snorkeling will be. Besides, think how much fun it will be to plan out your visit beforehand!

I have towing insurance with Boat US; two towings on a busy river would have cost me over $1100, with insurance, nada.
Good luck!
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA

margaritaman

#6 Post by margaritaman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:58 pm

One of the nicest reefs for snorkeling is close to Bahia Honda and is called Looe Key. They have floating ties so you do not drop anchor. Where you will see lots of other boats tied up that is the coral reef. Some coral reefs are very shallow and poke out of the water at low tide so watch your depth finder to avoid a big fine for destroying coral. Bahia Honda does not have too many amenities. The beach is nice right there since the keys really do not have nice beaches and any beach with sand is usually man made. The closest town is Marathon on the other side of the seven mile bridge. There you will find restaurants, etc..

Take a trip to Key West one afternoon to experience the sunset in the pier. The independent jugglers, food vendors, and show men come out for free shows and they pass the hat for donations. Have a drink at some of the famous bars and enjoy watching the crowd. Have a margarita on Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. Just remember that Key West has a large gay population.
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

dockholiday

#7 Post by dockholiday » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:15 pm

Yep pretty much everything margrita said especially the last paragraph. Sort of cool doing the bar scene and imagining the way thing were when Hemingway was there sitting at the bar. Wasn't really meaning to bash the keys, but its the first vacation I cut short by two days, seems like it was early spring when I was there so the weather really threw me for a loop. Even the temp wasn't that high maybe real low 90's. It was definitely a diff kind of heat though. Wishing you a good trip an enjoy.............

doc

serpa4

#8 Post by serpa4 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:09 pm

thanks guys for the tips so far. Half the fun is planning and anticipation. Soo far ways...July.

ToonGuy

#9 Post by ToonGuy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:27 am

Marathon has some of those great "dive joints" as I recall. Stayed there twice, can't remember any names of the places :drink4 but I could still drive back to em. Ask the locals. Find some of the little fish markets, buy some fresh crab claws & shrimp. Ask them where they go for a cheap, good dinner. We found a few places that way. Have fun, I was thinking about going back this winter but my wallet reminded me I probably shouldn't :nono
Just one boat...after another, after another :-)

oldcoot

#10 Post by oldcoot » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Don't forget Sloppy Joe's on Duvall St...I had the best burrito in my life at the lil' side shack attached to the right of it....'course that was 1983.....lol :donno
Jim & Jill
East Peoria, Il.
Illinois River Tooners
2003 Suntracker 24ft Party Barge
90hp Tracker Mercury
2007 Chevy Silverado 5.3 extcab
"the Jillie Marie"

serpa4

#11 Post by serpa4 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:54 pm

oldcoot wrote:Don't forget Sloppy Joe's on Duvall St...I had the best burrito in my life at the lil' side shack attached to the right of it....'course that was 1983.....lol :donno
83?! I was a freshman in HS back then.

playcat

#12 Post by playcat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14 am

serpa4 wrote:
oldcoot wrote:Don't forget Sloppy Joe's on Duvall St...I had the best burrito in my life at the lil' side shack attached to the right of it....'course that was 1983.....lol :donno
83?! I was a freshman in HS back then.
I was stationed in key west with the CG in 1980, just in time or the Mariel Boat Lift :scared :prayer :drink2
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA