Low life bastards stole my trailer!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ezrollin

Re: Low life bastards stole my trailer!

#16 Post by ezrollin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:36 pm

I hate freaking thieves,that's why I keep a load pistol on hand.I plan on putting an id on my trailer in a inconspicuous place,like a letter stamp or tell-tell weld mark so I can tell at a glance if I suspect it's mine.You still have to prove it's your trailer if you locate it before the law will do anything.

BoatCop

#17 Post by BoatCop » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:21 pm

ezrollin wrote:I hate freaking thieves,that's why I keep a load pistol on hand.I plan on putting an id on my trailer in a inconspicuous place,like a letter stamp or tell-tell weld mark so I can tell at a glance if I suspect it's mine.You still have to prove it's your trailer if you locate it before the law will do anything.
Modern trailers have a hidden VIN, other than the VIN plate. For those states that don't require license plates or registration, you need to make sure that you have the VIN written down somewhere, and crawl under the trailer and find the secondary VIN.

If your trailer is older and doesn't have the secondary VIN, get a Dremel or other tool and etch your drivers license number on the frame somewhere. DO NOT use your SSN, for obvious reasons.
Alan
2012 22' Sun Tracker DLX Party Barge w/Merc 90 EFI 4 Stroke
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2009 GMC Sierra
2001 Jeep TJ Wrangler
1999 Southwind 34L MH
2 little Basset Hounds

RobRoy

#18 Post by RobRoy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:54 pm

rsmith wrote:Anyone have some other tips for preventing theft?
Remove the wheels ? Just thinking out loud here....
2006 24' Sun Tracker w/ Full Enclosure, 75 HP Mercury OB

dockholiday

#19 Post by dockholiday » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:25 pm

Anything can and will be stolen about all you can do it make them use a little more effort cause most crooks are basically lazy
Here is the coupler lock I use http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Tow-Ready/63228.html
From there you could remove the wheels then use locking nuts to prevent them from bringing their own wheels.
If the coupler is bolted on have it welded on. So it can not be replaced.

Sort of hate having to take my utility trailer to places like home depot cause it only takes a few minutes if you are not using the latch lock to have it an be gone.

doc

Towdaddy

#20 Post by Towdaddy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Mine wasn't as bad but I recently stored my small utility trailer in the resort storage lot. Did not feel real comfortable leaving it there but it was only for a couple of weeks and it was padlocked.

Went to get it last week as we closed up the fiver and my trailer was there minus the tongue jack.

The bastards probably realized that they could not get the trailer so they stole the dolly jack!

I was mad two times. The first when I realized that it was stolen and the second time when I put the replacement on the trailer.
Jeff

----------------------------------
Peggy Sue
25 x 10' 2009 Premier Escapade
225 Mercury Verado

haganjeff

#21 Post by haganjeff » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Not impressed with Progressive at all at this point. Submitted my claim on 10/24/12 and still have not heard back yet. I emailed the Fire & Theft Investigator asking for a status update. He emailed me back saying he was waiting on me for the trailer vin number.

I had given the vin number to them twice at this point, including 10/24. Hell, it's listed at the begining of this thread as well. I guess I should just tell them to go to http://www.pontoonforums.com!!

I'll keep you updated as this crawls along at a snails pace.
2016 Bentley Elite Admiral 220 - 115HP Suzuki
Strakes, LED Package, Hydraulic Steering

haganjeff

#22 Post by haganjeff » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:10 pm

Just heard from Progressive and I am fuming! First off, I had to sign a consent for bank, credit union and other financial institutions record releases. This includes, telephone and billing communications, credit reports, financial records, including ledgers, cancelled checks, account statements, releases, agreements, repair orders, etc. Who's the crook here? This shit gets me fired up. I know they have to protect themselves, but that is an invasion of my privacy! :x

To make it even better, they offered me $1,370 which they called high NADA retail for the trailer. Bullshit. That is certainly not a pontoon trailer. My marina owner could order me the MFI for $1,799 at wholesale, doesn't include taxes or spare tire and wheel. I am getting shorted over $700. This is not inluding my deductible which I believe is $250, but they haven't addressed yet. So I lose $1,000 on my trailer. What the :censored do i have insurance for??!!

Bamaman

#23 Post by Bamaman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:43 pm

I assume the trailer is tied up on the same loan as you boat?

Progressive doesn't give a hoot about all that stuff the authorization is about. If they were to pay the lienholder directly for the trailer, the authorization authorizes them to obtain a payoff amount.

One thing you might want to cover with Progressive is that Tennessee boat trailers are seldom titled. If you still have the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO), the insurance company might want possession of the form.

Unfortunately, the possessions we own in this life do depreciate, including boat trailers. I don't know what year your trailer was made, but if it is a 2006, it's now approaching 7 years old. While it's worth a lot to you, an insurance company is always going to depreciate a trailer unless you had stated value insurance. You may could have had a zero insurance deductible--but for a much higher premium.

Your best bet would be to take the settlement, buy a new trailer and execute a Substitution of Collateral agreement with your lienholder. Just see what percentage they depreciate your trailer per year, and make sure it's a reasonable amount. And be glad you can buy another for a very fair price.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

MichaelB

#24 Post by MichaelB » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:56 pm

What the :censored do i have insurance for??!!
You see, you don't have insurance. You have Progressive. There's a difference.

1984 Riviera Cruiser 28ft, rebuilt and enhanced with 175hp Evinrude

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#25 Post by badmoonrising » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:37 pm

MichaelB wrote:
What the :censored do i have insurance for??!!
You see, you don't have insurance. You have Progressive. There's a difference.

That's why I have Boat US. Just got my check for $1300 for my marina to replace my starter and gimbal bearing, no questions asked and no invasion of privacy like this BS. Time from survey to me getting a check: 8 days. :thumbsup
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

haganjeff

#26 Post by haganjeff » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:03 pm

Bamaman, no lien on the boat and trailer. Paid cash.

I understand the trailer is a 2006 and it depreciates, but find me another Trailstar trailer like mine in great shape for $1,370. As far as I can tell they don't exist. Heck, I can't seem to find any used trailers locally for that matter. they few I have seen are almost as much as new trailers.

ROLAND

#27 Post by ROLAND » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:22 am

haganjeff wrote:Just heard from Progressive and I am fuming! First off, I had to sign a consent for bank, credit union and other financial institutions record releases. This includes, telephone and billing communications, credit reports, financial records, including ledgers, cancelled checks, account statements, releases, agreements, repair orders, etc. Who's the crook here? This shit gets me fired up. I know they have to protect themselves, but that is an invasion of my privacy! :x

To make it even better, they offered me $1,370 which they called high NADA retail for the trailer. Bullshit. That is certainly not a pontoon trailer. My marina owner could order me the MFI for $1,799 at wholesale, doesn't include taxes or spare tire and wheel. I am getting shorted over $700. This is not inluding my deductible which I believe is $250, but they haven't addressed yet. So I lose $1,000 on my trailer. What the :censored do i have insurance for??!!

Jeff... sorry for all the b.s. your going thru, but I'm glad you posted this. I too have Progressive on my boat and trailer and my annual premium is due Monday... I was just about to go on line and pay it, but think I'll wait and make a phone call to them and check on this depreciation b.s. It was my understanding with my policy there is no depreciation... if my boat is a total loss, then they're supposed to cut me a check for the insured amount... but now, think I'll have a conversation with them before renewing... good luck with you claim..
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Bamaman

#28 Post by Bamaman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:25 am

Jeff:

Thanks for bringing this subject up. It's a thought starter. It shows that boat insurance is a very important matter, and that insurance is not essentially apples and apples.

There is a difference in coverage from company to company, and marine insurance is actually very expensive when you consider that many people don't use their boats but 5 times per year. We boaters deserve and need better coverage than "auto" insurance renamed "marine".

We are also interested in how Progressive treats you when this claim is completed. And don't be surprised if they drag the claim out 30 days waiting for the trailer to be found by the authorities.

I too may look into changing my insurance to U.S. Boat whenever it comes up for renewal.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#29 Post by badmoonrising » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:07 am

Including this supplemental claim, BoatUS has now paid out $23,808.06 to fix my boat and only increased my premium $75. It was their surveyor that told me they are also replacing the starter plus 8 hours labor to do so. Besides, Progressive is owned by a liberal. :x
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

STEVEBRENDA

#30 Post by STEVEBRENDA » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:47 pm

There is a difference in coverage from company to company, and marine insurance is actually very expensive when you consider that many people don't use their boats but 5 times per year. We boaters deserve and need better coverage than "auto" insurance renamed "marine".
Some people only use thir boat 5 times a year, but I do not think marine insurance is as lucrative as you might think. 1) Someone who only takes a boat out 5 times a year is probably a novice at alot of things including driving, buoys, pulling skiers (alot of liability when you cut someone wit ha prop), etc. 2) A boat sits unattended most of its life -- perfect target for thieves. 3) Most boats sit out in the weather. This makes them targets for wind, snow and rain damage.

Yeah, I cringe when I pay my insurance, but I have come to the realization that maybe I have too much crap to insure and just bite the bullet.
2014 Regency 254
Mercury 250L Verado

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.