Low life bastards stole my trailer!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

waterlab

Re: Low life bastards stole my trailer!

#31 Post by waterlab » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:49 pm

Have heard a lot of bad things about Progressive Ins.

Bamaman

#32 Post by Bamaman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:38 pm

Say what you want, but Progressive copied the old GEICO mail order program and spent big advertising budgets on nationwide television. By making most popular insurance segments available online and at independent agencies, they've kicked some butt. Ole Flo paid off.

Now Progressive offers GPS reader that plugs into your ECU under the dash that figures out how many miles you drive, how fast you drive and the time of day you're driving--and possible rebates/savings can be had. It may be good for some, but not for me.

Then, we see 21st Century Insurance advertising heavily for even cheaper premiums. It's a division of Farmer's Insurance Group out of Kansas City--who used to be an absolutely terrible quality insurance Company. I promise you that 21st would be a difficult company to make a settlement with--if their full price sister company is so difficult.

When it comes to insurance, many of the budget carriers will attempt to sell you products you don't really need, and don't push the coverages you really need. For example, we had an intoxicated guy run through a tornado warning siren down our street, and they did over $100K damage. Most people don't have that much coverage on Property Damage.
When it comes to insurance, you get what you pay for. The industry now seems to start with low premiums for new customers, and premiums creep up 15% or more per year--until they're taking advantage of you. Keeping a high FICO score, making few claims and changing companies about every 3-4 years with good companies will greatly lower your premiums. This all comes from increase competition on the internet.

But what really matters is how they handle claims, and how much they pay out. We'd certainly like to hear anytime anyone is not treated right.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

haganjeff

#33 Post by haganjeff » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:53 am

Well, I am happy to say in the end Progressive really worked with me. They have changed their offer from $1,370 to $2,085. Minus the $250 deductible, I will receive payment for $1,835. I am extremely pleased with that number. I can order a custom 20' trailer from MFI or Hustler through my dealer and marina owner for $1,700 - $1,750. It will probably cost $150 for the spare wheel/tire. I will only be out $50 to $100 even with the deductible. :nana

A little concerned that the MFi trailer has 10" wheels vs. the 13" on the stolen Trailstar. Is that something I should be worried about? Again, thanks for all the comments and opinions through this. I will put pictures of my shiny new trailer on here in approximately 2 weeks!
2016 Bentley Elite Admiral 220 - 115HP Suzuki
Strakes, LED Package, Hydraulic Steering

dockholiday

#34 Post by dockholiday » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:25 am

Had my first encounter with Progressive this past month. Their insured ran into the back of my wifes car at a stop light. Overall I would give them a B+. They provided a rental car an did what they could to correct the damage given it was an older car. The repair shop they chose did a fairly good job an they did make a good effort to find replacement parts. Think the adjuster had a vacation during this period which probably slowed the process some. Not much of a defense when you are stopped an someone strikes the rear of your car. Guessing they were happy they didn't have to pay the usual 12 or 14k for injuries many people claim after a chiro visit. Happened to me once an my insurance said we know he's not injured but it is less costly to just pay it. It may be SOP for many but I just can't do it.

doc

Woody

#35 Post by Woody » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:17 pm

haganjeff wrote:....
A little concerned that the MFi trailer has 10" wheels vs. the 13" on the stolen Trailstar. Is that something I should be worried about? ......

My last trailer under the 20'er I had, had the 10" (short,fat) tires. I can't say anything bad about them. I wouldn't be scared to use them again on a toon that size.
2014 Benny (Until I find a replacement for my totaled JC Tritoon)

Usually somewhere on the TN River

haganjeff

#36 Post by haganjeff » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:51 pm

I just ordered the MFI Trailer. It will have 13" wheels and tires after all. Feel hopeful as I talked to MFI and they said they guarantee I will be happier with their trailer over the Trailstar. Kind of cool it will be custom made and be ready in 2 weeks. I could have gotten surge brakes for only $380 more, but didn't want to go too much more out of pocket. I will try to avoid mountains and hills, but my Infiniti FX35 towed the boat so far with relative ease, but then again I have yet to panic stop!
2016 Bentley Elite Admiral 220 - 115HP Suzuki
Strakes, LED Package, Hydraulic Steering

Woody

#37 Post by Woody » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Sounds good. Glad it worked out for you. Hope the prick/pricks that stole your old one get what they deserve !
2014 Benny (Until I find a replacement for my totaled JC Tritoon)

Usually somewhere on the TN River

ROLAND

#38 Post by ROLAND » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:30 am

Jeff... how did you get them to up the anty? glad progressive came thru for you... I just paid my annual premium to progressive yesterday for my boat/ motor / trailer..... so I was happy to hear they didn;t screw you...
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

playcat

#39 Post by playcat » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:50 am

badmoonrising wrote:That's why I have Boat US. Just got my check for $1300 for my marina to replace my starter and gimbal bearing, no questions asked and no invasion of privacy like this BS. Time from survey to me getting a check: 8 days. :thumbsup
I have progressive just on the toon;when the marina reported my toon's engine space filled with water (mechanic left it open during a storm with cover arranged to funnel it all into engine space), Progressive had a rep inspectiong the boat the next day, approved my repairs and followed up. Time from claim to check in hand - 3 days. Boat repaired in another week.
NO deductible since I had no claims for 4 years. I was happy with Progressive.
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#40 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Boat US also has vanishing deductible now, has for the last few years.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

MH Hawker

#41 Post by MH Hawker » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:22 pm

When I got quotes last year Boats US didn't even respond, and I am sure its because mine is a 1988
If it aint broke your not having enough fun

James & Deb

1988 Riviera Cruiser 15 HP Mariner
05 Silverado Z 71 V8 5.3

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#42 Post by badmoonrising » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:30 pm

My Starcraft is a 1967 and I have had it insured with BoatUS since '99. They just asked for pics inside and out when I first started my policy..
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

BoatCop

#43 Post by BoatCop » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:51 am

Just finished up a claim on my Tahoe (tow vehicle) with Progressive. Wife backed into a temporary Speed Limit/School Zone sign in the middle of the street. Adjuster came out the next day, took pictures, cut a check and it's getting fixed on Monday. Even pointed out a tiny nick in the lift gate glass I didn't see, and told me that they could replace the glass or leave it and give me 50% credit on the deductible (which I took).

This past summer I bent/broke the guides on the trailer recovering in a strong side-wind, and then broke the bimini backing into my folks RV car-port. (Who-da-thunk the bimini was taller than a 36' Class A motorhome?) Progressive came to the dealer inspected it and cut them a check. Made everything good as new.

No hassles in either one.
Alan
2012 22' Sun Tracker DLX Party Barge w/Merc 90 EFI 4 Stroke
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2009 GMC Sierra
2001 Jeep TJ Wrangler
1999 Southwind 34L MH
2 little Basset Hounds