Low life bastards stole my trailer!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

haganjeff

Low life bastards stole my trailer!

#1 Post by haganjeff » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:25 pm

It's been nearly a month since I've been out on the pontoon. Beuatiful day today so I go out to the marina (Fate Sanders on Percy Priest) to take the dog out and maybe get in a little fishing. My toon is in a slip at the marina and I store my trailer in one of their old, empty parking lots, hidden from the marina by a hill and a cabled gate access road.

Needless to say, as I went to check on my trailer I discovered it wasn't there. I was hesitant about leaviing it there in the first place (had thefts in the past), but am not allowed to keep the trailer in my subdivision. I felt more comfortable as the marina had started putting an inch thick cable through the wheels of several trailers, making you have to drag a whole group of them to steal one. I also had an expensive Master Lock hitch lock and a Master Lock through the pin hole.

I found the marina owner who said that about a month ago they discovered 3 trailers missing as someone had cut through the cable with grinders, even leaving the blades. My trailer was apparently the 4th stolen, but just now discovering it. The marina accepts no responsibility and doesn't really seem to want people storing their trailers there anyway. For $1,800 a year for the slip, you think they could secure the trailer, but thats another issue altogether.

Anyway, ruined my afternoon as I waited an hour and a half for a deputy to show up for a police report. I was able to take the dog out for an hour and fish for about 30 minutes before dark. Caught about a 4 pound largemouth that eased the pain a little.

Anyway, wanted to vent. Feel angry and violated. We'll see how Progressive handles replacing the trailer. I'll keep you updated as I go.

P.S. 2006 Trailstar Trailer VIN#4TM13GF176B001078
2016 Bentley Elite Admiral 220 - 115HP Suzuki
Strakes, LED Package, Hydraulic Steering

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Low life bastards stole my trailer!

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:14 am

That just sucks :box :box :box
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

ROLAND

#3 Post by ROLAND » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:42 am

Jeff, hate to hear that... It really pisses me off when some low life comes along and steals somebody's stuff.... shame of it is they'll probably never get caught... let me know how progressive does when it comes to replacing the trailer... just curious as that who I have my toon insured with.. in fact my annual premium is due in about a week and half...
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:09 am

That's just terrible. Unfortunately boat trailers in Tennessee are seldom titled or have license plates. (Other states tag'em as a way to collect ad valorem taxes.)

I'm with the others that are interested in how the insurance company will react. Fortunately, there are many dealers close to you selling pontoon trailers. My trailer is a Marine Master made an hour from you in Tullahoma, and it's very nice for the price paid.

You know, when a criminal really wants to steal something, he's going to find a way. But a pontoon trailer is something that's easy to get caught with.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Texoma Toon

#5 Post by Texoma Toon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:33 am

Since they stole 4 trailers it must have been a professional gang of thieves with transportation for that many trailers. They prob transported them out of state. It might be worth checking Craigslist and eBay just in case you can spot it. I think Louisiana is pretty laks on registering trailers too.
Hope they catch them!
2007 G3 LX 22 Fish & Cruise
90 Hp Yammy
Dual Axle Trailer

The proud American will go down into Obama's slavery without a fight, beating his chest and proclaiming to the world how free he really is. The world will only snicker. - Pravda

BoatCop

#6 Post by BoatCop » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:15 am

Progressive SHOULD come through pretty quick. I recently had a claim on the boat and trailer and Progressive came through right away. The adjuster even found some damage that the shop and I overlooked, and added it to the claim.

No hassles and they called to update me on the claim & repair status nearly every day. :thumbsup
Alan
2012 22' Sun Tracker DLX Party Barge w/Merc 90 EFI 4 Stroke
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2009 GMC Sierra
2001 Jeep TJ Wrangler
1999 Southwind 34L MH
2 little Basset Hounds

rsmith

#7 Post by rsmith » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:40 am

Ouch! I always worry about someone snagging our trailer from the dry storage yard we keep ours in, and the boat is there over winter - just put it away winter last night in fact. I put a lock on it as well, greatly lower the air in the tires, but of course that won't really keep someone from dragging it out of there if they want it.

Anyone have some other tips for preventing theft?

As for progressive, I'll consider switching to them if my regular insurance rates go up or I have issues with them. Had to deal with progressive this summer after a guy hit my motor with his anchor while trying to slip his boat in high winds. Dumb move since he had his boat slipped and decided to turn the thing around in strong winds. Anyway, progressive was great, they took a look at the boat, cut a check to the boat shop to order a new cowl and for some labor as I required a full inspection of the boat. Fortunately, there was no damage to the boat other than the cowl unit, but would you believe that was 1.6k?

Hope they come through for you just as well.
2010 25' Premier Escapade with PTX
200hp Mercury Verado

Bamaman

#8 Post by Bamaman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 am

One problem with thefts is that insurance companies usually wait 30 days after the loss to pay the claim--in case the theft is located.

In this case, the trailers had a heavy cable linking together for security measure. And the trailer had a lock on the tongue. If someone comes in with a generator and a truck with an angle grinder, they're pretty serious thieves.

The only other thing the owners could have done is put the trailers up on jack stands and remove the tires. Come to think of it, tires sprayed with silicone and kept inside out of the dark (when not being used) would have a much longer lifespan. Removing and replacing tires is no big deal with a floor jack and an impact wrench/compressor.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

STEVEBRENDA

#9 Post by STEVEBRENDA » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:59 am

Anyone have some other tips for preventing theft?
Take the wheels off of one side, better yet, take the lugs with you too. A thief is not going to go looking for materials.

I would say just take the lugs off and leave the tire on the trailer, but then the "honest" thief can just pick the wheel up as he walks by.
2014 Regency 254
Mercury 250L Verado

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Shopguy

#10 Post by Shopguy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:22 am

I know how you feel. It brings back memories of our trip to Panama City back in july when I got my pistol and some cash stolen from our car..... still pisses me off. Had to drive back to Oklahoma sittin right where that SOB sat lookin thru my family's things. Only the second time I've been ripped off.

When I was a teen I had a slick little 72 chevy pickup that was my pride and joy. about a mile from our house, had a flat and took off walkin down our dirt road. When I got back with a floor jack they'd stolen my spare, lug wrench and a timing light I had in the front seat. There was only one pickup that went by me as I walked home. I waved, they waved back and robbed me. :x
Shopguy

23' Tritoon with a 150F Yamaha
Strakes and skins

haganjeff

#11 Post by haganjeff » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks guys. I'm hoping Progressive treats me right. I'm a little worried since the lady said at first she wasn't sure if the trailer would be covered since it wasn't attached to the boat :shock: ! After a brief hold she came back and told me to disregard what she said. A certified claims rep is suppose to call me tomorrow.

The Trailstar trailer was very nice and looked like it had never been used. I hope they will provide adequate money to purchase one just as nice. The marina owner said he could get me an MFI trailer at wholesale. I don't know anything about them other than they are made an hour or so away. I'll check out the company Bamaman mentioned. Any thoughts on MFI? Also, the toon is a Bass Buggy 18 that is technically 20 foot. Do I go with a 20 foot trailer or should I go 22?
2016 Bentley Elite Admiral 220 - 115HP Suzuki
Strakes, LED Package, Hydraulic Steering

bassn386

#12 Post by bassn386 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:15 pm

I am not a violent person by nature, but I would love to be able to take a 36 inch baseball bat the sunsabitches that think they can take whatever they like.
Most, if not all, of us on this forum work hard for the things we have. We can only hope that someday the bastards who do shit like this get their just rewards.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

BoatCop

#13 Post by BoatCop » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:42 pm

I've got one of these on the hitch and a padlock through the ball lock. And that's with the boat parked next to my house.

You can never be too careful when it comes to thieves.

This past weekend, one of my Deputies was heading out to do a safety gig for the swim portion of a triathlon. He noticed a trailer parked on the public ramp, but didn't think a whole lot of it. Then when he was out on the water he found a boat floating out in the middle of the River. Engine missing, interior stripped, pretty much just the hull.

Got a hold of the owner in California and he said the last saw it, it was at a boat storage here. Why the dirtbags launched it and left the trailer is beyond me.
Alan
2012 22' Sun Tracker DLX Party Barge w/Merc 90 EFI 4 Stroke
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2009 GMC Sierra
2001 Jeep TJ Wrangler
1999 Southwind 34L MH
2 little Basset Hounds

MH Hawker

#14 Post by MH Hawker » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Back a bit earlier this summer while off on a trip. Some crack head lifted both of my fuel tanks right off of the back while my boat was sitting in a motel parking lot. And yes it wasn't all that much money to replace them I am still pissed about it
If it aint broke your not having enough fun

James & Deb

1988 Riviera Cruiser 15 HP Mariner
05 Silverado Z 71 V8 5.3

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#15 Post by badmoonrising » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 am

That's why I stored everything at home and have 6 security cameras watching my property. When I first moved here, I had some shithead stole a bunch of fishing rods out of my boat so I added cameras. Last year, I had some guy pull in my driveway (it's 300 ft long) and proceed to walk up to my fishing boat and pontoon trailer. Imagine his surprise when I walk out the back door with a pistol :rofl :rofl :rofl

The guy then claims he pulled over to "check his brakes". I told him to check his shitty brakes elsewhere. He then BACKS out of my driveway onto the busy road out font, just so I couldn't get his tag number. I was hoping he'd get plowed by a Mack truck. :fyou

A few days later, a guy with a similar description and vehicle was arrested for scrap metal thefts. :fyou
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD