CITGO GAS

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

CITGO GAS

#1 Post by ROLAND » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:37 pm

Hey guys, got a question for you.... we keep hearing soooo much about the harmful effects of ethanol in our gas ( especially the way it effect marine products ). Still around this area E-10 is about the only thing you can buy... as such I've always used either stabil marine or startron to both treat the ethanol and stabilize the fuel, especially during storage... however the other night I checked out www.pure-gas.org and found there is a Citgo station that reportedly sells ethanol free fuel, however from what I can find out it's only in thier 93 octane fuel... and I read somewhere that you shouldn't burn 93 in an outboard.... actually I read 89 was good but nothing less than 86.... so my question to you is, if you could only get ethanol free fuel in the premium 93 octane formula, would you do that or stick with a e-10 and then treat it... also, how do you guys feel about Citgo... checked the "upper fuel tier " site last night, and Citgo is not listed as one of them.... what's a boat owner to do?
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: CITGO GAS

#2 Post by lakerunner » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:56 pm

I believe Citco is owned by Hugo Chavez. As far as paying the price for 93 I would continue to use and treat E10
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

tracker2

#3 Post by tracker2 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Been thru your area a few times and have noticed that there will be two different regulars. Like an 86 and an 89 octane. One with E-10 and one without. Usually the same price. Most people will get the 89 because of the highter octane but it is also the one with ethanol. I don't believe that Citgo could sell real gas at any price if the law did not allow it.

In the Chicago area and it's beloved 5 collar counties, non ethanol fuel does not exist, no way, no how. But, move across the county line and real fuel is available everywhere. SO. In my humble opinion, there is more than one station selling real gas in that area. And I agree, don't buy the prem fuel just to stay away from E-10 and yep, Hugo owns Citgo....

dockholiday

#4 Post by dockholiday » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Think I would check just to make sure if you are in the area. I went on one of those sites that's suppose to list ethanol free gas stations an seems like the first listed was a Citgo. Anyway I went to three they listed as ethanol free an all the pumps stickers said 10 percent ethanol. Didn't go inside to verify, just went by what was on the pumps. Have not done a break down to see what it cost me to treat say a gallon, but usually go a little over on what is recommended to treat a given volume. Ethanol only got me once but at a little shy of 300 bucks don't want it to happen again.
doc

MH Hawker

#5 Post by MH Hawker » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:31 pm

I can still buy it from a fuel company or at the marina and in my case its easier to get it at the marina.
If it aint broke your not having enough fun

James & Deb

1988 Riviera Cruiser 15 HP Mariner
05 Silverado Z 71 V8 5.3

belercous

#6 Post by belercous » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:47 pm

Running higher octane rated gasoline (than what the engine requires) will not harm your engine. To a point. If you start running 100LL avgas (which is really rated as 130 automotive-wise) you will get lead deposits on your heads & pistons. 93 octane rated automotive gas won't do this. It won't harm your engine, but it really won't get you any more power unless the gas isn't diluted with ethanol. (Ethanol has less BTU's/gal than does straight gasoline. Pure gasoline gives more power than will gas diluted with ethanol.)
1994 Party Cruiser 32'
115 Mercury O/B
Restored & upgraded

STEVEBRENDA

#7 Post by STEVEBRENDA » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:48 am

I believe Citco is owned by Hugo Chavez
This has been diosproved severl tiems.

The only stations I see with ethanol free are only offering it in 93 octane. It would seem if gas is going to sit for awhile, having a little more octance could be benificial.
2014 Regency 254
Mercury 250L Verado

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

playcat

#8 Post by playcat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:24 am

STEVEBRENDA wrote:
I believe Citco is owned by Hugo Chavez
This has been diosproved severl tiems.

The only stations I see with ethanol free are only offering it in 93 octane. It would seem if gas is going to sit for awhile, having a little more octance could be benificial.
Citgo Petroleum Corporation (or Citgo) is a United States–incorporated, Venezuela-owned refiner, transporter and marketer of transportation fuels, lubricants, petrochemicals and other industrial products, according to Wikipedia. The company is owned by PDV America, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A., the national oil company of Venezuela.
While Senor Chavez does not directly OWN Citgo, he controls it and likely skims off as much as he can. Supporting Citgo supports Chavez - "nuff said.
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA

margaritaman

#9 Post by margaritaman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:55 am

Chavez subsidizes gasoline price in Venezuela that is why he is popular with poor people. Regular gas is 18 cents a gallon and diesel is twelve cents a gallon. I wish it was that way here. :cry:
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

bassn386

#10 Post by bassn386 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:33 am

Here in the Show Me state, many stations on land sell 91 octane that is listed ethanol free.
Also, here at LOTO we're lucky in that all the marinas sell ethanol free fuel (most of it is 87 octane, but there are few places that sell 93 for the high performance boats).
I fill my gas cans with 87 octane and add Mercury QwicKare ethanol treatment and then when I put the boats up for the season I add SeaFoam for long term treatment. I've been doing this on my Merc 200 hp Optimax since 2006 with absolutely no issues. I also do the same thing on the Yammi on the back of my pontoon, which the dealer highly recommended. No fogging, just make sure the SeaFoam gets thoroughly circulated in the system.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

guy48065

#11 Post by guy48065 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:58 am

Running premium in an engine that doesn't require it just costs more $ but won't harm anything. In my experience premium gas gives less trouble in small engines & those that don't see frequent use. At one point I was cleaning out the carb on a little 150cc 4-stroke almost every time I started it but after switching to premium I had no more problems with gumming or deposits.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

ROLAND

#12 Post by ROLAND » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:57 am

Don't remember where I read it, but I could swear that I read that running 93 octane in an outboard was a bad idea... the reason given was that because 93 octane burned hotter, it was much more likely to cause carbon deposits.... :donno but it seems the concensus here is other than costing a bit more, it won't hurt the motor.... good to know... Thanks.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

guy48065

#13 Post by guy48065 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:45 am

Premium doesn't burn hotter but is often used in engines that do. High compression ratios usually mean running on premium. The high CR causes lower octane gas to pre-ignite from the cylinder heat + high pressure, causing engine knocking. The extra octane lowers volatility so the fuel burns when it's supposed to. In other words a gallon of 87 has the same energy as a gallon of 93--but the engine that's designed to run on 93 will produce more power due to the high CR.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI