Need new stereo receiver

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Bamaman

Re: Need new stereo receiver

#16 Post by Bamaman » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:08 pm

I found the same receiver in my new Bennie at Best Buy for a bargain $59.95.

Unless my boat was kept under lock and key, I'd be afraid to spend too much $ on electronics unless it was removable.

You can put great speakers with a middle of the road receiver and have great sounds.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Bamby

#17 Post by Bamby » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:48 pm

Mosnowman wrote:

I have found that going Sirious/XM makes everyone happy! Obviously you do lose total control on song selection but it is commercial free and has stations perfect for coving out...

Margaritaville
Bob Marley
Tropical
Grateful Dead
40/50/60/70's

Of course a playlist on the ipod is greatas well, but we used a portable XM unit all last summer and plug in to great speakers....loved it and switched to whatever mood we were in...
I found the sound quality of satellite radio lacking or to put it bluntly it simply sucks. They over compress the music to to the point of destroying it. I'm not alone in this opinion either: Sirius sound quality still sucks. But in attacking satellite radio I also have to say some folks have also destroyed their IPod music by over-compressing their music format to enable themselves to store more low quality format choices vrs. less available choices with far superior sound.

But then again I'm more or less a Audiophile when it comes to music and anything less simply doesn't make the grade...
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

MH Hawker

#18 Post by MH Hawker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:53 pm

I went with one from Boss and while it is a lower end unit I am very happy with it with 4 boss marine speakers. I have a large collection of MP 3`s so a plain SD card is all I ever need. Snickers around 35,000
Attachments
612UA_FACE.JPG
612UA_FACE.JPG (103.78 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
If it aint broke your not having enough fun

James & Deb

1988 Riviera Cruiser 15 HP Mariner
05 Silverado Z 71 V8 5.3

quad cities

#19 Post by quad cities » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:01 am

Sorry no pics, but Recently purchased jvc unit and four pyle blue speakers from sears.com for 89.95 did not realize came with two 6inch speakers great sound all inputs on facplate and now six speakers cheap and rocks.
P.S. my really cheap buddy goes to local auto salvage yard picks up car stereos and speakers for pennies sometimes tools for his boat if it gets ruined so what goes and gets more for pennies.

curtiscapk

#20 Post by curtiscapk » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:19 am

Kenneth,

I got the BP ad yesterday and it had a boss and dual in it. The Dual is like mine. I know it has speakers which you have plenty of, but it is a good deal.

Go to page 32.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... storeID=41
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

redbeard

#21 Post by redbeard » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:20 am

Thanks for the input, what do you all think about this one?
http://www.jensenmarinedirect.com/jense ... rband.html
Truman Lake
1986 24' Playcraft "The Georgia Peach"
1996 Evinrude 88 HP
14x11 Prop

curtiscapk

#22 Post by curtiscapk » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:28 am

wow that is bad ass!!
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

The_Hellbilly

#23 Post by The_Hellbilly » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:28 am

Redneck_Randy wrote:I have the Sony CDX-H910UI Xplōd in our pontoon and it a very highly rated head unit. Has a USB port for iphone or ipod and can also have a back of the boat controller to control it or your ipod or iphone.
+1 This is what I have and & I am very pleased with it.

FWIW: I thought that the Jensen, dual, and other cheapo brands were on the same level as the "sparkomatic" brands of my youth, but I could be wrong.

One more thing to think about: if you install a good unit, you may need to upgrade the + & - wires that run from your battery to the dist. blocks. The standard 18-20ga. wire that most manf. run may not provide enough juice to adequately supply it..
Counting all the a$$holes in the room Well I'm definitely not alone

2005 Voyager 22ft Tritoon
2004 Honda 135hp
Strakes, underskinned, aluminum deck, etc.
Towed by: '11 Chevy Z71 Crewcab

redbeard

#24 Post by redbeard » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:04 am

curtiscapk wrote:One more thing to think about: if you install a good unit, you may need to upgrade the + & - wires that run from your battery to the dist. blocks. The standard 18-20ga. wire that most manf. run may not provide enough juice to adequately supply it..
Did that when I installed the Amp, all the wiring is marine tinned wire, I tried to rebuild the toon so it would be here and still going in 20-25 years, mo $$ mo $$ mo $$, we'll see.
Truman Lake
1986 24' Playcraft "The Georgia Peach"
1996 Evinrude 88 HP
14x11 Prop

screwball

#25 Post by screwball » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:21 pm

Couple years back I bought a Jensen from the bargain table at Wal Mart. First radio I ever bought with both USB input/output and an SD card slot. Used it in my Harley for a couple of years, then installed it in my 'toon'. Just can't beat the SD card slot. Got a zillion hours of MY music, don't care about radio or satellite reception, or mechanical breakdowns of the CD player.

Good Luck, and happy tunes!
We are really Steve and Vesta Brown
2012 Sun Tracker 18' Party Barge w/ 75hp Merc.
A pair of 2011 Seadoo GTI-SE PWC's
2 Harley Davidson Tri-Glides '09 mine, '11 hers
[s]A couple of Polaris 500 Scrambler Quads[/s]
We take our recreation VERY seriously

rbiederwolf

#26 Post by rbiederwolf » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:23 pm

A clarion CMD4 came with my pontoon. It has worked well and sounds very good. It is Ipod/MP3/CD etc. I still like to play CDS so having a cd player is important to me.

If I was to up grade I would get either the Clarion CMD6 or the Fusion with the CD player. The Fusion is a little pricey but has a little more power. Nice to have the head unit that you can use the controls to control your Ipod or Iphone. Also you may want to check for one that is bluetooth compatable as well
If you ain't got the the blues, you got a hole in your soul...

Rick
2007 Avalon Paradise Elite 22 Tritoon
2008 Yamaha 150hp

Mosnowman

#27 Post by Mosnowman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Bamby wrote:..
I found the sound quality of satellite radio lacking or to put it bluntly it simply sucks. They over compress the music to to the point of destroying it. I'm not alone in this opinion either: Sirius sound quality still sucks. But in attacking satellite radio I also have to say some folks have also destroyed their IPod music by over-compressing their music format to enable themselves to store more low quality format choices vrs. less available choices with far superior sound.

But then again I'm more or less a Audiophile when it comes to music and anything less simply doesn't make the grade...[/quote]

I can understand perfectionistic audiophiles in a different environment than a lake cove....BUT....with that said if you had to recommend a marine stereo under say $300-400 what brand or system would you recommend? I realize you wouldn't personally like it, but for us older guys losing our hearing that don't want to invest a grand which one would you go with? :dance
Thanks in advance....
BUSY LIVING...
2012 Harris Flotebote 240 Cruiser Tritoon
Mercury Verado 150 / Performance Package @ Rough Water Package
Columbia Mo BZLIVN
It Comes Down To a Simple Choice..Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying....

Bamby

#28 Post by Bamby » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Mosnowman wrote: I can understand perfectionist audiophiles in a different environment than a lake cove....BUT....with that said if you had to recommend a marine stereo under say $300-400 what brand or system would you recommend? I realize you wouldn't personally like it, but for us older guys losing our hearing that don't want to invest a grand which one would you go with? :dance
Thanks in advance....
I hesitate to actually recommend a specific unit due to the times we're living in. Products that were once recognized to adhering to quality standards have lost their morals. Many once recognized brands are compromised quality or even re-branded cheap inferior stuff with a recognized logo.

I once some time ago thought I'd have a better sound system by replacing a unrecognized stereo that came on a new boat with a Kenwood. The Kenwood lasted one weekend it had harmonic distortion throughout the entire power-band and at least to me and my wife it sounded like shit.

From there we went to our first Alpine unit on a boat. The Alpine performed well and sounded good even with the stock speakers that came on the boat, but being as we are we were seeking "more".

So off we go still trusting in name brands at the time and bought our first set of replacement speakers. The speakers we went with were "Bose Marine" and to be truthful the first set purchased sounded and performed really well. So well in fact the following year we purchased another set for the front of the boat. Well all I can say is something drastic happened somewhere along the time-span because the second set simply sucked. Note: Still have them and the box will sell cheap because they sound cheap. Fact is I found a cheap new set of speakers on Amazon that weren't labeled Bose that I know for a fact both are made on the same assembly line.

As far as what I currently have is another Alpine the IDA-X100M but the one sold now appears somewhat different from the one I purchased about four to five years ago. It's a great sounding unit in itself and we used it without an amp up to about two years ago when we added some more speakers. I've always found the Ipod controls clunky to say the least, but we get along OK until I manage to get to plowed and I've pretty well trained myself not to screw with it in "that condition" because I will regret it.

I think the most memorial moment I had with our system was last summer. We were tied off downriver to a houseboat partying with of an acquaintance of ours doing shots, lots of beer etc. and having a good time. Well as the evening went on he was continually turning the volume up a bit at a time and listening a bit and jacking it up some more. Over time I retreated some from direct frontage attack of anywhere near of being in front of any of the speakers I knew better it was loud and I don't mean a noisy loud more like front row concert loud where a person can feel your bones vibrate.

That darn fool stood out there for the longest time playing air guitar and enjoying the music. He finally retreated back to where I was and exclaimed he never thought it was possible to play music that loud on a boat a not hear any distortion what-so-ever. I knew then and there I had finally "got it right".
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

kryptonite

#29 Post by kryptonite » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Nusse wrote:I would go with something that either has a aux port, a iPhone connection (if that is your phone) and a blue-tooth connection... Listening to music on CDs, USB sticks etc is out... And if it ain't out at your location yet it is probably going to be within a year. The reason is SPOTIFY.
With today's smart-phones and most people getting a free Internet service with unlimited internet traffic on their account then... Unless your completely in the woods without Internet connection on your phone. SPOTIFY is the deal.

So what is SPOTIFY?
It is a Internet service where you for a very low monthly cost can create and play whatever songs you want and play lists you want. It gives you access to millions of songs.
If you dont want to pay for the premium service you can always use SPOTIFY Free. It is commercial based. Myself I pay about $12 a month so it is so worth it.

http://Www.spotify.com

Cheers,
Love me my Spotify, but I'm in the same boat as other guys. We have cell service at the lake, but internet is too slow for music streaming.

Well Spotify Premium, you can cache (fully downloads the songs to play off-line) your playlists to the phone. I may have to pay for it this summer.
2008 22' Tahoe Vista Elite Merc 75hp 4 stroke

kryptonite

#30 Post by kryptonite » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Bamby wrote:
Mosnowman wrote: I can understand perfectionist audiophiles in a different environment than a lake cove....BUT....with that said if you had to recommend a marine stereo under say $300-400 what brand or system would you recommend? I realize you wouldn't personally like it, but for us older guys losing our hearing that don't want to invest a grand which one would you go with? :dance
Thanks in advance....
I hesitate to actually recommend a specific unit due to the times we're living in. Products that were once recognized to adhering to quality standards have lost their morals. Many once recognized brands are compromised quality or even re-branded cheap inferior stuff with a recognized logo.

I once some time ago thought I'd have a better sound system by replacing a unrecognized stereo that came on a new boat with a Kenwood. The Kenwood lasted one weekend it had harmonic distortion throughout the entire power-band and at least to me and my wife it sounded like shit.

From there we went to our first Alpine unit on a boat. The Alpine performed well and sounded good even with the stock speakers that came on the boat, but being as we are we were seeking "more".

So off we go still trusting in name brands at the time and bought our first set of replacement speakers. The speakers we went with were "Bose Marine" and to be truthful the first set purchased sounded and performed really well. So well in fact the following year we purchased another set for the front of the boat. Well all I can say is something drastic happened somewhere along the time-span because the second set simply sucked. Note: Still have them and the box will sell cheap because they sound cheap. Fact is I found a cheap new set of speakers on Amazon that weren't labeled Bose that I know for a fact both are made on the same assembly line.

As far as what I currently have is another Alpine the IDA-X100M but the one sold now appears somewhat different from the one I purchased about four to five years ago. It's a great sounding unit in itself and we used it without an amp up to about two years ago when we added some more speakers. I've always found the Ipod controls clunky to say the least, but we get along OK until I manage to get to plowed and I've pretty well trained myself not to screw with it in "that condition" because I will regret it.

I think the most memorial moment I had with our system was last summer. We were tied off downriver to a houseboat partying with of an acquaintance of ours doing shots, lots of beer etc. and having a good time. Well as the evening went on he was continually turning the volume up a bit at a time and listening a bit and jacking it up some more. Over time I retreated some from direct frontage attack of anywhere near of being in front of any of the speakers I knew better it was loud and I don't mean a noisy loud more like front row concert loud where a person can feel your bones vibrate.

That darn fool stood out there for the longest time playing air guitar and enjoying the music. He finally retreated back to where I was and exclaimed he never thought it was possible to play music that loud on a boat a not hear any distortion what-so-ever. I knew then and there I had finally "got it right".
Drunk nights, tunes, volume at max, yea it happens. I'm sure anyone within a mile is cussing, but there is nothing better than a evening on the water with some good tunes!! :nana
2008 22' Tahoe Vista Elite Merc 75hp 4 stroke