Maintenance, we don’t need no stinking maintenance

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Durangopprboy

Maintenance, we don’t need no stinking maintenance

#1 Post by Durangopprboy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:28 am

Guys this is a long story so bear with
Last August my brother and I planned a trip to Navajo with no kids and some other adults. My wife couldn’t be there and knowing my brother and me she didn’t want me to take the Toon. So I pulled my camper down to Navajo made a return trip and picked up my old 1974 Tri-hull. The old boat started right up (hadn’t been run in 2 years) and after about 10 minutes it died. I then smelled HOT from the back of the boat. I pulled the cover and it was smoking. No alarm went off!! I wasn’t to far from the ramp and after it cooled of a little I restarted it and got it back on the trailer took it home and got the TOON!
Now to about a month ago. I decided to start work on the old tri-hull. Compression test 90 psi .A rebuilt power head was $1400.00 (more than the boat is worth) I did some online reading and “honed” the cylinders with 320 wet dry soaked in 2 stoke oil, replaced head gasket (it was fried), exhaust gasket and impeller and fixed the over heat alarm. Were good to go!!! I started it in the drive and it ran for 20 minutes no problems.
Went to Vallecito last weekend and it ran under load for less than 10 minutes before the overheat alarm went off. I was close to the ramp and between the wind and paddle I got it back on the trailer.
#$%$% What could it be. Checked the thermostat on the stove and it did not open. I replaced. Today the old boat ran great for 4 hours. Compression went up to 117-117-121.
I am going to pull My Toon up from the pole barn tomorrow and get it ready to go for this year.

The lessons that I learned that I am going to apply to my TOON:
I have a new impeller
I have a new thermostat.
I will test the overheat alarm to make sure it works correctly
AND I PROMISE I WILL NEVER, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN EVEN CRANK MY MOTOR WITHOUT WATER HOOKED UP.
Also from Mrs. Paperboy: I can no longer say"it'll be ok"
I'd rather go "Getto" than not go at all
96 Manatou Limited
02 GMC Sierra
98 Camplite