Finally got the Toon out

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

OK Toon

Finally got the Toon out

#1 Post by OK Toon » Mon May 20, 2013 9:30 am

We finally got enough projects done around the lake place that we decided to get the Toon our for the first time this year. There was that slight nervous feeling when I went to turn the key for the first time - will it start or will we be having motor issues. That 4-stroke 90hp Yammie fired up with no hesitation.

After I saw a post by somebody last year about the Navionics app available for Android phones, I opted to try that $10 app instead of getting a new Depth Finder and getting the $100 Navionics chip. I must say, I was very impressed with how accurate that app was on my phone. It probably wouldn't have worked so well if I was going 30-40mhp -- looking at the Navionics map, watching the depth finder and still looking ahead to watch for debris or other boats. But only going 13-14mph, I had plenty of time to keep a good eye on all 3 things and still time to have a cold beverage. I really liked the red line to show my path -- since we weren't moving very fast, that gave me a better indication if I was still on track to stay in the channel or if my slow path was going to get me into trouble at some point.

We had great weather on Saturday but storms came in on Sunday. We were heading for a nice cruise Sunday morning till we rounded a bend and headed into the strong winds from the south. The waves went from 1' to 4' all of a sudden and getting bigger. We took a good wave right over the bow and it soaked everything on the deck all the way to the stern. That was all I wanted to see of that so we made a safe U-turn and headed back to calmer waters.
Kim and Steve
2003 Lowe Suncruiser Trinidad 222
2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Spend most of our time on Lake Eufaula