Why no Motor section

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jimrs

Why no Motor section

#1 Post by jimrs » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:50 pm

I just wondered why there is not a section on power
or motors or whatever you wanted to call it?

I have a question on Merc 90 horse 2 stroke.

I have water in the lower unit, I changed the greese
and tried it again with new seals. The water pressure
gage show 14 to 15 lbs while running and I am getting
water out the side as usual, but the greese looks like
milk. Is this a water pump problem or something else?

This is the first time in over 40 years I have gotten
water in the lower unit.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

Toontroller

#2 Post by Toontroller » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:31 pm

jimrs,
Which seals did you replace? input shaft, prop shaft seals or both?
Also did you replace the o-rings on the filler and oil level plugs?
1991 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 16
Evinrude 40

Bet I have the shortest Toon on this board also

jimrs

#3 Post by jimrs » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:11 am

I just replaced the o rings on the fill and vent screws. I am taking it to the shop to get it checked out and fixed. I hate
to take anything in for service. But I hate not having a boat more.
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

jimrs

#4 Post by jimrs » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:24 am

I took the boat into the shop, local guy, and he changed the waterpump and pressure checked the lower unit. He told me that it showed no leaks. I have not yet put it in the water due to weather (rain) but plan on trying Sunday afternoon. I hope that he was right and no more leaks.

I guess after I get it in the water and run it a few min I will have to pull it out and check the lower unit for water. If there is any I will find another mechanic to find what the problem is.

He did say it was from condensation, but there was a lot of water in the lower unit for less than a 2 mile run.
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

jimrs

#5 Post by jimrs » Thu May 04, 2006 6:57 am

He just told me that he pressure checked it and it was ok. I will know more when I get it back from the other shop. I know that they will get it right as they have better mechanics, or hope they do anyway.

The mechanic said while he was in the lower unit he should have replace the seals anyway, sense it had a leak.
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

BistineauLakeTrash

#6 Post by BistineauLakeTrash » Thu May 04, 2006 10:06 am

We had all kind of lower unit problems on our last Lowe pontoon...
I just blamed it on Bistineau and it's hazardous waters!

jimrs

#7 Post by jimrs » Wed May 10, 2006 7:04 am

friday came and went no boat yet. I went buy yesterday and they were working on my lower unit.
They have replaced the housing that holds the bearing at the end of the propshaft due to corrossion. Now all they need to do is replace the rest of the seals in the lower unit and it will be ready for another season. I told him I would return thursday and pick it up. I still don't know how much this is going to cost but I would guess around $400.00 or so.

I have learned my lesson on leaving the motor sitting in the down position while parked in the boat house all summer. I just hope that it gets done this week and I don't have any more problems this year.

I can't wait to get her in the water and do some crusing around and fishing.
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

BistineauLakeTrash

#8 Post by BistineauLakeTrash » Thu May 11, 2006 6:28 am

I've heard Bistineau has a high concentration of saline which is why it's not good to leave a boat in the water too long.
Hope you get out and have a great weekend on the lake...suppose to be very nice!

jimrs

#9 Post by jimrs » Fri May 12, 2006 7:21 am

I got the boat back yesterday (Thursday). The total price was $270.62 I was surprised that it was that low. The labor was $75.00 an hour for 2 1/2 hours and the parts were only $50.00. This is plus tax and lower unit oil. I have not put the boat in the water yet as the batt was dead when I picked it up.

I will try and get it in the water Saturday and check it to see if it's fixed or another Idiot fix. I need to get it to the house so I can check out the lay-out of my new to be completed boat house. I will need to see where she sits so I can get some kind of idea where the cross beams will go for the lift. The contractor is going to be here at the end of the month to start building the roof. I have all 12 poles in the ground and he is building me a top starting with 8'' I Beams over the poles and then all steel welded metal roof rafters and a metal top. Then I will start on the lifts. I already have the lift motors and just need the pipes and hardware pulleys and clamps.

I have been working on this boat house for two years already. I hope I can finish it this year and start enjoying the boat more.
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

jimrs

#10 Post by jimrs » Sun May 14, 2006 4:24 pm

I got the boat in the water today. here are a few pic's of it setting in my soon to be completed boat house. The shop did a great job getting it fixed. I was cranking 5600 r.p.m at 24 m.p.h. but settled down to 23.7 avg. at 5000 r.p.m. it ran 22.7 I guess thats no bad for a 22 ft boat with a small 90 h.p. Merc. I Can't figure out how to post pictures. I will post some pic in the other
section.
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau