Solas New Saturn SS prop review

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

DRock

Solas New Saturn SS prop review

#1 Post by DRock » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:38 pm

I tried the Solas New Saturn SS prop on my pontoon today and was quite pleased. I had been running a Solas Amita 3 blade 13.5x15 aluminum prop and was satisfied as well, but in my experience a SS prop seems to usually out perform an aluminum so i had to try it.

The New Saturn is also 3 blade, 13.5x15 but is SS. The blade size, cup, and shape seems to be identical to that of the Amita's, but the blades are not near as thick(which i would expect when comparing blade thickness on a SS vs Aluminum prop).

Performance:

Amita: 2 people, normal load, bimini top up: 28 mph GPS @5,550 rpm
2 people, same load, bimini down: 29 mph gps @5,600 rpm
1 person, light load, bimini down: 30mph gps(flashing to 31 ocassionally) @5,600 rpm

New Saturn: 2 people, normal load, bimini top up: 29mph gps @5700 rpm
2 people, normal load, bimini down: 30mph gps(flashing to 31) @5700 rpm

I gained a solid 1 mph(which is good to me) with the prop. I have yet to try it with just myself with the bimini down and no coolers/gear so maybe she has a little more in her? The prop feels identical to the Amita through the rpms while cruising, but the New Saturn accelerates better for sure. It also seems to hook up slightly better and i gained about 100 rpm at WOT.

I find it strange that i gained 100 rpm going from Aluminum to SS. The only thing i can think of is the New Saturn is more efficient/easier to turn at high rpms since the blades are thinner. I'm also assuming my 90hp doesn't have the hp to make an aluminum prop "deflect" or lose pitch like higher hp outboards do.

My only complaint is the notorious backlash rattle that the 4s 4 cyl. yamamerc's have in gear at idle with the SS prop. Evidently the prop loads/unloads in between strokes at idle in gear and it makes a faint "rattle". Raise the throttle to 900 rpm and it's gone. It doesn't bother me though because the increase in speed, rpm, and acceleration is worth it for me.
2006 20' Odyssey 220C. 2006 Mercury 90 4s. Underskinned, jackplate. 13.5x15 SS prop. 31mph gps
2001 F150 5.4 Super cab short bed 4x4
2013 F150 Ecoboost. Crew cab short bed 4x4