Dull and proud of it!!!!!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

papamendy

Dull and proud of it!!!!!

#1 Post by papamendy » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:49 am

Ok...so the new seating arrived yesterday and Im glad I spent the $$$ and went with the Signature series furniture. It cost more but will look like a million when it gets put on. Now with the restoration complete from the water line up everything looks like new and I cant wait for the ice to go away. My name is papa....and Im a dull tooner. I have been a dull tooner for 3 years now. I admit i cleaned and polished them the first year I got it and it looked great for a while. And other than the odd trip to take the boat to FL for vacation...it is used in a springfed Mtn lake. I powerwash them when dirty and wipe down but the "shine" is gone.....and I dont care!!!!! After spending all the time on making everything funtional,new and clean....I have come to the realization that my toons will stay dull as I am going to focus all my time on topside and all the enjoyment that comes with it. I know there is nothing more beautiful than a mirror finsh on a good looking toon...but I will not polish. I know there are more out there like me....like things neat and clean and functional.....but will not cross the polishing line. Dont be afraid....I believe our highly polished friends will overlook our shortcoming and still visit us on the lake. Not having to polish...leaves me more time to stock the cooler and fire up the BBQ.....now who's with me!!!!!!
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

g8rcrazy

#2 Post by g8rcrazy » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:31 am

In the words of Doc Holiday -- I'll be your Huckleberry!

I too am a dull 'tooner, for the same reasons you mentioned Papa. The top side is clean and functional and thats where the party is (occasionally it might be a small party in the water under the boat :wink: )

I tried some polish a truck driver friend of mine gave me and it worked great on the one spot I tried it on! Then I looked at the big picture, the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say and concluded the same as you -- Other things were more important than a shiney log!!!!
20' BassBuggy, 60HP Evinrude
Pulled by '04 Dodge Quad 1500 HEMI

No matter where you go there you are!

In memory of 6x6

papamendy

#3 Post by papamendy » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:31 am

see... thanks to mike you can talk about getting your log polished on this forum without the fear of retribution. Free at last ....free at last.

PalmbeachBear

Ya

#4 Post by PalmbeachBear » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:51 pm

Hey,
Last edited by PalmbeachBear on Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

papamendy

#5 Post by papamendy » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:56 am

My logs still look clean with a little luster left in them. They are not pitted or deteriorating. Women and children still dont have to look away in horror when they see the boat, Im pretty sure that these babaies will be sitting on some lake somewhere long after Im dead....they may not be mirror-like....but they will outlast me. New seats,new bimini,stereo,rug and a 20 year old motor that never fails to start....plus a full cooler....makes it easier to swallow my contribution to the world of dull aluminum logs.

Backlash

#6 Post by Backlash » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:24 am

HandymanHerb wrote:I don't like these wide posts you have to keep moving the page the read the whole thing, isn't there some way of doing it without all the scrolling

Photos that are too large is what makes the post too wide.

Mike, is it possible to add a photo editing feature to attachment area?
22' Landau Conquest/ 90HP Suzuki
1994 Chevy 3/4 ton 350

Wichita, Kansas

mike
Site Owner

#7 Post by mike » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:15 am

I resized this one down to 640 x 480... I dont think I can limit the actual resolution of the photo, but I can limit the file size...

I think everyone should just install microsoft photo resizer which gives you a one click ability to automatically resize any picture and it automatically saves it as a new file with the word small after it!

I will see if I can find a link...
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

mike
Site Owner

#8 Post by mike » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:27 am

Oh, and handyman.. I fixed your signature pic, for some reason you it didnt show up when hotlinked to the harris site so I changed it to the one I posted here... Hope you dont mind! :oops:
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#9 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:10 pm

I tried it a few ways a couldn't get it to work and now I see all I have is a red cross so we still need to work on it, and I don't mind help at all, just tell me how to do it right next time
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

Pop24

#10 Post by Pop24 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:50 pm

mike wrote:I resized this one down to 640 x 480... I dont think I can limit the actual resolution of the photo, but I can limit the file size...

I think everyone should just install microsoft photo resizer which gives you a one click ability to automatically resize any picture and it automatically saves it as a new file with the word small after it!

I will see if I can find a link...
Mike, have you found that link? I'd like to submit some photos and need to resize the pics......

Thanks
"My drinking friends have a lake problem"
2006 Bennington 22' TripleToon,Yamaha 150

mike
Site Owner

#11 Post by mike » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:26 pm

Oops, here it is...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... ySetup.exe

Very handy, I use it often!
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

driftfisher

#12 Post by driftfisher » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:19 pm

:wink: I'm with you papa. I only have four day off a month and even tho my boat is new I am not going to polish.
you have to be careful if you don't know where you are going because you might not get there.

jimrs

#13 Post by jimrs » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

This is why I bought a poontoon boat, I got tired
of waxing and cleaning my 23 ft Sea Ray. I try my
best to keep it clean, but draw the line at polishing
the toons. Pull it out at the end of the season and
wash, and clean it and put it up for the winter. Then
in the spring I clean it and put it in the water.

I guess I'm too old to wax and polish anymore.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

jamelvin

#14 Post by jamelvin » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:22 pm

My name is Joe and I'm also a dull tooner (my wife will be glad to verify). I've cleaned them and put car wax on but never worried too much about the shine. Now if someone wants to clean & polish them I will not argue one bit.
Joe

Southern Illinois

dalehelman

#15 Post by dalehelman » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:31 pm

I to am a dull tooner. I like to keep it clean, but I would rather be on it than under it unless its in the water and I'm looking for shade.
Dale Helman
32 feet Tracker party cruiser
135HP I/O