Glad I have a back up boat !

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mitchwilldoit

Glad I have a back up boat !

#1 Post by mitchwilldoit » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:08 pm

I am getting a lot frustrated with my engine 99 4 stroke 50 merc. this the second time I had to drag myself back home with my backup boat.

Starts up fine ride up to a local river restaurant have dinner about 2 hrs. Back to see the manatees it will not kick over cranks and cranks no start. check the squeeze ball no fuel in it at all. pump it up hard still no start. have a fuel separator and only use non ethanol gas. the fuel tank was vented. It was like it had no gas.

Any suggestions

Mitch

PlaynDoc

Re: Glad I have a back up boat !

#2 Post by PlaynDoc » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:37 pm

good insurance, then dynamite.
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#3 Post by badmoonrising » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Sounds like your fuel pump is toast. Try starting it with starting fluid. If it does start = fuel issue. Pull off the fuel inlet line, put a container under it and crank the motor. No fuel = bad pump.

Have the fuel filters been changed recently ?

If not, check for spark. No spark = electrical issue.

May sound dumb, but does it have a safety lanyard and is it functional ?
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

cleatus

#4 Post by cleatus » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:05 am

badmoonrising wrote: May sound dumb, but does it have a safety lanyard and is it functional ?
not dumb, I forgot to connect the lanyard to the kill switch once last summer, cranked and cranked, squeezed the primer bulb several times, then realized what was wrong. hooked it up and it fired. I felt like a doofus, just my wife and dog was onboard, wife rolled her eyes...dog wagged his tail.
here, pull my finger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2011 Godfrey Sweetwater
Yamaha F70

bassn386

#5 Post by bassn386 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:21 am

Cleatus, that's happened to me a couple of times on my bass boat. The kill switch is very sensitive and will come out with almost no pull at all. After an embarrassing call to a marina (the guy diagnosed it over the phone), I'm always double checking.
Another issue I encountered many years ago with an Evinrude was the starter solenoid not engaging on the fly wheel. Once someone pointed it out I knew what the issue was. Had to remove the cowling and tap the solenoid so it would engage.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#6 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:45 am

Got a call from my brother wanting to know if I had trouble last time out, he couldn't get it to crank and he's a hour away from the house, said it's the last time I take it without starting the engine at the house, DUH, I was nice and didn't say a thing, told him to hold the key and move the shifter our neutral switch may be out adjustment and it cranked.

He's is a weekend boater for sure but I'll get him up to speed sooner or later
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

mitchwilldoit

#7 Post by mitchwilldoit » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Well !!!!thanks for all your support and suggestions. I was not going to bother with the boat until next year. But it's sunny and 86 (sorry). So I had to give it a shot. Go figure ... it started just like a finely tuned car. We are going for a ride and not turning it off until we get back. Comments welcomed !!!!

mitchwilldoit

#8 Post by mitchwilldoit » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:30 pm

I found a toggle switch under the ignition switch. It doesn't seem to do anything in either position. had a nice ride no stops.

jrolin1

#9 Post by jrolin1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:57 am

If it happens again pull a spark plug and see if it is flooded. I have an old tohatsu that can be picky restarting if you give it gas to start it after it has been run for a while. After much trial and error I learned not to give it throttle and if it did flood to disconnect the fuel line and give it throttle until it fired up. Once I learned it secrets it has been fine for years.

ROLAND

#10 Post by ROLAND » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:14 am

HandymanHerb wrote:Got a call from my brother wanting to know if I had trouble last time out, he couldn't get it to crank and he's a hour away from the house, said it's the last time I take it without starting the engine at the house, DUH, I was nice and didn't say a thing, told him to hold the key and move the shifter our neutral switch may be out adjustment and it cranked.

He's is a weekend boater for sure but I'll get him up to speed sooner or later

HA.... The very first time I tried to use our boat... that happened to me.... backed down at the launch, turned the key.... NADA, ZERO, ZILCH...... checked everything I knew to check, still nothing... take the boat home when my neighbor comes over.... I tell him about it and he looks up and says " is it in neutral? ".... only takes once... hasn't happened to me since. :lol3
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#11 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:42 am

Yep, you do it once and learn, just like the people who cast off before starting the engine and then someone has to help them back to the dock, start it at the house before you leave, someone might have left something on and ran down the battery.

All stuff you learn the hard way some time, but reading here you learn about a lot of them, but some time you just have to learn the hard way and then you never forget
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

Rascal

#12 Post by Rascal » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:27 am

A lesson that you pay for in sweat, embarrassment, or money.... Is a lesson that you will always remember.

Good advice? we never seem to take it or remember it.

From personal experience......

Rascal
Fishing Year Round SW Florida
Gulf Coast & Pine Island Sound

Premier 22' 2012 Cast A Way
115 hp Honda, 15.5 x 13 prop
Sea Star Power Steering
Day Enclosure
Loan Star Anchor Winch
Fixed Mount ipad Air for
Navigation & Satellite Weather

OK Toon

#13 Post by OK Toon » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:57 pm

Yep, guilty of that myself. First time out with our toon and beached to swim awhile. Loaded back up and shoved off shore and couldn't get the motor to start. Finally realized I hadn't put it in neutral when we beached and I turned it off. Lesson learned.
Kim and Steve
2003 Lowe Suncruiser Trinidad 222
2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Spend most of our time on Lake Eufaula

mitchwilldoit

#14 Post by mitchwilldoit » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:31 am

sorry I didn't notice the additional posts on this thread. Started looking on craigslist for a prop. Found several really good prices. Still not sure of the size. Called a guy last night has a new in the box Merc prop 40 bucks :). Got into me Jon boat and took my pontoon prop off and just to be sure slippage was the problem, I crossed my fingers and floated down to my hot rod boat with a 50 Mariner, took the prop off and it fit perfectly on the Merc.

It is cold here... don't laugh, 60 is freekin cold for us. Took the toon out for a run. Wow what a difference
I got a speed toon. We actually had to hold on.

Happy tooning :)