Third pontoon !!!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mitchwilldoit

Third pontoon !!!

#1 Post by mitchwilldoit » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:45 pm

I have a old 24 ft JC funtoon it is a tank very heavy solid frame with a merc 50 4 stroke also heavy. I just added a very heavy fiber glass canopy roof supported by metal pipe poles covered by pvc pipe.

We generally take take 6 10 people out with us.

Question do you think I should add a third pontoon. Eventually will get some photos of Mellow Yellow.
Thanks

playcat

Re: Third pontoon !!!

#2 Post by playcat » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:01 pm

You added a lot of weight - I know since I have a 16X8.5 sundeck on my playcraft - so adding more buoyancy is a good thing. Especially if you intend to carry a crowd. Don't forget adding weight above your deck raises your center of gravity, reducing stability. More buoyancy will get some of that stability back (but not all).

Keep us advised of your changes...sounds interesting!
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:44 pm

You'd probably be putting good money after bad. A 3rd toon really needs some horsepower to give you benefits of overcoming added weight and drag.

And I wouldn't suggest going the tritoon on a boat that's not current in styling. Hopefully you would have enough horsepower to use lifting strakes on the 3rd toon where the nosecones get out of the water. That's where the speed and efficiency improvements are made. It's more than just improving weight carrying abilities to improve seaworthiness.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

ezrollin

#4 Post by ezrollin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:54 pm

My brother-in-law has a 28 ft pontoon with an 8x12 cabin and flotation was ok with two logs but it would tilt to one side if a couple of people were on the same side.He added a third shorter tube and it solved the problem completely,we have gone in water as shallow as 1 1/2 ft [gps].A third tube definitely makes a difference.

mitchwilldoit

#5 Post by mitchwilldoit » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:09 am

I think I am going to do it. We will be taking it out for bottom paint and a good cleaning. I think a 15 or 18 foot toon in the center has got to bring it higher out of the water and support all my new friends I got since I bought this party machine ;)
On craigslist for a single toon. everyone wants to sell two. Also looking for a trolling motor (bow thruster )
Turning in a narrow canal and docking is changeling especially for my wife. I have seen cool Motor glides with wireless controls.
Happy New Year boating planning to all.

ezrollin

#6 Post by ezrollin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:42 am

My third tube was a "new" take-off at a local boat dealer.It was taken off because it had the rails welded slightly off center which made it sit at a slight angle.I had to add runners to the existing rails to bring it down to match my existing tubes so I made one runner higher than the other to compensate and it lined up perfect and I got it at half price of a new one ! I installed it recessed in front with back even which makes my motor sit outside the tube.This how the newer tri-toon are made and is suppose to make it more efficent.My tube didn't come with a motor transom so we welded the original to the third toon.

mofn

#7 Post by mofn » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Hell yes do it!
I did it two years ago to my 24 foot Harris that has 19 inch toons. I added a 15 foot 28 inch toon with a motor mount. Wish I did it years ago. It raised my 2 outside toons about 6 inches. It has taken two years to work out bugs ie: pitch, motor height, engine problems not related to the toon etc. I have a 85 hp... going to have it straked next does not get up on plane unless in a chop heading into the wind.
What I got out of it was lift on the other two toons, much better steering, and its quieter (you hear much less) being lower on the motor pod. I did lose 2-3.5 mph with it when all said and done after zeroing it in. I have not had a finless brown moment with it since, and go places now I never did before on the big lake due to the extra lift. The new toon gave me an extra 1256 pounds of capacity.

Good luck
I have an old post somewhere here about installing it.