Experince mounting SI transducer on toon

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

fredeboy

Experince mounting SI transducer on toon

#1 Post by fredeboy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:44 am

I am about to mount a new :nana Hummingbird SI unit on my rig. Anyone have any tips to watch out for?
TIA

BoatCop

Re: Experince mounting SI transducer on toon

#2 Post by BoatCop » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Was pretty straight forward for me.

Transducer mounted on tab on port toon. Wires run up and over the fore-aft longitudinals joining and zip tied with the engine control cables and wires, up through the deck below the dog house (console). Bonded the wire from the transducer to the back of the pontoon tube with silicone so they wouldn't chafe. Bottom of transducer level with, or within 1/16" below, bottom on the toon.

Had to dig out the foam sealant the factory used to seal the opening through the deck to get the transducer wire through, but just used some spray foam from the hardware store to seal it back up. Any extra cable, just fold it together and zip-tie it up and out of the way. Don't even think about trying to trim it to length and/or splice it shorter. If you need additional length, Humminbird has extension cables in 10' and 20' lengths.

Mounted the main unit to the top of the console. Only advice here, is to put it someplace where you can see it (obviously) and where it's not blocking or getting in the way of any of the gauges, buttons or controls. (locate the ideal location with the unit attached to the base, and not with the base only.) Also try and keep it out of your direct view, so it's not blocking your view while underway.

Check below where you want to mount it to make sure you're not drilling through wires, cables, etc. Use big washers or a backing plate to through-bolt the base. Don't just use the enclosed wood screws. They WILL eventually back out or strip the hole in the fiberglass/plywood. If you absolutely have to use the wood screws, drill a small pilot hole and don't just ram the wood screws into the fiberglass.

For the power, hook it up to a constant hot (not key controlled) power source under the console. There should be a blank accessory power slot on the main fuse block. If so, you can just use the fuse for that slot (double check amp requirements) or if not, use an in-line fuse for protection.
Alan
2012 22' Sun Tracker DLX Party Barge w/Merc 90 EFI 4 Stroke
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2009 GMC Sierra
2001 Jeep TJ Wrangler
1999 Southwind 34L MH
2 little Basset Hounds

fredeboy

#3 Post by fredeboy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Thanks Boatcop
Do you find you have to tilt the motor up some to use the side image function? Instructions say you must have clear line of sight to the side. If I mount it on the tap on back of toon where my current transducer is located I will have to trim up quite a bit to not be in line of sight with motor.

blackberg

#4 Post by blackberg » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:24 pm

I have an SI as well, I do get some interference from the motor, especially at higher speeds, my trim comes down by itself gradually, so going so slow I can use it with the motor up and it will gradually get in the way.

I have fashioned an extension, about 8 inches out of aluminum flat stock but have not installed it yet, imagine the tabs on the transducer about 8 in longer,
It will get it of the wake and the motor

-bb

fredeboy

#5 Post by fredeboy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:13 pm

My setup must be different. It will take 16 inches at least to get me past the motor. Even more if I trim up

steveiam

#6 Post by steveiam » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Don't know if this will be any help to ya, but I have an HDS Lowrance unit, and here is where my SI transducer is located.
I have no interference at all.

I often wonder if Jimmy really did crack corn, and why should I care?