Dry Boatin' 2014

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

tuned

Dry Boatin' 2014

#1 Post by tuned » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:36 pm

I doubt if I actually coined the phrase, but I have been using it...and doing it....for many years.
Not sure if this shot technically qualifies, as my a** was wet afterward :smoke

I showed you mine, so now its time to show us yours :biggrin2
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN

blackberg

Re: Dry Boatin' 2014

#2 Post by blackberg » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:18 pm

If i were not so busy right now, I would be at the lake or bay, it was in the mid 80s today.

-bb

tuned

#3 Post by tuned » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:46 am

OK, so I envisioned this thread as possibly a yearly place for peoples like myself that can't seem to find any warm water to soak in, or possibly don't have a working boat even tho the weather is nice (I won't name names, but his initials are Craig-sorry bro).

Although it could be a place to complain about the weather (aaand I don't want to hear about how nice it is-sorry bb), I was hoping to be able to make a spot for everyone to dump a few of their 'dry' shots and commiserate about how much it can suck (at times) living north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Even more than complaining tho, I kind of suspect that many people here actually have a tremendously good time Dry Boatin'. I know that I sure do.

So let's see 'em boys and girls!
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

curtiscapk

#4 Post by curtiscapk » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:34 am

tuned wrote:OK, so I envisioned this thread as possibly a yearly place for peoples like myself that can't seem to find any warm water to soak in, or possibly don't have a working boat even tho the weather is nice (I won't name names, but his initials are Craig-sorry bro).

Mine is running now that it's Freezing!

Although it could be a place to complain about the weather (aaand I don't want to hear about how nice it is-sorry bb), I was hoping to be able to make a spot for everyone to dump a few of their 'dry' shots and commiserate about how much it can suck (at times) living north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Even more than complaining tho, I kind of suspect that many people here actually have a tremendously good time Dry Boatin'. I know that I sure do.

Here is my favorite from last year!

So let's see 'em boys and girls!
Attachments
SAM_0945.JPG
Not running dry boating!
SAM_0945.JPG (288.03 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
SAM_0571.JPG
SAM_0571.JPG (93.91 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

tuned

#5 Post by tuned » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:00 am

Yep. Dry boatin' at its finest! I especially like the living room shot :lol3

Craig, I knew that you were up and running thank God. Just thought I'd give ya one last jab.
As my motor is still sitting on a stand, I may still be in the running for this years highly coveted 'Latest Launch Trophy'. Let's hope not. Otherwise, I will be forced to post Dry Boatin shots in mid-July. :coffee
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

rob28

#6 Post by rob28 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Mine is currently shrink wrapped, so I'm not even able to sit on one end of it.......
Bring on the summer as this winter sucks. Too cold for sledding or too much powder so constantly getting stuck and digging out, or now broken sled in the shop for repairs....

Here she is before the white stuff flew, and flew, and flew......

Used to be a 2013 Sylvan Mirage Cruise 8520 LE powered by a Merc 50 Bigfoot.
Now we have a 2019 Sylvan Mirage 8522 DLZ LE powered by a Yamaha VF150..
2010 F-150 4.6L to haul it around.
You'll find us enjoying life on the Wabigoon.

tuned

#7 Post by tuned » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:13 pm

rob28 wrote:Mine is currently shrink wrapped, so I'm not even able to sit on one end of it.......
Bring on the summer as this winter sucks. Too cold for sledding or too much powder so constantly getting stuck and digging out, or now broken sled in the shop for repairs....
Courage Rob. The good sledding is coming. Besides, if you just kept ur squeezer on the bar, you wouldn't get buried near as often :biggrin2
I feel your pain tho. Even with all the cold weather, the early snow f'd up the lake sooo bad. Slush everywhere. The trails are pristine tho. I'll meet ya halfway sometime. How bout Manitou?

Here's one of my favorite dry boatin shots from a couple years ago:
Iffy the Boat Monkey supervising the refit
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

rob28

#8 Post by rob28 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:30 pm

tuned wrote: Even with all the cold weather, the early snow f'd up the lake sooo bad. Slush everywhere. The trails are pristine tho. I'll meet ya halfway sometime. How bout Manitou?
Being English with only 5 years Canadian experience, slushy lakes are not natural...... I'm willing to follow mates out on the lake but the wife is a lot more wary. She won't even drive over the ice road that has a whole village of ice shacks and associated trucks and toys around.

I loved the winter a couple of years ago when the lakes froze deep and skating was possible for a couple of weeks before the snow flew - I'm only now learning the different styles of ice/snow/slush etc...

If we had reliable sleds and some decent riding experience I'd be tempted to meet up, but one sled is in the shop for repairs and the other is like a Cadillac - great on a groomed trail but useless on anything else. Show it twisty stuff and it's not much fun - Yamaha Venture.....
Used to be a 2013 Sylvan Mirage Cruise 8520 LE powered by a Merc 50 Bigfoot.
Now we have a 2019 Sylvan Mirage 8522 DLZ LE powered by a Yamaha VF150..
2010 F-150 4.6L to haul it around.
You'll find us enjoying life on the Wabigoon.

tuned

#9 Post by tuned » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:47 pm

rob28 wrote:
tuned wrote: Even with all the cold weather, the early snow f'd up the lake sooo bad. Slush everywhere. The trails are pristine tho. I'll meet ya halfway sometime. How bout Manitou?
Being English with only 5 years Canadian experience, slushy lakes are not natural...... I'm willing to follow mates out on the lake but the wife is a lot more wary. She won't even drive over the ice road that has a whole village of ice shacks and associated trucks and toys around.

I loved the winter a couple of years ago when the lakes froze deep and skating was possible for a couple of weeks before the snow flew - I'm only now learning the different styles of ice/snow/slush etc...

If we had reliable sleds and some decent riding experience I'd be tempted to meet up, but one sled is in the shop for repairs and the other is like a Cadillac - great on a groomed trail but useless on anything else. Show it twisty stuff and it's not much fun - Yamaha Venture.....
I hate slush. I'm surprised more people haven't died in it. I won't ride a slushy lake alone..ever. Numerous times, we have had to do a 'rescue run'. One guy standing on his stranded sled seat to keep his feet dry. Partner flies by him several times to make a sort of usable track. If lucky, the stranded guy doesn't get soaked in the process. Then maybe, MAYBE can drive out. Often times not and that sled is stuck there until conditions improve (sometimes weeks). Then several sleds, ropes, axes, chainsaws and shovels later...well...crud.
Just rescuing the guy alone can be interesting. Trying to jump on the back of a moving sled as he doesn't dare slow down much can make for some humorous moments.

To be honest. I prefer the trails most of the time. A nice relaxing ride to a resort for a burger and a beer suits me just fine. I run an old beat up long track Cat....very heavy. Nothing fancy. I sure do like my reverse and electric start tho. Worth every pound.

I guess sledding on a frozen lake ALMOST counts as dry boating? Just don't forget ur ice picks. :scared
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

fergusmj

#10 Post by fergusmj » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Went out today to drop off the console and get it out of our den. My first experience dry boating. Like most things, not as fun doing it dry, bust still better than nothing. :leghump

My wife lasted 5 minutes in the 15* shed.

Ferg's Tritoon Build
[url]http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17012[/url]

tuned

#11 Post by tuned » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:09 am

fergusmj wrote: My first experience dry boating. Like most things, not as fun doing it dry, bust still better than nothing. :leghump
Being well versed in the fine art of DryBoatin, I spotted ur problem right away. Empty beer holder. Total rookie mistake. No worries ferg, we all gotta start somewhere :biggrin2
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

curtiscapk

#12 Post by curtiscapk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:04 pm

You'll never see an empty holder in any of my pics! :drink2 :drink2 :drink2 :drink2 :drink4 :drink4
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

bodie

#13 Post by bodie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:47 am

Great thread...
B.S.BARge
Bodie & Stefanie
Central Ohio Lakes
Alumn Creek, Buckeye Lake, Hoover Reservoir
2007 Chevy Sliverado Z71
2001 Bennington 207L, 2001 Mercury 50HP, 2001 Load Rite trailer
1967 Starcraft Nassau, Game Fisher 9.9 HP, Rusty and Trusty trailer

fergusmj

#14 Post by fergusmj » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:44 am

I'll make it right guys!. This instance was just dropping some stuff off and I was with the wife. Once the weather gets to where I can actually work on the boat, you'll see some beverages, don't worry about that. :smoke :drink
Ferg's Tritoon Build
[url]http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17012[/url]

tuned

#15 Post by tuned » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:28 pm

My latest dry boat shot. Well part of a boat. Notice the beer holder is FULL :biggrin2

I am starting to hit my stride on this projectLots of shiny new shots in the Al build thread and more coming.
ToddBob
International Falls, MN