Trailering vs. Valet vs. Slip Rental

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

blackberg

Re: Trailering vs. Valet vs. Slip Rental

#16 Post by blackberg » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:01 am

I was thinking of doing a #2 type at big bear lake out here, as slips are almost 2x as much. The pricing was about the same. The lake is 2+ hours from my place, taking the boat ads another hour since the best option is taking the long way.

-bb

MH Hawker

#17 Post by MH Hawker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:43 am

Also why i like my marina it has a full time staff and cameras.
If it aint broke your not having enough fun

James & Deb

1988 Riviera Cruiser 15 HP Mariner
05 Silverado Z 71 V8 5.3

fergusmj

#18 Post by fergusmj » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:34 am

BobL wrote:Well I am bored (as our town is basically shut down due to a rare ice/sleet storm) so had a little time to kill.....

http://www.yellowpages.com/monticello-in/storage-units

Maybe some of the ones on this list have one big enough. Not sure of your boat size but a lot of mini storages have spaces that will fit but you would likely have to put your bimini down in "trailering position".

Not sure what pricing is like but where I live, covered storage (and that is with a door that you can pad lock) runs $1200 to $2000 per year and these have units plenty big enough for a 25' toon. The more expensive one has concrete drives and floors, cameras, controlled access via key pad, someone onsite 24x7, etc.

At those prices, the slip is clearly more desirable but you have the theft worry (which may be slight or non-existent). Unless you have some big bad a$$ stereo system or built in GPS/depth finder or expensive trolling motor then most professional thieves would not bother a pontoon. Only drunk kids or meth heads would bother with the standard stuff that comes on a pontoon.

BobL, thanks for the look-up. I guess I had only been thinking about boat specific storage places. Hadn't really thought much about normal storage units. I appreciate it.
Ferg's Tritoon Build
[url]http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17012[/url]

babock

#19 Post by babock » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:35 pm

blackberg wrote:I was thinking of doing a #2 type at big bear lake out here, as slips are almost 2x as much. The pricing was about the same. The lake is 2+ hours from my place, taking the boat ads another hour since the best option is taking the long way.

-bb
Just bought a pontoon to use exclusively at Big Bear. I also bought a slip at Pine Knot. They are selling relatively cheap right now.

$500/year for common area fee and $350 or so for property tax per year plus the value of these will go up since they are probably ar their low right now.
2006 Suntracker Party Barge 21
Mercury 90 4 stroke

Drago

#20 Post by Drago » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:33 pm

I guess I missed it here but why don't you keep the boat in the barn where you built it? Or outside the barn if it is a garage where you normally keep the truck? If outside, get a mooring cover for it ($1,200). We weighed the cost of keeping it in a slip on our lake (($2,000-$2,500)/year. It would be relatively secure, covered and we would not have to launch and load each trip. We would have to bring all the crap (beer, food, captains drinks, towels, extra clothing, etc.) every time we came to the slip. We would then have to load all the crap from the truck to the boat and back later. Trust me! Coolers can get heavy. I talked Joy (1st Mate) into parking it at home (much more secure), cheaper, and much more accessible to maintain, clean and load up with crap before the short drive to the ramp (launch fee = $10.00). Is that an option for you?
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop
Best ever top speed 69.2KPH

curtiscapk

#21 Post by curtiscapk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:01 pm

We do similar to Drago, except THE FLOATER stays at our lake lots. Fairly secure... Gated community that has some shady characters but none of our stuff messed with in 5 years. WE load everything up and drive 3 miles to the $3 dollar launch. But then again the lake is 100 miles away and we go 2 weekends a month during April - Sept.... Tough choice and good luck!
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

fergusmj

#22 Post by fergusmj » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Drago wrote:I guess I missed it here but why don't you keep the boat in the barn where you built it? Or outside the barn if it is a garage where you normally keep the truck? If outside, get a mooring cover for it ($1,200). We weighed the cost of keeping it in a slip on our lake (($2,000-$2,500)/year. It would be relatively secure, covered and we would not have to launch and load each trip. We would have to bring all the crap (beer, food, captains drinks, towels, extra clothing, etc.) every time we came to the slip. We would then have to load all the crap from the truck to the boat and back later. Trust me! Coolers can get heavy. I talked Joy (1st Mate) into parking it at home (much more secure), cheaper, and much more accessible to maintain, clean and load up with crap before the short drive to the ramp (launch fee = $10.00). Is that an option for you?
The barn isn't mine. Some friends just bought a new house and it has a huge barn that they aren't using right now. They're being gracious enough to let me build the boat there right now, but I wouldn't ask them to store it there regularly. Also, When I pulled the boat in the first time, I took out quite a few branches trying to make the turn. They have trees on each corner of their driveway and they are right at the corner of the driveway and the 1.5 lane wide road. I would never go boating if I had to do that everytime. Also, just getting it int he barn was a hassle. 24' trailer with an f150 = crap turning radius.
Ferg's Tritoon Build
[url]http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17012[/url]

JohnO

#23 Post by JohnO » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:25 am

I'm on Lake Monroe. $3100 a year for my slip and two lockable dock boxes. No lift.
So the 2000 they are quoting for a slip with alift and a patio area is dirt cheap.

It's worth every penny.

I did have my stereo stolen the first week in the slip. But since then (5 years) nothing's been touched.

The real value comes in the usability of the boat. While these pontoons are awesome on the water, they are nightmares to launch and retrieve if you're by yourself.

The first 3 years I had the boat I used it a total of 9 times. Not a good investment at all.

I live twelve miles form the ramp. Getting the boat out of the storage yard and to the lake and on the water was just not worth the hassle

Once I had it in the slip I used it almost every weekend. (And I'm often out alone)

Go with the slip. (Just make sure your stereo faceplate is not kept on the boat. They won't mess with it if the whole thing's not there)
2006 24' Manitou Osprey Pro SHP F2
175 Yamaha VMax
2016 Ford F150