Trailering vs. Valet vs. Slip Rental

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

fergusmj

Trailering vs. Valet vs. Slip Rental

#1 Post by fergusmj » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:55 am

Hey all,

Planning on using the boat this year on Lake Freeman in Monticello, IN. Anyone have thoughts on what a boat slip with powered lift should run? I have a few options and I'm looking for some input as this is my first time with a boat

1. Inside storage near the lakes. I would call ahead and they would pull my trailer with boat out for me, then I would pickup, and have to take to the slip. Then return and they would put away.
Pros: Cheapest option at around $500 for the summer
Cons: Have to call ahead to get boat out for pickup. Have to take truck and haul boat to ramp and launch everytime. Added cost for driving truck to lake (about 35-40 min)

2. Valet at local marine. I would call ahead and they would have my boat out and in the water for me when I got there. If I wanted to go out early or get back late (outside of their hours), I would have to tie the boat up overnight or they would have to tie it up before they closed for the day
Pros: No hassle of putting boat in water. Can take car to lake
Cons: Approx $1,250 for the boating summer. Boat would be left on the water sometimes depending when I wanted to use it. May not be able to boat if I decide to go last minute and they are closed. Someone else always putting my boat in the water

3. Slip rental. One of the places on the lake just got bought and they are redoing their slip area this year. They are installing 18 powered boat lifts that can be rented. I would have 24/7 access to my boat and it would be up out of the water. They also are going to build decks above each lift that the renters can use as their little patio area.
Pros: No hassle of putting boat in water. Can take car to lake. 24/7 access to boat. In a cove and out of rough water
Cons: Not much "security" for someone to mess with my boat. Most expensive option at $2,000

As of right now, these are the only 3 options that I'm aware of for this lake. I'm leaning towards the slip rental. Being able to come and go as I please and not worry about someone else putting my boat in and out of the water is nice. The patio deck is nice too and I would be able to setup a solar trickle charger feature too I would think. Even though it's the most expensive, I feel like for it being our first year on the water, we'll be using the boat a lot and if we decide it's not worth it, we can do something different next year.

Just curious on everyone else's thoughts that may have done one or multiple of the above options before.

Thanks everyone
Ferg's Tritoon Build
[url]http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17012[/url]

BobL

Re: Trailering vs. Valet vs. Slip Rental

#2 Post by BobL » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:08 pm

Are there no inside storage units available that do not have/require Valet service?

Personally, you might as well rent a boat if choosing between options 1 and 2. I would want to come and go when I please.....and it would drive me nuts if the sun was setting perfectly in the sky and the mood was just right and I was worried about getting the boat back on time or stressing about leaving it unattended in the water.

So I would vote for the slip rental or look for self serve inside storage and bring the truck.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

fergusmj

#3 Post by fergusmj » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:21 pm

No self serve ones that I know about yet. I'm still investigating everything. I know there's ones near where I live, but that would require trailering the boat 30-40 miles when I wanted to use it, which I Know I wouldn't want to do all the time.
Ferg's Tritoon Build

BobL

#4 Post by BobL » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:49 pm

Well I am bored (as our town is basically shut down due to a rare ice/sleet storm) so had a little time to kill.....

http://www.yellowpages.com/monticello-in/storage-units

Maybe some of the ones on this list have one big enough. Not sure of your boat size but a lot of mini storages have spaces that will fit but you would likely have to put your bimini down in "trailering position".

Not sure what pricing is like but where I live, covered storage (and that is with a door that you can pad lock) runs $1200 to $2000 per year and these have units plenty big enough for a 25' toon. The more expensive one has concrete drives and floors, cameras, controlled access via key pad, someone onsite 24x7, etc.

At those prices, the slip is clearly more desirable but you have the theft worry (which may be slight or non-existent). Unless you have some big bad a$$ stereo system or built in GPS/depth finder or expensive trolling motor then most professional thieves would not bother a pontoon. Only drunk kids or meth heads would bother with the standard stuff that comes on a pontoon.

Bamaman

#5 Post by Bamaman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:52 pm

BobL wrote:At those prices, the slip is clearly more desirable but you have the theft worry (which may be slight or non-existent). Unless you have some big bad a$$ stereo system or built in GPS/depth finder or expensive trolling motor then most professional thieves would not bother a pontoon. Only drunk kids or meth heads would bother with the standard stuff that comes on a pontoon.
I saw the sound system in my New Bennington at Best Buys, and it was on sale for $59. My Depth Finder was about $100. No drunk kids or meth heads would be caught with the 4 cheap speakers in my boat. So theft wouldn't be much of a problem on my boat.

Seriously, when leaving boat unprotected, you've got to have a good locker or lockable storage room to put life preservers, etc. into.

I think you've got three good options for reasonable prices. I do like that any nice boat be kept completely out of the rain in order to maximize the lifespan of the upholstery and the carpeting. Keeping it out of the sun is also important. Those mooring covers are just murder to install whenever you're using the boat.

My last pontoon lasted 27 years before the upholstery needed attention, as it was kept inside a boathouse it's whole lifetime.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

ROLAND

#6 Post by ROLAND » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:01 am

Well personally I would nix option#2,,,,, so to me it's between the indoor storage facility and the covered slip with a lift... and you're talking $1500 difference between the two. Personally I like keeping my boat in an indoor storage facility.... Not only does it protect the boat from the elements, but the security of knowing someone's not jacking with your boat while your away. Our indoor facility is 1800 a year ( 125.00 a month ). but we only have to tow our boat about 10 miles each way, and the storage facility is located right on the way to the lake so it's not an inconvenience at all... I might feel differently if I had to tow it 30 miles each way... On the other hand I do know this... you are very much more likely to use your boat more often if it's in a slip.... the convenience of just parking the car or truck and jumping in your boat is hard to beat....
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

fergusmj

#7 Post by fergusmj » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:41 am

Thanks everyone for the input. I myself am leaning towards the slip rental due to the convenience. As for storing stuff, I am going to check with the person renting these and see if I can put an outdoor bench with storage on the top deck which would give me a spot to store my life jackets, etc. Thanks for all the thoughts and points of view.
Ferg's Tritoon Build

MH Hawker

#8 Post by MH Hawker » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:02 am

Mine is on a slip. Its a non covered, no shore power, at a small marine on a 10 hp lake. But its 750 a year with 24 / 7 access and full staff 24 / 7. The staff is first rate and responsive and during the spring start of the boating season. A local boat shop owns the marina and during the spring they keep a tech there to help the owners get running. While it may not have all of the amenity's they sure make it up in service.
If it aint broke your not having enough fun

James & Deb

1988 Riviera Cruiser 15 HP Mariner
05 Silverado Z 71 V8 5.3

Cycleman07

#9 Post by Cycleman07 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:31 am

We are definitely leaning towards getting a slip and lift this year as well and I am only 15 minutes from the ramp at my house. Its just so much more convenient. And on the security thing I give you exhibit A:
boatDamage1.JPG
boatDamage1.JPG (127.79 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
2013 South Bay 524E/Mercury 150 4Stroke
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD SLT 4x4 Duramax

curtiscapk

#10 Post by curtiscapk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:28 am

Dang Ferg!

I cringe everytime I see that pic!
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

Bamaman

#11 Post by Bamaman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:19 pm

That's terrible. It's almost enough to make one put a head unit in that can be completely removed when leaving. Trouble is that on boats, high end sound really needs power boosters and first class speakers.

Cycleman07

#12 Post by Cycleman07 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:59 pm

Here is my set up.

They left the Amp and all the speakers and just took the Source Unit
Clarion.jpg
Clarion.jpg (61.79 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
600 Watt Amp
ClarionAmp.jpg
ClarionAmp.jpg (65.87 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
10" Sub
ClarionSub.jpg
ClarionSub.jpg (105.93 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
There are 6 of these
Clarion6.5.jpg
Clarion6.5.jpg (123.71 KiB) Viewed 2596 times

BobL

#13 Post by BobL » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:55 pm

Cylcelman07.

Was your boat on a trailer or a lift or in the water? Was it covered? Just curious....

By the way, one of my buddies rigged up a locking type cover and guess what, they just cut the cover. The cover was worth about 10 times as much as what was stolen. For me, it is cheaper to let them see you don't have anything worth stealing :lol3

Cycleman07

#14 Post by Cycleman07 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:23 pm

It was covered, in a gated parking lot on its trailer. They pulled the cover back but didn't tear it up

Bamaman

#15 Post by Bamaman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:12 pm

Bass boats have alarm systems available. You'd think a pontoon boat could have an alarm fitted--if there's anyone around to hear it.